News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

How does one go about "positively" proving one is "not" a racist?

Started by nobodyhome, January 13, 2017, 02:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 13, 2017, 05:50:52 PM
But this also gives me a great idea... I'm going to start asking white people what part of Europe they're from. This is going to be hilarious!

This would be a fantastic stand-alone instagram account or tumblr page.

Cain

I just add, "speaking as a non-racist" at the end of all my sentences.

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2017, 06:22:21 PM
But this also gives me a great idea... I'm going to start asking white people what part of Europe they're from. This is going to be hilarious!

Hmmmm...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 13, 2017, 06:25:07 PM
I just add, "speaking as a non-racist" at the end of all my sentences.

:lulz: It was super-effective!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 13, 2017, 08:10:53 PM

Hmmmm...

For maximum effectiveness, I think you would have to phrase it as "Where are you from?" and then when they answer some American city "No, no, where are you really from?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on January 13, 2017, 08:31:56 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 13, 2017, 08:10:53 PM

Hmmmm...

For maximum effectiveness, I think you would have to phrase it as "Where are you from?" and then when they answer some American city "No, no, where are you really from?"

I was thinking about phrasing it the way I get asked most often: "So, what tribe of European are you?"

LMNO

Now I really want to do that genetic ancestry test, so I can get really specific when someone asks where I'm from.

Cain

My great-great-great-great-great grandfather was a shield bearer for a Lombard chieftan, and I myself am 1/16th Lombard.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 13, 2017, 09:09:00 PM
My great-great-great-great-great grandfather was a shield bearer for a Lombard chieftan, and I myself am 1/16th Lombard.

:lol:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2017, 09:08:36 PM
Now I really want to do that genetic ancestry test, so I can get really specific when someone asks where I'm from.

You can get really stunningly specific with Western Europe, but much less so with ancestry from pretty much everywhere else in the world.

It's kind of a bummer, really, but it's just based on sample availability.

LMNO

Considering I'm FANTASTICALY Caucasian, I should be able to get it to writhing a few meters.

Ziegejunge

Synchronistically, my uncle was asking me yesterday about our mtDNA haplogroup, so this morning I drafted him an email on the topic. During the course of writing said email, I learned quite a bit, generally speaking, about my roots.

I doubt my "tribe" would ever deign to claim me, but it's still kind of fun to ponder the evidence of one's origins.

With regard to the OP, there have already been plenty of good responses and I don't have much else to add besides "Who is asking you to positively prove that you are not a racist?" Rhetorical; I feel like that says a lot more about them, the querent, than it necessarily says about you.

But I tend to agree that the best answer to the question is not provided with words.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2017, 10:26:49 PM
Considering I'm FANTASTICALY Caucasian, I should be able to get it to writhing a few meters.

:eek: Tell autocorrect I said thank you for that stunning mental image.

Bu🤠ns

to answer the question what /is/ racism i think something like often unexamined thoughts and behaviors that either explicitly or implicitly imply the superiority of one race over another. So if you're trying to prove to yourself that you're not, I'd begin with some personal examination and reflection.  If you're trying to prove to someone else, I'd first need to understand the context to even begin to deal with it.