News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Introductions, Part VI: Welcome to Our PD Party

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 22, 2017, 02:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

TheEndingChord

Making assumptions before replying to a genuine desire to speak with like minded people is a sure way to never speak with a like minds person again. I hardly fit the bill of a maudlin koan. I'm seeking answers and ideas and people that aren't still asleep.

I didn't speak my piece because it's an original story of pain and woe. Because I'm fragile and need validation. Because I need someone to whine with me. I spoke my piece because it was asked of me. "Why am I here?" I told you. I'm sorry you don't like it, but I had kinda hoped that it would resonate with someone who wanted to talk about ANYTHING else.

Nothing seems real. I've lost teeth to objects aimed at my face. Nobody ever learns. It's like the hardest part of the body. You're more likely to hurt your hand than you are to hit the 2 square inches of valid target area on the head.

Pain is just another illusion that disappears as you embrace it. Just like fear. It's motivation to run, fight, or die like a little bitch. But the really important bit? It's a lesson. If you don't die from it. The lesson you learn, however, doesn't teach you that anything is actually really real. It just shows you that the unknown can hurt from time to time. That you should probably not lead with your head. Or at least raise your hands like you care to put up a fight.

Pain shows you how to fight. Not why. Not ever why. Because there is only ever another type of pain to embrace.

My desire to find something real isn't for me. It's for my children and my wife that I care about. Its for all the love I now hold for those in this world that cant see beyond what's put in front of them.

I'm trying to be happy so that I can show them how. It would appear that I've come to the wrong place, but I cant quietly accept that the only people I've found in the world with a modicum of sense would simply act like everyone else without. So take this as you will and delete what you want. I'm done.

LMNO

TheEndingChord

Quote from: LMNO on March 29, 2017, 03:41:59 PM
Hi, new guy!

You sound upset.

Hi there, old guy.

I seem to get that a lot and it baffles me.

I'm fairly sure that its because I talk about upsetting things like I want to deal with them rather than ignore them, but I may not have all the information.

Ziegejunge

Quote from: TheEndingChord on March 29, 2017, 03:36:05 PM
Pain is just another illusion that disappears as you embrace it.

I've never tried hugging the barstool after it was thrown.

You'll find plenty of pain here. There's happiness, too, but ya gotta take a deep breath and look for it. Which, really, isn't so different from life outside this site.

There are also some bits and pieces here that are a bit different from the world at large. In my opinion, those differences are vital, challenging, and generally life-affirming. Your mileage may vary.

In any case, welcome!

LMNO

If you'll entertain a bit of unsolicited advice, you may want to review your word choice.  "I'm done", "nothing is real", "pain and woe", "whine with me", etc.

Underneath that appears to be a request to discuss why compassion should be defended as a good thing, but it's buried in a lot of other stuff.

Also, we have a cooking section.  You should check it out.

TheEndingChord

Quote from: Ziegejunge on March 29, 2017, 04:09:56 PM
Pain is just another illusion that disappears as you embrace it.

I've never tried hugging the barstool after it was thrown.

You'll find plenty of pain here. There's happiness, too, but ya gotta take a deep breath and look for it. Which, really, isn't so different from life outside this site.

There are also some bits and pieces here that are a bit different from the world at large. In my opinion, those differences are vital, challenging, and generally life-affirming. Your mileage may vary.

In any case, welcome!

What is meant, for clarity, by the embracing of pain: Stare at it. Make it all you can see. All you can feel. All you know. And it disappears. Simply becomes a fact and has no control over your decisions farther than the desire to move around it. It becomes a part of you as you absorb the pain and the lesson it brings. There is no little mental trick that can block out pain. There isn't some ancient Chinese secret to pain relief and there isn't a pill. It's only ever this. Knowledge of how to proceed now that the pain is known.

It is kind of like hugging the barstool, now that I think about it. Thank you. I'ma teach my students that as a conceptual aid.

Thank you. Genuinely.

I'm not here to add to the pain. Only to understand it. Maybe make it a little weirder.

--

The rambling wasn't a request. It was just a statement. To show where I'm at and who I am in an abstract and metaphysical sort of way. I agree that the words carry connotations that would lead you to ask such questions, but such is the nature of words.

I agree that I struggle with this ideal in a world that rejects it by and large, but there is no doubt in my mind that compassion is one of the few worthy emotions in this respect. It simply hurts that it leads me to so many walls. The pain I'm looking to understand, if you will.

I'm sorry that I came off like a whiny twit at first. In my defense, I got some ditch smoke last night.

LMNO

This sounds like a form of Buddhism, but with a whiff of masochism.

Not a negative criticism, just getting a feel for the concept.

TheEndingChord

Quote from: LMNO on March 29, 2017, 04:44:34 PM
This sounds like a form of Buddhism, but with a whiff of masochism.

Not a negative criticism, just getting a feel for the concept.

I've always thought of it as truthism.

Been a martial artist all my life and I looked for those techniques everywhere. Never found any that worked. Maybe I didn't believe hard enough. Then, I was put in a few positions to do nothing but feel the Pain. We talked. He's not such a bad guy. He's been through some shit. Taught me some cool things.

Criticism isn't ever negative when looked at in the appropriate light. You're not gonna step on my toes by speaking the truth.

LMNO

Hold on - are you talking about physical pain here, or life being generally shitty?

TheEndingChord

Quote from: LMNO on March 29, 2017, 05:24:37 PM
Hold on - are you talking about physical pain here, or life being generally shitty?

Yes. There is no tangible difference.

EDIT: At least in the method of approach I espouse.

LMNO

Ah.  And this is connected to your idea that "nothing seems real"?

I'm still trying to get a feel for this.

TheEndingChord

Bit of an amorphous phrase, that. The observation is somewhat connected to this feeling, yes, but is informed by it rather than predicated. In example: Pain should be real. A marker. Something that ties us inextricably to the world of the material. It's how you know that you're dreaming. Pinch yourself, is what we say. Yet, pain, too, can be subjected to enough scrutiny that it ceases to affect us physically.

It's more of a generalization. Nothing seems real *enough* for tradition. The satisfaction of innate human biology to make what seems good and right or feels good and right a constant thing. Tradition. For our kids.

The 80's and 90's taught us that nothing matters and that everything should be treated with skepticism or sarcasm. It's in all the angry and disenfranchised music. It's in all the shows. Married With Children takes an archetype and makes a parody of it. Sure, it's understood as a parody, but how long before people forget what parody means because the meme of that worldview (Living a parody based upon an appreciation of irony that went a little too far and dug some roots in your greater perceptions) made it funny to have experiences that mirror the TV. You become the popular one at the water cooler if you can regail your workmates with stories of your life and progeny that 'beat all I've ever seen.'

About 10-15 years, it seems. In many cases, instantly.

Small part of a larger puzzle, yes, and some things do seem more real and worthy than others. But as I consider the origin of things more, they seem less so. Imposed. Just like the pain that you can see through if you try.

Does that help?

The Good Reverend Roger

Making assumptions before replying to a genuine desire to speak with like minded people is a sure way to never speak with a like minds person again. I hardly fit the bill of a maudlin koan.

Hey, man, I was just explaining the rules.  We have been something like 5 days without a Morrissey-related incident, and none of us want to see our streak get broken.

QuoteI'm seeking answers and ideas and people that aren't still asleep.

Well, then.  I suggest you go to the downloads section and get a copy of the BIP, read it, and then examine that statement.  I mean, it's kind of arrogant - and wildly inaccurate - to assume that you and a few others are the only conscious beings in a world full of sheep.  Yeah, that's the kind of delusion that makes you feel sorta better about yourself and the world around you, but it's also basing your worldview on a false premise...And that can lead to all manner of hilarity when extended.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.