News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

What is Kek?

Started by TheEldritchGod, February 20, 2017, 11:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on March 02, 2017, 06:46:54 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 02, 2017, 06:36:38 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on March 02, 2017, 05:13:21 PM
Hmmm. Interesting question. Probably immune. Benign would probably if it still had some ability to spread, and becomes fixed in the culture.

Yes, I think this is accurate. In a sense, perhaps it could be said to have lost virulence as a consequence of host immunity, like an old virus that is still around but can no longer propagate by infecting new hosts; rather, it continues to occasionally cause outbreaks among earlier hosts who have become latent carriers.

This reminds me of the badgers meme. People who were on the internet around the year 2000 remember it occasionally and it still functions as a nostalgic joke, but no one else gets it.

Or Naughty Hedgehogs, or We Like The Moon.

It's like the kids' shows that only have relevance and meaning for children born in a certain ten-year span, or in a certain region. I remember Ramblin' Rod and Bumpity, and if I run into someone else who was a child in Portland in the 1970's they will remember Ramblin' Rod and Bumpity, but outside of that region or timeframe it has no relevance.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 02, 2017, 06:52:09 PM
Hmmm. Interesting question. Probably immune. Benign would probably if it still had some ability to spread, and becomes fixed in the culture.

Yes, I think this is accurate. In a sense, perhaps it could be said to have lost virulence as a consequence of host immunity, like an old virus that is still around but can no longer propagate by infecting new hosts; rather, it continues to occasionally cause outbreaks among earlier hosts who have become latent carriers.

This reminds me of the badgers meme. People who were on the internet around the year 2000 remember it occasionally and it still functions as a nostalgic joke, but no one else gets it.

It's like the kids' shows that only have relevance and meaning for children born in a certain ten-year span, or in a certain region. I remember Ramblin' Rod and Bumpity, and if I run into someone else who was a child in Portland in the 1970's they will remember Ramblin' Rod and Bumpity, but outside of that region or timeframe it has no relevance.

And then on the other end of that you get shit like Star Trek which runs for 3 seasons but becomes and remains a cornerstone of pop-culture for 50 years and ends up inspiring real life technology like automatic doors, cell phones and touchscreens.

Incidentally, I find it interesting that TEG/AKK would refer to it as "the Erisian meme." It's like saying "the Human gene." Which gene? There's 19,000 of them. It would be more appropriate to call it the Erisian memome (cause why not, we have Momes anyway)
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on March 02, 2017, 07:01:45 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 02, 2017, 06:52:09 PM

And then on the other end of that you get shit like Star Trek which runs for 3 seasons but becomes and remains a cornerstone of pop-culture for 50 years and ends up inspiring real life technology like automatic doors, cell phones and touchscreens.

Incidentally, I find it interesting that TEG/AKK would refer to it as "the Erisian meme." It's like saying "the Human gene." Which gene? There's 19,000 of them. It would be more appropriate to call it the Erisian memome (cause why not, we have Momes anyway)

Memome! OMG. I think you just maeked a new word.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Nephew Twiddleton

Q. G. Pennyworth

Memeplex is probably the right word for what we were going for anyway, although Discordia is a pretty unstable one.

Nephew Twiddleton

I'd say that it has the propensity for fast evolution, with a fair amount of Horizontal Meme TransferTM that leads to the creation of new strains. Then again, I have't really paid much attention to Discordia generally of late. It was interesting to see Disco emerge, but it's easy to get annoyed by it, so I was happy to eventually distance myself from that. Interestingly I can see some commonality with Disco and the alt-right, but I suspect a part of that is that they have a common ancestry/opportunity for HMTTM

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on March 02, 2017, 09:08:39 PM
Memeplex is probably the right word for what we were going for anyway, although Discordia is a pretty unstable one.

Metamemomics?

East Coast Hustle

On that note, has anyone here seen my bike?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on March 03, 2017, 07:27:54 PM

Yeah, I think this asshole has it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on March 03, 2017, 07:27:54 PM

Did you leave it outside?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 03, 2017, 04:47:53 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on March 02, 2017, 09:08:39 PM

Metamemomics?

Now this is a fun word. Lots of lip closing on it.

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Kek is a false-frog operation