News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Introductions, Part VI: Welcome to Our PD Party

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 22, 2017, 02:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumper Forge (Όρκος)

QuoteAir, Earth, Fire, Water, Stupidity.

This makes me picture the beach scene in <I>The Craft</I>, except with a fifth girl who calls Stupidity and then immediately walks into a plate-glass window.
"Ignorance doesn't make stuff not exist." -Bucky Katt

Cain

I thought it was up, down, strange, charm and liqorice.

Thumper Forge (Όρκος)

QuoteI thought it was up, down, strange, charm and liqorice.

WELL IT IS NOW.
"Ignorance doesn't make stuff not exist." -Bucky Katt

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 20, 2020, 01:14:17 AM
I thought it was up, down, strange, charm and liqorice.

Person, woman, man, camera, TV
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

I was going to mention this earlier, but it slipped my mind.

Quote from: altered on July 03, 2020, 02:21:03 AM
I'd rather be watching bizarre Japanese cyberpunk movies
Yo, Altered:  Psycho-pass.

In a futuristic Japan, everyone's mental state is continuously monitored by the Sibyl System, via near-ubiquitous brain-scanning technology.  A clear, light-colored psycho-pass is a sign of a happy, well-adjusted individual; if the pass becomes dark and cloudy, the person is encouraged to undergo therapy.  If the scans show signs of latent criminality, the person is preemptively imprisoned.

Even the weapons issued to law-enforcement are tied to the system.  If a target's crime coefficient is low, the trigger is locked; if it's elevated, the stun mode is enabled; if it's severe, they will be summarily executed.

The system is perfect.

Our heroine is a new Inspector at the Ministry of Welfare Public Safety Bureau, which is responsible for apprehending latent (and actual) criminals.  It's a risky job, since exposure to criminal elements and high-stress situations can often elevate an Inspector's crime coefficient to dangerous levels.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwmXh1IzV3g

If you're looking for Japanese cyberpunk, Psycho-pass is one of my favourites. I can't speak as to the second season or the movie, though.  The second season has a pretty bad reputation (different writer), so I avoided it.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

altered

I was talking about the genre of Japanese cyberpunk, not cyberpunk made in Japan.

But I understand the confusion. It's like the difference between pop music made in Europe and Europop.

Japanese cyberpunk is stuff like Tetsuo, Meatball Machine, Rubber's Lover, Tokyo Gore Police, Pinocchio 964, Electric Dragon 80000V, Death Powder. Extremely nightmarish and surreal, usually with some kind of transformation into some sort of horrible thing, lots of gore and goo, and generally just indescribably weird. It doesn't really fit "cyberpunk". It's more like... magical realism meets body horror meets cyberpunk.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

chaotic neutral observer

Yeah, my mistake.  That would be an almost entirely different genre.  Aside from one story arc probably inspired by Ed Gein, Psycho-pass doesn't go much into body-horror.  Parasyte or Gantz might qualify, but I didn't care for either of them.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Cain

Here's the thing, you said "the genre of Japanese cyberpunk".

Is it in the same family? Yes. No one's arguing that.

As someone who is a scientist who studies cyberpunk, I am telling you, specifically, in science, no one calls cyberpunk made in Japan "Japanese cyberpunk". If you want to be "specific" like you said, then you shouldn't either. They're not the same thing.

If you're saying "Japanese cyberpunk family" you're referring to the taxonomic grouping of genres, which includes things from I.K.U. to Crazy Thunder Road to Burst City.

So your reasoning for calling a cyberpunk in Japan Japanese cyberpunk is because random people "call all futuristic looking films that?" Let's get Bladerunner and Videodrome in there, then, too.

Also, calling someone a human or an ape? It's not one or the other, that's not how taxonomy works. They're both. A Japanese cyberpunk film is a Japanese cyberpunk film and a member of the cyberpunk in Japan family. But that's not what you said. You said a Japanese cyberpunk film is a cyberpunk film made in Japan, which is not true unless you're okay with calling all members of the crow family crows, which means you'd call blue jays, ravens, and other birds crows, too. Which you said you don't.

It's okay to just admit you're wrong, you know?

altered

To your credit, I didn't realize that was copypasta until I realized it was incorrect.  :lulz:
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

:lulz: Considering it's past 4am here, I consider that pretty good going

altered

Also it has me SERIOUSLY thinking if Videodrome is better described as a Western take on Japanese cyberpunk or something altogether different. Max's journey isn't so different from the Salaryman's in Tetsuo, and the technosexual elements are a big part of Japanese cyberpunk. The entire point of both the Japanese cyberpunk thing and Videodrome is a sort of societal technophobia. Combine the transformation, the violence and surreality ... it's pretty solidly in the canon.

The only problem with that is it predates the ur-example of Japanese cyberpunk: The Phantom of Regular Size, which eventually became Tetsuo.

Damn you for bringing taxonomy to my extremely niche interests.

TheAudience

Who am I?
I am an uncultured Kansas City suburbanite. Born into the Mormon faith, currently gnawing ineffectively at the walls of my "formerly Mormon" black iron prison.

How did I find myself here?
I came here by way of the podcast titled "Embrace the Void" where the host Aaron Rabinowitz had dropped several references to the principia discordia. After Aaron devoted an entire episode to the idea of discordianism and the principia discordia, I finally became intrigued enough to search for the work, which lead me to your domain. I'll admit I still have yet to finish the damn thing as I am easily distracted and decided to instead complete a first pass of "Or Kill Me", several BIP works (BIP, BIP 2013 Musings of a Faceless Man), and "The Compleat Billy Chronicles" thread, (not in that order).

Why am I bothering?
Online forums were my digital drug of choice growing up and I have a problem. Oh, and I registered in hopes of seeing the fatberg, sadly the picture is no longer there.

Recipes?
Mostly I make breakfast foods and deserts, though I have dabbled in yogurt culture and bread making. I'll lend my meager knowledge if asked.
registered to see the fatberg.

Cramulus

hey there, welcome aboard

"formerly Mormon" is an exciting prison to escape from, I wish you much luck in building a new cell  :p

LMNO