News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Post your examples of socially unjust laws which exist where you live

Started by nobodyhome, January 27, 2017, 11:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

hooplala

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Freeky

Quote from: Hoopla on February 02, 2017, 12:30:06 AM
Quote from: Salty on February 02, 2017, 12:27:07 AM
I am too full of sympathy to click that link.  :cry:

It's jive. You're missing nothing.

I dunno what jive means in this context, but xero is DEFINITELY throwing a big baby tantrum right now. :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky on February 02, 2017, 03:54:25 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on February 02, 2017, 12:30:06 AM
Quote from: Salty on February 02, 2017, 12:27:07 AM
I am too full of sympathy to click that link.  :cry:

It's jive. You're missing nothing.

I dunno what jive means in this context, but xero is DEFINITELY throwing a big baby tantrum right now. :lulz:

And aren't we all just very, very surprised?  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

I am unsure why the alt-right shitbags think they'll get an appreciative audience here.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

00.dusk

I'm not sure he's an alt-righter judging by a quick internet dig I did. I'd share but there's nothing incriminating and he's tied his username to his real life identity pretty well. I feel a little dirty for doing it.

I think he's genuinely ignorant of how he looks. Normally I'd want to smash him anyway but the digging I did makes him look like he wants to learn, which is not what I expected to turn up. In fact, that he engaged us at all makes me feel like he's interested in learning. As far back as the 13th other people told him it'd be best to dismiss anyone who says "racist" as unworthy of chatting with. Near as I can tell, he never said a word on that forum again, but he's engaged us. He doesn't seem like the trolling type, judging by his history, so I've got no fucking clue why he's acting the way he is here, but I don't think he initially came here in bad faith.

I'm going to give him a shot to get off his knuckles and act like a biped on that basis. Just the one shot, though.

So, man without a Subaru, lay it out clear and succinct, one at a time:

What do you not understand could be taken offensively?
Do you understand that the source you gave is bad?
Do you have any references from people who don't have an agenda to sell you (e.g., random people who live in the countries you are talking about)?
Do you have statistics?
Are you aware that ideologies are independent of intelligence, and that you are not immune to being co-opted by someone else's groupthink just because you're a member of isi-s.iqsociety.org?
Have you examined your beliefs and what you think you know is true in detail?
Have you checked the opposing side?
Have you validated the sources of them both?
Have you seen if either side has an agenda that might drive them to lie?
Have you looked at the data from independent non-agenda-driven sources and seen which side is closest to that data?

hooplala

I would say run of the mill early stage libertarian, though it's close enough for horseshoes. And don't feel bad for snooping online, Google-fu is an old pastime here.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Faust

Yeah, I don't think he is racist. But pointing to the country thats recidivism makes it look like a star trek like paradise and quoting all the foreigners are coming is and raping the women is at best idiotic, at worst pushing a racist agenda.

Norway has had a bias against immigrants, it had before Anders shooting, regurgitating their insecurities and baseless xenophobias is silly.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

00.dusk

I can tell he's gone through some pretty wild changes in belief system from his past. I might be giving him a bit too much credit, though, by thinking hes fixable.

Either way, one more chance can't hurt. Either we get to bash a fascist or he stands the fuck up on his hind legs. Both options please me.

@Faust, yes, agreed. That's why I'm thinking a chance for him to re-examine where he's coming from is worthwhile. If he fucks up and goes all puppet-like, we feed him to the wolves. And the wolves are no doubt hungry, it looks as though they haven't been fed in almost three years.

If not, we get another functionally decent person. Seems like a win to me.

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't have time to waste on idiots or bullshit. If you guys can train him to evaluate his sources and formulate a coherent argument, I might take him off ignore. Until then, he stays on the very short list of people whose posts I don't even bother reading.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 02, 2017, 07:05:04 AM
I am unsure why the alt-right shitbags think they'll get an appreciative audience here.

We're FREETHINKERS dontcha know??

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Don Coyote

Quote from: Hoopla on February 02, 2017, 05:26:53 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 02, 2017, 07:05:04 AM

We're FREETHINKERS dontcha know??

Except when we disagree with their clearly logical and truthful stance, then we are brainwashed sheep people.