News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Post your examples of socially unjust laws which exist where you live

Started by nobodyhome, January 27, 2017, 11:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: xerosaburu on January 29, 2017, 06:18:05 PM
I'm not sure what's wrong with equal treatment under the law.

Do you think that all laws are good and just, so long as they're equally applied?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 29, 2017, 06:26:11 PM

Do you think that laws are good and just, so long as they're equally applied?

Like if everyone who can't apply basic reasoning skills get launched into the sun via a space-capsule full of bees?

Sounds fair to me.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Salty on January 29, 2017, 06:27:35 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 29, 2017, 06:26:11 PM

Do you think that laws are good and just, so long as they're equally applied?

Like if everyone who can't apply basic reasoning skills get launched into the sun via a space-capsule full of bees?

Sounds fair to me.

Totally fair, and therefore just.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's totally cool to send poors to poor farms, as long as all poors are treated equally.

Long jail sentences for possession of marijuana? Absolutely no injustice there, provided the law itself doesn't contain any clause targeting certain groups.

Abortion ban? Completely just, given that the law applies to all women.

I mean, no matter how invasive, pointless, or restrictive a law is, there can be zero injustice as long as it's applied fairly.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I can't imagine what injustice there is in rounding up the homeless, burning their possessions, and jailing them; I mean, the law applies equally to all the homeless, so it's gotta be completely just and right.

Dildo Argentino

Nothing wrong with it. I wish some polity would try it one these days. But, as a matter of fact, the actual laws also matter, as kind people have been trying to explain to you.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

nobodyhome

Quote from: Dildo Argentino on January 29, 2017, 08:29:40 PM

Nothing wrong with it. I wish some polity would try it one these days. But, as a matter of fact, the actual laws also matter, as kind people have been trying to explain to you.

Specifically, which statutes?

Salty

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: xerosaburu on January 29, 2017, 11:01:49 PM

Measure 11

Those are the first two unjust laws that come to mind, but maybe you can think of others.

Salty

ITT: A childlike misapprehension of the nature of law, as it applies socially, but also generally.

Do you actually think that law itself is merely statutes? Do you really have no idea how the justice system works or are you just playing stupid for trolling purposes? There is, of course, a third possibility.

nobodyhome

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 29, 2017, 11:26:07 PM
Quote from: xerosaburu on January 29, 2017, 11:01:49 PM

Measure 11

Those are the first two unjust laws that come to mind, but maybe you can think of others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Ballot_Measure_11_(1994)

After reading the reports on the measure, I'd have to agree.

Shifting the burden from judges to prosecutors and letting prosecutors use the threat of measure 11 to get plea bargains strikes me as unjust. More importantly, though it doesn't deal with the root issues driving various kinds of crimes.

I'm saying this from a purely practical stand-point. Not because I have any feeling for offenders.

It's wrong not only because of the justice issue, but more importantly, because it's ultimately not effective.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah. That's what practically everyone in the state of Oregon over 5th grade has also concluded.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: xerosaburu on January 30, 2017, 02:29:48 AM
Not because I have any feeling for offenders.

It's wrong not only because of the justice issue, but more importantly, because it's ultimately not effective.

You should stop talking.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have a feeling that what we're dealing with here is someone very young who is too smart for 4chan, but still