News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

FATAL - the date rape RPG (only there are no rules for dating)

Started by Cain, June 18, 2010, 08:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadBeast

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on August 13, 2010, 04:18:29 PM
Quote from: BadBeast on August 13, 2010, 12:58:48 PM
This game is clearly sending out mixed messages to "The Kids" who play it.

Using genuine Historical references, to validate the dynamics of the game, then slipping a indefensible concept like the objectification of women, well, that's just perpetuating the negative stereotype that has plunged western society into it's present moral decline. And to add insult to injury, the gameplay seems to be "Clunky" too!  Never got this level of outrage with San Andreas!
And why? Because all through the whole GTA Series, there was the possibilty of getting caught by the Police, or Shot by the Police, or even the Military. There were always consequences to your Crimes, and I think this went a long way to instill a positive morality to it's players, that can only be applauded.
Games aren't what they used to be.

I would agree with you, except no one actually plays this game.
Yeah, I didn't think they did, maybe if they worked on the clunky game play a little, sales might pick up. It also doesn't say if it is aimed at any particular platform, or minimum hardware specifications. It's almost as if the developement team were either totally incapable of
grasping any idea of marketing the product, or having some kind of elaborate industry injoke, that nobody outside a very select group of socially maladjusted colleagues would ever get.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Telarus

Yeah, I've had friends actually go and play Human Occupied Landfill (HOL), but never even consider playing FATAL.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

Some people have "confessed" to playing FATAL on certain RPG forums, where flame wars still rage on the topic, but whether or not they are merely sockpuppets of the creators of the game is very much up for debate.

eighteen buddha strike

Fatal is unplayable. 90% of characters die in creation, and the other 10% die of vaginal tearing or anal trauma within minutes. The game itself is allowed to survive as an anomaly; something to remind us just how batshit insane people can produce truly hilarious, yet disturbing, results.

Except that your unlikely to ever find a copy of the game in print. Its kind of a bizarre collectors item.

President Television

Quote from: eighteen buddha strike on August 14, 2010, 02:26:50 PM
Fatal is unplayable. 90% of characters die in creation, and the other 10% die of vaginal tearing or anal trauma within minutes. The game itself is allowed to survive as an anomaly; something to remind us just how batshit insane people can produce truly hilarious, yet disturbing, results.

Except that your unlikely to ever find a copy of the game in print. Its kind of a bizarre collectors item.

A 900-page collector's item.  :|
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: BadBeast on August 13, 2010, 05:10:28 PM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on August 13, 2010, 04:18:29 PM
Quote from: BadBeast on August 13, 2010, 12:58:48 PM
This game is clearly sending out mixed messages to "The Kids" who play it.

Using genuine Historical references, to validate the dynamics of the game, then slipping a indefensible concept like the objectification of women, well, that's just perpetuating the negative stereotype that has plunged western society into it's present moral decline. And to add insult to injury, the gameplay seems to be "Clunky" too!  Never got this level of outrage with San Andreas!
And why? Because all through the whole GTA Series, there was the possibilty of getting caught by the Police, or Shot by the Police, or even the Military. There were always consequences to your Crimes, and I think this went a long way to instill a positive morality to it's players, that can only be applauded.
Games aren't what they used to be.

I would agree with you, except no one actually plays this game.
Yeah, I didn't think they did, maybe if they worked on the clunky game play a little, sales might pick up. It also doesn't say if it is aimed at any particular platform, or minimum hardware specifications. It's almost as if the developement team were either totally incapable of
grasping any idea of marketing the product, or having some kind of elaborate industry injoke, that nobody outside a very select group of socially maladjusted colleagues would ever get.

This is all true, but it's a tabletop pen-and-paper RPG.

Yeah, that's right. You're supposed to generate and run this shit by hand. In theory, anyway. In practice, everyone laughs at the scumbucket creator and his filthy turd of a "game".

Junkenstein

I suspect this is the review mentioned at the start of the thread

https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14567.phtml

ITS FUCKING GLORIOUS.

QuoteWell, let's just see what it looks like underneath this rock

OH MY GOD SWEET JESUS NO

QuoteSo, basically, saying that this game should be burned is an insult to fire.

QuoteThen there's the charts - pages and pages and pages of charts. I should mention that the Bodily Attractiveness stat affects your breast cup size, although, of course, only for women. Oh, and you can get "retard strength". Check the formula out for determining this:

(71 - retard Intelligence) x 3 = (% chance of Retard Strength).

I hate the author. I really fucking do.

The entire thing is pretty long, but worth it.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

It turns out FATAL has competition:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/08/21/advanced-discrimination-dragons-critical-look-varg-vikernes-myfarog-rpg/

Key words in the link - "varg vikernes"

QuoteLook, I'm not stupid. I know why you clicked on this link. You want to know just how racist this RPG is. Well, spoiler: it's really fucking racist.

QuoteBasically, you're trying to survive in a barbaric, Iron Age land governed by the philosophy of a man who happens to be a big fan of Hitler, Nietzsche, and Social Darwinism. Varg has done a lot of research into the culture and lifestyle of prehistoric Europeans, but even the most historically accurate material has been so colored by his toxic worldview that it feels made up. Life in Thule seems to be nasty, brutish, and short, and it's governed by a whole lot of rules. Fascists tend to like rules.

QuoteDon't worry, though. People of Middle Eastern and African descent are represented. They are the "filthy", "vulgar", "poorly educated", "animalistic" Koparmenn ("Copper Men"). You can't play them; they are intended to be cannon fodder. There are two varieties of Copper Men: the Skrælingr ("Weaklings") and the Myrklingr ("Darklings"). I'm pretty sure that the Weaklings are supposed to be Semitic people, as they receive a bonus to trickery. The Darklings, meanwhile, receive a bonus to spear throwing. You can guess who they're supposed to represent.

QuoteIn fact, one of the suggested quest ideas is literally ethnic cleansing

Pretty good review of an utter shitshow.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

It's definitely got the "tables that spread across multiple pages, to make pointless checks with because you're a cretin who can't figure out something for yourself" bit down pat.

Also the anti-semitism.