Main Menu

Introductions, Part VI: Welcome to Our PD Party

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 22, 2017, 02:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaotic neutral observer

Hello, new guy! :wave:

Quote from: TheAudience on September 21, 2020, 01:30:07 PM
I'll admit I still have yet to finish the damn thing as I am easily distracted

Eh, it didn't age very well; there's a lot of fluff.  If you want to skip, here's some of the better bits:

A Zen Story: pg. 12.
A Sermon on Ethics and Love: pg. 46.
The Sacred Chao: pg 56-57.

Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

TheAudience

Thank You for the welcome.
CNO, Thank you for the suggestions.
I just went back to see how far I had made it, looks like I bailed just before the Turkey curse. Moving to a new desk/computer means losing all my open tabs and losing track of where I was in some readings.
But I agree, those were some of the bits that I enjoyed the most, along with the parable of the bitter tea pg. 37 (at least in the table of contents?), the little script at the bottom about hell resonates with that whole former mormon bit of me. but I also recognize the urge to take shortcuts that I'll regret later in that parable.

I'll probably mostly keep lurking, as I've been doing for the last couple months.
registered to see the fatberg.

There is no self

Hello everyone!
Glad I finally found this thread, I was about to give up and just write an introduction in the middle of nowhere.
I actually found out about Discordianism less than a month ago, by way of a forwarded message in a Telegram chat that referred back to a Discordian Society. Not a very active group, but then I decided to actually google (or rather, duckduckgo) the thing and, sweet Eris, I was overwhelmed! Not just by the classics (PD, Illuminatus!, etc.) but by the newer stuff too. It's like stumbling into a whole universe, just reading the forum archives makes me feel dizzy.
Why am I bothering? Because a lot of this stuff really resonates with me. The humour, the ideas (especially from BIP, Holy Nonsense, and the best parts of PD), the GASM thing. Partly I had already found it under different forms, but seeing it presented like this is exhilarating and inspiring. And frankly, it couldn't come at a better time.
So yeah, I'll stick around for a while, read a lot, and hopefully write as much.

Oh, and as for recipes, I really like dopiazeh:
150g ground beef
250g potatoes
1 yellow or red onion, cubed
2 garlic cloves, minced
Tomato paste
Turmeric
Somag
Tarragon

Sautée onion in olive oil. When it's golden brown, put half aside and add turmeric and tomato paste to the rest. Cook until it gets almost curry-like. Add the remaining ingredients, cover with enough water, and cook on medium heat for half an hour, then keep going until it's smooth enough for your taste.

LMNO

Cain

Dopiazeh would, I assume, go quite well with a nice shiraz?

There is no self

Definitely, but any red wine will do, really. Just don't go looking for subtle flavours, the spices will overpower them.
Which reminds me: also add black pepper and chili pepper to taste before serving. And salt if you really want to be weird.

Cain

I shall keep that in mind. I was thinking shiraz for the region, but you never know what the store does (or does not) have.

Pattherooster

Hey All,

It has been a while since I've been on here last, about a decade. I don't have any of my old info to sign into that old account, theCalmpsychopath, so I made a new one. Hope that's alright. Didn't contribute too much with the last account anyway. Pretty excited to catch up on the info that has been put out. Glad to see a lot of the same people on here. Hope everyone has been well. 
"He had that crab with him."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pattherooster on October 16, 2020, 08:02:13 PM
Hey All,

It has been a while since I've been on here last, about a decade. I don't have any of my old info to sign into that old account, theCalmpsychopath, so I made a new one. Hope that's alright. Didn't contribute too much with the last account anyway. Pretty excited to catch up on the info that has been put out. Glad to see a lot of the same people on here. Hope everyone has been well.

I remember you.

Yeah, it's fine.
Molon Lube

Cain

Q. G. Pennyworth

Exoteric

Hello everyone. I need to get better at expressing myself, so this introduction will probably be awkward to read. Sorry about that. I first found this forum about a year ago when I was learning about Discordianism. I drifted away from the religion itself a little while later, but I've kept coming back from time to time since then. A lot of what you talk about on here has really resonated with me, and this also looks like the best place I've found to get serious criticism about what I think.

I don't know how often I'll actually post on here vs reading your threads, but I do know I'll probably stick around for a long while. When I do post, other than to react to other people, it'll most likely be either to ask questions or to get your input on my ideas. I'm worried that I'm too inexperienced to participate on here, but I need to grow up someday. Hopefully I'll end up contributing in a positive way, whether that's soon or when I'm older.

I don't know any really unique or obscure recipes, so the best I can offer is a tip for making grilled cheese sandwiches. If you butter the outsides of your bread, and then coat them with parmesan it'll give them an extra layer of crunch when they're grilled. Maybe you'd like that.
I haven't been writing for very long, and I want to improve. If any parts of my posts aren't readable, please point them out.

I'm coming off of a bad bout of anxiety, and I'm going to try stepping away from the Internet for a bit and working on my habits. I might come back here if my mental health ever gets more secure, but for now I'm gone. You all take care of yourselves and the people you care about, and keep moving.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Exoteric on November 30, 2020, 07:18:01 PM
Hello everyone. I need to get better at expressing myself, so this introduction will probably be awkward to read. Sorry about that. I first found this forum about a year ago when I was learning about Discordianism. I drifted away from the religion itself a little while later, but I've kept coming back from time to time since then. A lot of what you talk about on here has really resonated with me, and this also looks like the best place I've found to get serious criticism about what I think.

I don't know how often I'll actually post on here vs reading your threads, but I do know I'll probably stick around for a long while. When I do post, other than to react to other people, it'll most likely be either to ask questions or to get your input on my ideas. I'm worried that I'm too inexperienced to participate on here, but I need to grow up someday. Hopefully I'll end up contributing in a positive way, whether that's soon or when I'm older.

I don't know any really unique or obscure recipes, so the best I can offer is a tip for making grilled cheese sandwiches. If you butter the outsides of your bread, and then coat them with parmesan it'll give them an extra layer of crunch when they're grilled. Maybe you'd like that.

It doesn't actually matter if you're the least experienced fish in the bicycle race, if you know what I mean.

What we have proven over 18 years of SCIENCE is that nobody is good at this, and if someone SEEMS to be good at it, they're selling you something (tangible or otherwise).  Usually they are selling you the idea that they are some form of Guru or otherwise Really Important Person that You Should Listen To, but on one memorable occasion we had a guy named Gavriel try to sell us our own art work.

This of course worked out well for everyone involved.
Molon Lube

Exoteric

QuoteIt doesn't actually matter if you're the least experienced fish in the bicycle race, if you know what I mean.

What we have proven over 18 years of SCIENCE is that nobody is good at this, and if someone SEEMS to be good at it, they're selling you something (tangible or otherwise).  Usually they are selling you the idea that they are some form of Guru or otherwise Really Important Person that You Should Listen To, but on one memorable occasion we had a guy named Gavriel try to sell us our own art work.

Fair enough. I wouldn't mind hearing the story about Gavriel if you're okay with sharing.
I haven't been writing for very long, and I want to improve. If any parts of my posts aren't readable, please point them out.

I'm coming off of a bad bout of anxiety, and I'm going to try stepping away from the Internet for a bit and working on my habits. I might come back here if my mental health ever gets more secure, but for now I'm gone. You all take care of yourselves and the people you care about, and keep moving.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Exoteric on December 01, 2020, 04:30:25 AM
QuoteIt doesn't actually matter if you're the least experienced fish in the bicycle race, if you know what I mean.

Fair enough. I wouldn't mind hearing the story about Gavriel if you're okay with sharing.
Gavriel joined the board, then claimed "rights" to everything down in the B&B subforum.  Then he told us to relax, we would get a discount at his online store as "co-owners", IIRC.

Then everyone laughed at him until he decided we were all shits and none of our stuff was good enough for his page.

Then he left.
Molon Lube