News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

The company you keep

Started by Junkenstein, February 22, 2017, 08:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

So I've been spending some spare time with Dave lately. Dave loves to tell really edgy jokes about rape and is generally a sexist piece of shit. But he's OK if you're just talking about music or the weather.

Steve sometimes joins us. Steve loves music, particularly Skrewdiver and Burzum. He's got some strange ideas about racial purity but the banter between him, Dave and Jamal is top notch.

Jamal is hilarious, by the way. Really liberal and progressive. He does think that Malcom X was a filthy moderate and that the Black Panthers should have put much more effort into "killing Whitey" but apart from that he's pretty cool.

Here's the thing folks, the people you choose to associate with, the people you CHOOSE to spend your free time with say a lot about YOU. If you spend all your spare time with idiots, don't be surprised when other people assume you're a fucking idiot as well. The company you keep says a lot about you to an outside observer. These observers can be your other friends, family and occasionally authority figures like, for instance, the police. If you're not happy about that, then you need to spend less time with people who you know have problematic viewpoints.

Don't try that "I'm trying to change the group from within" shite either. Because you can't point at an instance where this has ever worked, let alone a time when you successfully did it. Don't pull the "I'm going to expose this horrible group from within" crap either. You're not a professional agent provocateur or credible investigative journalist so what you will be doing instead is enabling a shitty group of people to carry on being shitty in their own particular way. Oh, wait, they're just "friends you've had for a really long time"? Well, fuck you and fuck your friends. Being acquainted with dickheads for a long time doesn't give you some kind of free pass. In fact, it makes me think you're just a damn clown for associating with these people for that long.

You have a very finite amount of time in the world, call it 90 years at best. You are very unlikely to even get that long. Do you really want to spend more than a second than is necessary with shitty people?

If you do, guess what? You're a shitty person.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Damn, this is so spot-on it hurts!

:mittens:

Should go into the new testament, IMO. If you want it to.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Sure, if its wanted. My usual (lack) of permissions apply.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

IPunchNazis

Don't hang out with people who don't agree with you, man. You're just asking for trouble

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: IPunchNazis on February 23, 2017, 01:08:34 AM
Don't hang out with people who don't agree with you, man. You're just asking for trouble

Annnnnnd you just jumped the shark.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

Salty

It takes a special kind of mind to condense the OP into one, trite line.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 23, 2017, 01:09:47 AM

Annnnnnd you just jumped the shark.

Hey that rhymes with narc... coincidence?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Junkenstein

Quote from: Salty on February 23, 2017, 01:30:53 AM

It's impressive, particularly as that wasn't even what I was saying.

Salty

Quote from: Junkenstein on February 23, 2017, 01:35:42 AM
Quote from: Salty on February 23, 2017, 01:30:53 AM

It's impressive, particularly as that wasn't even what I was saying.

Right, there's also the whole getting it completely wrong.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Junkenstein

I get the feeling this kind of mind should be in a jar, to be studied by future generations. Or just for easy access to the brain slicer thing that Nigel fucks around with.

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Junkenstein

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on February 23, 2017, 01:42:44 AM
I get the feeling this kind of mind should be in a jar, to be studied by future generations. Or just for easy access to the brain slicer thing that Nigel fucks around with.

Ugh, I'd have to clean it forever before processing anything else on it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

trix

The OP rings so very true to me.  That has been one of the toughest lessons I've had to learn in my life.

I'm only a felon because of a combination of alcohol and hanging on to certain shitty friends I grew up with.

Learning to carefully select my friends, rather than just being friends with whoever life collided me with, has improved my life 1000%

Thank you for the OP.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.