Post your examples of socially unjust laws which exist where you live

Started by nobodyhome, January 27, 2017, 11:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: Don Coyote on February 02, 2017, 07:25:51 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on February 02, 2017, 05:26:53 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 02, 2017, 07:05:04 AM
I am unsure why the alt-right shitbags think they'll get an appreciative audience here.

We're FREETHINKERS dontcha know??

Except when we disagree with their clearly logical and truthful stance, then we are brainwashed sheep people.

Zactly.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

nobodyhome

I think I've made a mistake coming here.

I meant no ill will to anyone, but I looked this place up because I thought, perhaps weirdos would tolerate a discussion of any topic, but I don't think that's possible anywhere these days.

I think ideas, no matter what they may be can be discussed without a bunch of name-calling.

What I like to do, is throw out a controversial idea, one that is emotionally evocative and one that people often avoid addressing intellectually and then try looking at it from a lot of different vantage points. I liken it to putting an argument into a particle accelerator and letting it collide with another argument. You get a lot out of looking at the pieces.

Now you'll review the thread, you'll see how quickly the name-calling began.

I'm pretty thick-skinned, but I won't just play the name-calling game because it's boring. (not that I haven't in the past, but I'm pretty saturated with that nonsense and I'm ready to move on to other nonsense)

I can see that a lot of you are creative intelligent and no doubt well-meaning people, but only within certain borders. (Yes I have borders too and I'm not better than anyone else here...but I don't think I'm any worse either)

So anyway I'm not an important person for anyone to be concerned with, but I was PM'ed so I thought I'd reply in some way before I "flounced".

Cheers!

Don Coyote

Quote from: nobodyhome on February 02, 2017, 10:34:58 PM

Yes
I meant no ill will to anyone, but I looked this place up because I thought, perhaps weirdos would tolerate a discussion of any topic, but I don't think that's possible anywhere these days.

Oh yes let's have a discussion on whatever garbage it was you came peddling that we totally haven't read before

I think ideas, no matter what they may be can be discussed without a bunch of name-calling.

It's almost like you either came here explicitly to get asspains or didn't even bother reading

What I like to do, is throw out a controversial idea, one that is emotionally evocative and one that people often avoid addressing intellectually and then try looking at it from a lot of different vantage points. I liken it to putting an argument into a particle accelerator and letting it collide with another argument. You get a lot out of looking at the pieces.

So, was this a
sociological experiment?

naw
I'm pretty thick-skinned, but I won't just play the name-calling game because it's boring. (not that I haven't in the past, but I'm pretty saturated with that nonsense and I'm ready to move on to other nonsense)
Sez you
I can see that a lot of you are creative intelligent and no doubt well-meaning people, but only within certain borders. (Yes I have borders too and I'm not better than anyone else here...but I don't think I'm any worse either)

is this the second half of a neg?

So anyway I'm not an important person for anyone to be concerned with, but I was PM'ed so I thought I'd reply in some way before I "flounced".

Cheers!

Bye Felcia

00.dusk

What a grand disappointment. I gave him a chance to be a biped.

At least he didn't shit on the carpet on the way out.

hooplala

Cheers!

Good sir, this is page 9 of this thread. I would say everyone has been discussing this (currently hot button topic) with relative politeness. If you honestly think THIS was name calling, you clearly didn't do your research here. Shit get vicious, you need to wear your big-boys pants. You may think you are pretty thick skinned, but you need adamantium skin to truly get by here.  You certainly CAN discuss anything here, but don't expect people to love you for it.

I don't know if you noticed, but we're actually sliding down the slippery slope into a fascist regime, so please forgive everyone for not piling onboard your bus of "those cultures", because that's what got us here. Those sort of thoughts are the enemy of people who don't want to en up in a world which is setting up detention camps again. Feel freeo to espouse those opinions but please do not try to babysit our reactions.

Apart from places on the internet where you post anonymously, this is as good as you are goin to get.

Also, one last thing, no we do not all agree on everything here. However, this topic, the one you decided to poke at, this one we mostly do. So, points for bravery or ignorance, mmmmmkay?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on February 02, 2017, 10:48:28 PM

So, was this a
sociological experiment?

Bingo.

You could time your toast by these people.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on February 03, 2017, 12:02:17 AM

Cheers!

Good sir, this is page 9 of this thread. I would say everyone has been discussing this (currently hot button topic) with relative politeness. If you honestly think THIS was name calling, you clearly didn't do your research here. Shit get vicious, you need to wear your big-boys pants. You may think you are pretty thick skinned, but you need adamantium skin to truly get by here.  You certainly CAN discuss anything here, but don't expect people to love you for it.

I don't know if you noticed, but we're actually sliding down the slippery slope into a fascist regime, so please forgive everyone for not piling onboard your bus of "those cultures", because that's what got us here. Those sort of thoughts are the enemy of people who don't want to en up in a world which is setting up detention camps again. Feel freeo to espouse those opinions but please do not try to babysit our reactions.

Apart from places on the internet where you post anonymously, this is as good as you are goin to get.

Also, one last thing, no we do not all agree on everything here. However, this topic, the one you decided to poke at, this one we mostly do. So, points for bravery or ignorance, mmmmmkay?

He's a rebel, though. A freethinker. Asking the hard questions, the questions that nobody asks except for absolutely every racist ever to find a discussion forum. I don't know how anybody could mistake him for a racist when he is just secretly playing devil's advocate, which is of course a completely mature and intellectually honest way to approach people you respect.

I mean, GOSH.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

You wouldn't be the first. The first time I came here my exact thoughts were: CHRIST, WHAT A BUNCH OF ASSHOLES.

I, for one, was waiting for a response to the many questions and other posts made in response to your thread. You responded with extreme glibness.

A. A wise spag once said, "Glibness isn't the same cleverness."
B. It didn't answer the god damned questions posed and wasted my time. Nobody here knows you, and generally the first interaction is basically going to just be repeated over and over until it doesn't.

Yeah, I think YOU are the one getting emotional. That's why you are ready to flounce. You think this treatment is personal. We are miserable bastards to EACH OTHER. Deep, seething hatred for fellow Discordians paints the walls of this place.

Also, it turns out that when people get real heated because they are judged solely on the ideas they present as well as their arguments for them, (I think) their truer nature makes itself known. Discordia is like a mirror. Well, PD Discordia is, IMO. All the bullshit you experience whenever you are the Smartest Guy In The Room is totally absent here. There's a lot of very clever people here ready to eat each other's faces off, is what I am trying to say.

Yeah. That's a damned shame.

We'll tell you when you're saturated.
       /
:rush:

The first part, totally. The second part, ehhhh.

Cheers!

Everybody is important.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Let me just add that there are many constructive approaches to playing Devil's Advocate.

This was not one.

tyrannosaurus vex

It's just that there are four common positions that, when you see them, are always a warning sign of racism:
- "People from other places are unevolved and/or violent, and allowing them to come here will screw up our equilibrium."
- "Everyone gets what they deserve and/or work for in life, as evidenced by exceptions A, B, and C to the general rule."
- "Enforcing equality for some at the expense of privilege for others is unjust/immoral."
- "Human nature is such that mingling cultures/races/religions will never work out in the long term."

If a person takes one or maybe two of these positions, there is a chance that they are simply mistaken, uneducated, or have never been exposed to the real world. Which is why you got some amount of engagement when you first started. But when it becomes clear that a person has accepted three or four of these as gospel, then there is virtually no chance that the person is innocently ignorant. No one develops a worldview based on these pillars without being exposed to plenty of rational, well-evidenced arguments and historical experiences to the contrary. At that point, it becomes clear you have an agenda that we are not interested in, not only because it is wrong, but because at this point it is dreadfully repetitive and boring. Also, the "devil's advocate" defense is laughable at this point.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on February 03, 2017, 09:18:34 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 03, 2017, 03:22:52 AM
which guy was this, again?

The one didn't like you poking fun at his Youtube link.

Ron Paul?  China wossname?  The other one?

It's all a blur.  It's one low-rent, "alt-right" dirtbag after another.  There's no end to it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.