News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

Show Me Everything

Started by POFP, February 14, 2017, 07:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziegejunge

Adding all of these to my eventual to-read list. Thanks Nigel!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

POFP

So, I ended up losing my temporary obsession with history and started taking a course on Computational Neuroscience on Coursera and OMFDSAODGAS WTFBBQ THIS SHIT IS AWESOME! I've learned more about the human brain from a few 20 minute videos than I did in hours of personal research. And it's INTERESTING AS FUCK.

And the thing is, I was worried that it would be WAYY over my head, but all it seems to require is a minor background in chemistry and some background in electronics. And, of course, in the later parts of the course, programming.

And just a few lessons in Computational Neuroscience shot me down the rabbit hole of parallel computation and got me interested in Physics and quantum mechanics again. These free courses are probably the best educational motivator I've ever had in my life. I wish I knew about this shit when I was losing interest in High school. I probably would've went to college.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Coursera rules! They have a couple of other decent neuroscience courses as well.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

POFP

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 15, 2017, 03:27:18 AM
Coursera rules! They have a couple of other decent neuroscience courses as well.

Oh yeah, as soon as Comp Neuro got my attention, I immediately enrolled in the other neuro courses. Unfortunately I won't have too much time to do a lot of the homework and lesson-work, but I can at least have access to the notes and videos.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Honestly, if you want the fundamentals of neuroscience, just get an older version of the textbook -- either the Bear or the Purves are good -- and read it.

POFP

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 18, 2017, 09:56:01 PM
Honestly, if you want the fundamentals of neuroscience, just get an older version of the textbook -- either the Bear or the Purves are good -- and read it.

Awesome! I will definitely do that. Thank you!  :)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: PoFP on April 18, 2017, 10:15:25 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 18, 2017, 09:56:01 PM

Awesome! I will definitely do that. Thank you!  :)

YW! Purves is more comprehensive, but Bear is a less dry read. Gazzaniga is awesome, but his glorious big textbook is pretty new and there are no older editions to be had for cheap, yet.