News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

Do impossible thoughts exist?

Started by nobodyhome, January 13, 2017, 03:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

Rev Thwack

Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2017, 04:28:24 PM
Quote from: Rev Thwack on January 13, 2017, 03:29:53 PM
If I had the ability to think impossible thoughts, would a brain that is limited by possibility have the ability to process the discussion of my impossible thought to the point where it could even recognize the impossibility of the thought being discussed?

Please define the bolded.

By defining impossible, would I not be limiting impossibility to that which is merely possible to those without the ability to process impossible thoughts?
My balls itch...

LMNO

If the terms are undefined, the question is meaningless.

Ugh, sophists.

Rev Thwack

Quote from: LMNO on January 14, 2017, 04:18:25 PM
If the terms are undefined, the question is meaningless.

Ugh, sophists.

Agreed
My balls itch...

minuspace

Quote from: Rev Thwack on January 14, 2017, 03:29:43 PM
Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2017, 04:28:24 PM
Quote from: Rev Thwack on January 13, 2017, 03:29:53 PM
If I had the ability to think impossible thoughts, would a brain that is limited by possibility have the ability to process the discussion of my impossible thought to the point where it could even recognize the impossibility of the thought being discussed?

Please define the bolded.

By defining impossible, would I not be limiting impossibility to that which is merely possible to those without the ability to process impossible thoughts?

We also just have fun by defining impossible as Nothingness.

nobodyhome

Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2017, 01:16:35 PM
Quote from: xerosaburu on January 13, 2017, 03:31:29 AM
Do impossible thoughts exist or are they only imagined to exist such that we imagine the existence of an impossible thought and think we are thinking about it when we are in point of fact not thinking about it at all?

Define "exist".

Exist - Having the boundary condition of non-existence

Freeky

Quote from: xerosaburu on January 19, 2017, 03:01:30 AM
Do impossible thoughts exist or are they only imagined to exist such that we imagine the existence of an impossible thought and think we are thinking about it when we are in point of fact not thinking about it at all?

Define "exist".

This level of nonsense is rage-inducing, unless you are not a native english speaker.

Faust

Define "exist".

Try again, without having to use the term to describe itself.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

minuspace

Define "exist".

Just in re:extant things: 
Nothing Exists!*

* Both in Philosophy and also its natural thingie commonly called science, something something negative energy density or what have you.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Define "exist".

Didn't they tell you in middle school that you don't use a word to define itself? Think about it for a minute...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Define "exist".

:pope:
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Cain

That depends, can God make an object so heavy that he himself cannot lift it?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

\
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Asking the hard questions here.  This is the kind of grueling inquisition that the press could only dream of.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 20, 2017, 01:58:57 AM
Asking the hard questions here.  This is the kind of grueling inquisition that the press could only dream of.

Mr President, have you considered even if only somewhat?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.