News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

How does one go about "positively" proving one is "not" a racist?

Started by nobodyhome, January 13, 2017, 02:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nobodyhome

Or is proving that one is not something a fools game that someone like me with OCD is drawn in to?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: xerosaburu on January 13, 2017, 02:34:35 AM
Or is proving that one is not something a fools game that someone like me with OCD is drawn in to?

By not doing or saying racist things.  It's just that simple.

You can't prove it by arguing.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Q. G. Pennyworth

By caring more about the negative effects of racism than whether someone calls you racist.

Salty

But really, you can't.

It's sort of like nuclear fall out, you don't just get a pass just because you feel bad.

We live in a society built on bones and blood. Its sort of like when those kayakers got made fun of for protesting an oil company while using petroleum products. There is no other alternative.

Black, Asians, the multitude of others are all capable of engaging in, and incapable of escaping racism. Just like white people. It's just that, through massive apathy and an unwillingness to acknowledge this inherent facet of our society, it's hard to admit that we're all racist as fuck.

Just because you don't want to exterminate people doesn't mean you're not racist.

You can always strive to not be a piece of shit though, as we all must.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Everybody's racist. You grow up in a racist society, you pick up shitty racist ideas even if you are trying not to. Even if you're black. Yeah, that's right; black people in the US are racist against other black people, and against themselves. It's called internalized racism, and it's pretty fucked up. So the one thing we can all do is realize that we all have fucked-up racist ideas and reactions that we don't even consciously know we have, because when you KNOW, you can try to stop. And the very best way to do that is to pay attention to what the people who are affected the most by racism are saying about it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Rev Thwack

Wait, are we really asking for sound logical proof of a negative, or can we just go with an answer like "sweet, romantic intercourse with members of all other ethnic groups and races"?

I mean, it would at least be an enjoyable way of proving you're not a racist.
My balls itch...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I didn't know there was a magical force-field that prevents racist people's genitals from contacting the genitals of people of different races. Huh.

I guess all that slave owner rape never happened... what a relief for history, huh?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

The question implies there's a state of being one can have where there is no bias, stereotyping, tribalism, or othering.

I question the truth value of that implication.

Faust

A power point presentation is a good way to show people your cultural sensitivity, see the father Ted episode for reference

This sounds like you've put your foot in it with some comment, if so just do the right thing and apologise and move on with your life. It happened to me a few months back at a party when I asked one of the people I was chatting to what part of Asia they were from... That turned out to be Brazil, so as I said you can apologise or move on and forget about it, or you can do what I did: Never show my face in public again, being sure to flagellate once a night while shouting "stupid, stupid, stupid".
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Faust on January 13, 2017, 05:11:56 PM
A power point presentation is a good way to show people your cultural sensitivity, see the father Ted episode for reference

This sounds like you've put your foot in it with some comment, if so just do the right thing and apologise and move on with your life. It happened to me a few months back at a party when I asked one of the people I was chatting to what part of Asia they were from... That turned out to be Brazil, so as I said you can apologise or move on and forget about it, or you can do what I did: Never show my face in public again, being sure to flagellate once a night while shouting "stupid, stupid, stupid".

:lulz:

Sorry Faust, but that's pretty hilariously cringey. I hope they were gentle about it.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on January 13, 2017, 05:11:56 PM

To be fair, the native occupants of Brazil are Asiatic. Even I can't always tell whether someone is Asian or Native without asking.

But this also gives me a great idea... I'm going to start asking white people what part of Europe they're from. This is going to be hilarious!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2017, 04:32:50 PM
The question implies there's a state of being one can have where there is no bias, stereotyping, tribalism, or othering.

I question the truth value of that implication.

I would say that the truth value is nonexistent.

I would also, as QG so aptly implied, wonder about the priorities of someone who is mostly interested in not looking racist.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel