News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

ABSOLUTE CHAOS

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 11, 2017, 02:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on April 28, 2017, 06:55:02 AM
You need a computer guy, right?

I have a computer guy.  He's adorable.  He is a very confused conservative.  He voted for Trump, and Trump won, but then it turns out the billionaire isn't actually on his side, and is happily selling him and everyone he knows to Wall Street.  He honestly can't get his head around it, and now he's questioning whether or not conservativism is actually functional.  Imagine a libertarian who bounces off of reality, and then questions his beliefs instead of reality.  Like I said, adorable.

Also, like many IT guys, he is more or less self-educated in his field.  He's pretty fucking good, but he has gaps in his knowledge.  Delta programming controls had him terrified, then I pointed out that it's basic, from like 1990, with a few syntax quirks.  BAM.  Shit's getting done.

However, we are in the market for my old job slot, which is a combination facilities coordinator/analyst.  80% keeping contractors on their jobs, 20% wading through data.  There doesn't seem to be any actual work involved.

If you get the job, we can sit around figuring out how shit falls apart, and get paid for it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 29, 2017, 03:33:13 AM

I have a computer guy.  He's adorable.  He is a very confused conservative.  He voted for Trump, and Trump won, but then it turns out the billionaire isn't actually on his side, and is happily selling him and everyone he knows to Wall Street.  He honestly can't get his head around it, and now he's questioning whether or not conservativism is actually functional.  Imagine a libertarian who bounces off of reality, and then questions his beliefs instead of reality.  Like I said, adorable.

Also, like many IT guys, he is more or less self-educated in his field.  He's pretty fucking good, but he has gaps in his knowledge.  Delta programming controls had him terrified, then I pointed out that it's basic, from like 1990, with a few syntax quirks.  BAM.  Shit's getting done.

However, we are in the market for my old job slot, which is a combination facilities coordinator/analyst.  80% keeping contractors on their jobs, 20% wading through data.  There doesn't seem to be any actual work involved.

If you get the job, we can sit around figuring out how shit falls apart, and get paid for it.

Well, that's a job I could probably do, but not a screening process or an interview I could pass, unfortunately.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on April 29, 2017, 03:41:07 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 29, 2017, 03:33:13 AM

Well, that's a job I could probably do, but not a screening process or an interview I could pass, unfortunately.

Why not?  I did.   :lulz:

Also, the only bad thing about getting the plant is that I no longer have the police under my purview.   :sad:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Wizard Joseph

I'm just curious to see how this goes after a few years and almost horrormirthy in that I'm glad you got lucrative employment and status, but the horror bit is in that you will now have notable time, cash, and industrial/scientific influence. Whenever you get to exoskeletal power armor levels of fuckoff money I'm just hoping you become the basis for several new civil statutes.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Memo to crew #1:

If a high-speed automatic rolling door keeps re-opening halfway through closing because the safety interlocks are malfunctioning, it is not okay to disable the safety interlocks.  While we all agree that people are generally a bad thing, slicing them in half would impact the profit margin.

The Good Reverend Roger

Memo to crew #2:  A chiller missing 2100 pounds of freon might need some investigating.  Just saying.

Bruno

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 02, 2017, 12:59:48 AM
Memo to crew #2:  A chiller missing 2100 pounds of freon might need some investigating.  Just saying.

Too busy to bother? Places to go, things to do, people to bisect?

That kind of thing?
Formerly something else...

The Wizard Joseph

And also some freon.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Junkenstein

Jesus wept. How was this not noticed?

And how big is that thing?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 03, 2017, 01:23:29 PM

Jesus wept. How was this not noticed?

And how big is that thing?

We have 4 chillers that are roughly the size of an 18 wheeler trailer.

And it was noticed finally because it started sounding like it had gravel bouncing around in it, there was so much air being drawn in.

The Good Reverend Roger

Memo #3:  If it looks like instrumentation, it's instrumentation.  If it looks like something else, it's 90% likely to still be instrumentation.

The Good Reverend Roger

Next bad science project Dave and I have been handed is data infrastructure collapse.  At what point does miniaturization of electronics - combined with traffic - overload the error-correcting firmware that prevents random bit-flipping (by background radiation, etc)?

We are of course not expected to answer this myself.  We're supposed to nominate a team of experts that will answer it.

So I told them to get one electronic engineer and a couple of epidemiologists.  This was questioned, but it's a propagation problem, and epidemiologists are the correct type of mathematician for this, I think.

Dave is panicking because he's an environmental engineer and this isn't about water.  But I'm starting to believe that problem solving isn't based on any one discipline, but instead on finding the right discipline for the job and then, unreasonably, letting them do their work.  What he isn't seeing is that this isn't about he and I answering problems, but instead getting the answers and then distributing them.

Plus maybe we help some grad students with their advanced degrees and also with the whole starving to death thing.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Okay, we have the water system under control so long as it doesn't rain.  In Arizona.  Out of season."

Ha.  Hahaha.  AHAHAHAHAHA.

*sky immediately turns black and pisses hate down for 3 hours, flooding out our system*

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2017, 01:12:22 AM
"Okay, we have the water system under control so long as it doesn't rain.  In Arizona.  Out of season."

Ha.  Hahaha.  AHAHAHAHAHA.

*sky immediately turns black and pisses hate down for 3 hours, flooding out our system*

And every now and then clearly the cosmos is pissing in your Cheerios specifically.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl