News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 09, 2017, 05:09:22 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 09, 2017, 03:51:59 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 08, 2017, 01:07:42 AM
Guess who has two thumbs and just got promoted based on shitpocalypse and some energy efficiency work?

:banana:

The title is nice, and so is the recognition, but it's the filthy fucking lucre that hits me in the feels.

TGRR,
Icarus?  Never heard of him.

:)

I get all tingly thinking about how ultimately some douche attempting to lay you low has resulted in you finding greater opportunity. Glad to hear it!

Yeah, he's still a douchebag, though.

Yeah. I'm hoping they get found out. Even more I'm hoping they don't find out about being found out until it's far too late.  :evil:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 09, 2017, 05:15:04 AM
Guess who has two thumbs and just got promoted based on shitpocalypse and some energy efficiency work?

The title is nice, and so is the recognition, but it's the filthy fucking lucre that hits me in the feels.

TGRR,

I get all tingly thinking about how ultimately some douche attempting to lay you low has resulted in you finding greater opportunity. Glad to hear it!

Yeah. I'm hoping they get found out. Even more I'm hoping they don't find out about being found out until it's far too late.  :evil:

Wait.  What?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 09, 2017, 05:24:31 AM

TGRR,

Wait.  What?

That whoever may be responsible gets caught and doesn't realize it.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 09, 2017, 05:26:49 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 09, 2017, 05:24:31 AM

TGRR,

Wait.  What?

That whoever may be responsible gets caught and doesn't realize it.

As a side note I just took my pills about a couple hours ago. My coherence may vary.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Brother Mythos

TGRR,

Congratulations!

So, you really are one of those guys people tell stories about. By that I mean those mythical guys that can fall into shithouses and come out wearing new suits. How about that!
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

Cain

The Wizard Joseph

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

I just read a straight faced, no bullshit article on why using goblins as bad guys in D&D is "problematic", in that it's colonialism.  Because it's totally okay to conflate real people with real lives with imaginary bad guys.

SHARK HAS BEEN JUMPED, RWHN HAS BEEN ACHIEVED.

But let's all keep on going.  See where it takes us.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

This is one of those "I've just learned a word so I'm going to apply it even if its not actually useful here" moments.

Like, the thing about portraying goblins as Always Chaotic Evil is stupid and lazy, but any half-decent DM knows how to work around that (just in the way you get marauding human gangs bent on conquest - see Syria - goblins can do exactly the same).  Goblins are just like people, only smaller, greener and worth less XP.  Which means just like humans, they can be shit.

(fun fact: Tolkein was always uncomfortable with his own portrayal of Orcs as being beyond the possibility of redemption, due to his own Catholic beliefs).

Also, besides the point, but if they are talking about that, the age of propaganda that portrays your enemy as subhuman does coincide with the high tide of European empires, but occured way after the process of colonisation.  As Darwinian concepts became more acceptable in the mainsteam, they were married to an ugly form of nationalism that was often directed first and foremost against other European nations, as a form of war preparation, psychologically prepping society for action in the event of conflict.  By the 1890s, such a conflict was already seen as inevitable, and likely played a key role in the rise of fascism (the more you know...).

hooplala

Just won $500 worth of booze!

Scrid, everyone's drinks are on me!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Freeky

I made my first sale last week. :D

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 10, 2017, 04:34:44 AM
I just read a straight faced, no bullshit article on why using goblins as bad guys in D&D is "problematic", in that it's colonialism.  Because it's totally okay to conflate real people with real lives with imaginary bad guys.

Link? My googlefu is weak and showing me wiki entries on the common goblin for every RPG ever.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on July 10, 2017, 08:23:36 PM

Link? My googlefu is weak and showing me wiki entries on the common goblin for every RPG ever.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/20416871387/permalink/10155585401021388/

hooplala

Meant to comment on this earlier... I had a player in a game make this exact argument. It was the Extremely Green Baby Making Machine I have written about in the past... Sometimes DMing is not even worth it.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on July 10, 2017, 11:49:40 PM

Meant to comment on this earlier... I had a player in a game make this exact argument. It was the Extremely Green Baby Making Machine I have written about in the past... Sometimes DMing is not even worth it.

Yeah, I am reasonably certain my other players would make the offender do "The Walk of a Thousand Four-Siders" for wrecking the game with real world horseshit.