News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

Cynicism

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, February 08, 2017, 04:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO on February 13, 2017, 02:01:31 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 12, 2017, 11:49:18 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on February 12, 2017, 03:07:11 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 11, 2017, 03:01:41 PM
I think that it's rare for simple cynicism to have any value whatsoever, for the simple reason that it's not for the benefit of the discussion, but for the benefit of the would-be cynic's ego. I think it most often emerges when a topic is over someone's head, which feels threatening to them, so they bolster themselves by making a dismissive cynical statement that allows them to leave their sense of intellectual competence intact without actually seeking a deeper understanding of the subject.

"Whatever, the sun will engulf the earth in 5 billion years so everything is pointless" (do we need a emote of that libertarian saying this? yes?)

YES.

Yes, we do!

Gary Johnson actually did say this, here (54:15 mark).

:horrormirth:...  :horrormirth:

Sure... take the long view. Our planet is going to get enveloped in a fiery nuclear corona no matter what. Let's just drop alllll of the bombs now so we can make a big enough noise in spacetime to maybe act as a warning to other conscious species about the pointlessness of existence.

I sometimes wonder if Bootes' Void was some kind of weapon effect from a species that figured out how to manipulate the Higgs field and decided to REALLY leave a mark on the cosmos. If so I'm guessing that the beings responsible were not that different from Libertarians.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think that it's rare for simple cynicism to have any value whatsoever, for the simple reason that it's not for the benefit of the discussion, but for the benefit of the would-be cynic's ego. I think it most often emerges when a topic is over someone's head, which feels threatening to them, so they bolster themselves by making a dismissive cynical statement that allows them to leave their sense of intellectual competence intact without actually seeking a deeper understanding of the subject.

"Whatever, the sun will engulf the earth in 5 billion years so everything is pointless" (do we need a emote of that libertarian saying this? yes?)

YES.

Yes, we do!

I know; it was hilarious! That's why we need an emote of it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 13, 2017, 05:16:14 PM

YES.

Yes, we do!

Thanks LMNO. Got a screen cap for the image.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Don Coyote on February 13, 2017, 06:06:08 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 13, 2017, 05:16:14 PM

YES.

Yes, we do!

Thanks LMNO. Got a screen cap for the image.

Ahem..

YOINK!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That SERIOUSLY does need to be an emote, though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."