News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Thanks, I read this last week and it promptly fell out of my head. Like Cain said, this reads either like someone who just learned what (neo)colonialism is and is suddenly very very troubled by their elfgame, or who just learned some new word to make themselves sound erudite. I don't think they are 100% wrong, several TSR era depictions of goblins and other humanoids did lean heavily on negative stereotyping of minorities to extent that they were illustrated like pickaninnies in a at least one TSR supplement. But I do think that they are far from clever in their "subvert the trope" because almost everybody does that with humanoids at least once.

If you really want to bind him around his axle, call his use of "race" to describe a separate species problematic.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 10, 2017, 04:34:44 AM
I just read a straight faced, no bullshit article on why using goblins as bad guys in D&D is "problematic", in that it's colonialism.  Because it's totally okay to conflate real people with real lives with imaginary bad guys.

SHARK HAS BEEN JUMPED, RWHN HAS BEEN ACHIEVED.

But let's all keep on going.  See where it takes us.

Goblins = Jews
Dwarves = Mexicans
Elves=White People
Orcs= ????
Dark Elves= Asians
Halflings= Middle Easterner's
Otherkin= ????

Cain

Orcs are Maoris and Otherkin are Nazi Furs.  It is known.

Bruno

and in ST:TOS Klingons were, like, space mongolians or something maybe, then in ST:TNG they were space black space vikings.

It was very confusing.
Formerly something else...

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on July 11, 2017, 04:30:36 AM
Orcs are Maoris and Otherkin are Nazi Furs.  It is known.

It is known.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Trivial

Goddamnit I want beer, I want sushi, I want a fucking melty chocolate chip cookie, and lemon meringue pie.  :argh!:
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.