News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

The #AltWoke Manifesto

Started by Cramulus, April 13, 2017, 06:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

:lulz: I find an "alt-woke" FB group and look at the first fucking post:

accompanying text:

QuoteDid you ever hear the tragedy of Nick Land the Wise? I thought not. It's not a story that academic philosophers would tell you. It's a Continental legend. Nick Land was a Deleuzian of Warwick, so powerful and so wise he could use creative destruction to influence the intensive thresholds of terrestrial history to create...the Outside. He had such a knowledge of the dark side of Capital that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The deterritorializing flows of Capital are a pathway to many abilities some consider to be of a highly schizophrenic character. He became so deterritorialized...the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice, Ray Brassier, everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. Ironic. He could save others from death, but not himself.

Cain

Yes, I remember that thread.  Fortunately, I had the choice to not get involved, which I wisely exercised.

With regards to the wider point...I'm going to go all Machiavelli here and say that in politics, winning is the only outcome that matters.  But I will also say, "winning" is a quite broad category of things, and not easily demarcated by achieving short term goals.

Lets work with Milo, for example.  It was a short-term win, in the sense that he lost his platform and is discredited, which stops him from spreading racist, sexist and transmisogynist alt-right nonsense.  But will the conditions that brought about that victory have longer term consequences, which will make it a larger strategic failure?  In this case it seems unlikely, but there are plenty of cases where shutting down someone can lead to a perception of persecution and suppression which perversely supports their cause.

And if people rest on their laurels of having defeated tEh vIlLaInOuS mIlO instead of realising that he was merely a symptom of a much broader range of social and political processes, which are proceeding in his absence at the same pace....well, that's also clearly suboptimal.

Tactics and strategy matter, not only for outcome but also for managing the perception of the outcome, its legitimacy and sustaining that outcome going forwards.  As far as I'm concerned, the left is pants on head retarded when it comes to strategy and tactics.  So is the far-right and liberal centre, but their economic resources and, in the case of the liberal-right, institutional dominance mean they can afford to fail far more often while searching for successful strategies and tactics.

Cain

Quote from: Cramulus on April 13, 2017, 08:52:49 PM
:lulz: I find an "alt-woke" FB group and look at the first fucking post:

accompanying text:

QuoteDid you ever hear the tragedy of Nick Land the Wise? I thought not. It's not a story that academic philosophers would tell you. It's a Continental legend. Nick Land was a Deleuzian of Warwick, so powerful and so wise he could use creative destruction to influence the intensive thresholds of terrestrial history to create...the Outside. He had such a knowledge of the dark side of Capital that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The deterritorializing flows of Capital are a pathway to many abilities some consider to be of a highly schizophrenic character. He became so deterritorialized...the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice, Ray Brassier, everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. Ironic. He could save others from death, but not himself.

:lulz: :horrormirth:

Cramulus

Quote from: Cramulus on April 13, 2017, 08:49:33 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-83K8nrUzsE4gGAA6UMP1HzNDSTSuy4TXOnbKetXvM0/edit

Just scanning this doc for Nick Land...

They seem like they agree with parts of him and hate parts of him.

QuoteWe agree with Nick Land's diagnosis of late capitalism. It is an entropic AI, a systemic feedback loop wholly incompatible with the welfare of human beings.

Our 'amorality' isn't a bankruptcy of ethics so much as an emotional discipline in response to global existential threats. A learned stoicism and pragmatism is crucial to #AltWoke. We acknowledge the reality of planetary scale ecological and sociopolitical catastrophe. We accept this reality as well, insofar that it's a causal plausibility given the geopolitical circumstances. If we do nothing, Apocalypse will be the next epoch after the Anthropocene.

The nihilism exhibited by Nick Land and his NRx acolytes looks anemic from where we're standing. NRx/Right Accelerationism is nihilism for cowards. Passively observing the phenomenon of capitalism's gross consumption of the Earth's resources, watching the development of technology that exacerbates this phenomenon, and synthesising this with a eugenic, Eurocentric fundamentalism shouldn't even count as an ideology.

they mention Nick Land six times in the doc, usually both a nod that there's he got some stuff right and also to dismiss and deride his fanboys.

Dude on FB says: "Acceleration is the is. Left-Acceleration is the ought."

I will state for the record I have read zero Nick Land, and I can only make it like 40 words deep into any neoreaction writing before my eyeball starts to twitch and all of the sudden I'm doing something else

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: Cain on April 13, 2017, 08:58:11 PM
But will the conditions that brought about that victory have longer term consequences, which will make it a larger strategic failure?  In this case it seems unlikely, but there are plenty of cases where shutting down someone can lead to a perception of persecution and suppression which perversely supports their cause.

And if people rest on their laurels of having defeated tEh vIlLaInOuS mIlO instead of realising that he was merely a symptom of a much broader range of social and political processes, which are proceeding in his absence at the same pace....well, that's also clearly suboptimal.

Tactics and strategy matter, not only for outcome but also for managing the perception of the outcome, its legitimacy and sustaining that outcome going forwards.  As far as I'm concerned, the left is pants on head retarded when it comes to strategy and tactics.  So is the far-right and liberal centre, but their economic resources and, in the case of the liberal-right, institutional dominance mean they can afford to fail far more often while searching for successful strategies and tactics.

This is great in the context of Deleuze that was mentioned in the FB post. In Nomadology: The War Machine, Deleuze and Guattari discuss the difference in strategy between the state and the war machine. Chess and Go respectively. In this sense, the alt-right and dark enlightenment people are claiming to be the Nomad but frequently reference Trump, their vehicle, as a Chessmaster.

00.dusk

Quote from: Cramulus on April 13, 2017, 09:03:11 PMI will state for the record I have read zero Nick Land, and I can only make it like 40 words deep into any neoreaction writing before my eyeball starts to twitch and all of the sudden I'm doing something else

It's a protective reaction, like fever, bitter taste, or that crawling feeling you get in the aftermath of a frothing, roiling Orange Eating Contest dump violently evacuating your sinuses. It's warning you that down that road leads your own demise.

I've read his trash and it's /for your own good/. There's nothing worth saving in there, and these folks would be better off if they just took a chainsaw to the bits that have his name smeared on them in moldy dog feces.

That said, if you're going to force yourself to steal from Nick Land, I don't think it's possible to do a better job than they did here (short of writing a sequel to the only good thing he ever wrote, Phyl-Undhu).

Q. G. Pennyworth

This looks like a promising tool for rehabilitating /pol spags who haven't gone full nazi yet, or are willing to consider stepping back from full nazi.

The youth-right opposition to *false* political correctness (saying the right thing because it's what you're supposed to, not because you believe it) is a useful foothold that this seems to be planting itself in. They don't wanna be tumblrinas, but they also don't think they hate black people/immigrants/queer folk/whatever. A movement that allows them to say "I hate the falseness of the narrative around inclusivity, not inclusivity itself" and keeps pulling them away from the direction of full nazi could be the kind of stepping stone we need.

00.dusk

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on April 13, 2017, 09:12:06 PM
This looks like a promising tool for rehabilitating /pol spags who haven't gone full nazi yet, or are willing to consider stepping back from full nazi.

The youth-right opposition to *false* political correctness (saying the right thing because it's what you're supposed to, not because you believe it) is a useful foothold that this seems to be planting itself in. They don't wanna be tumblrinas, but they also don't think they hate black people/immigrants/queer folk/whatever. A movement that allows them to say "I hate the falseness of the narrative around inclusivity, not inclusivity itself" and keeps pulling them away from the direction of full nazi could be the kind of stepping stone we need.

This is a good point.

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on April 13, 2017, 09:12:06 PM
"I hate the falseness of the narrative around inclusivity, not inclusivity itself" and keeps pulling them away from the direction of full nazi could be the kind of stepping stone we need.

This would be the sad part. These people's characterization of Trump's strategy as Chessmaster betrays a misunderstanding of Deleuze's Nomad, in that Trump can be said to use the strategy of Go: territorializing and deterritorializing, also referenced in the FB post. The sad part is that Trump's deterritorializing of the striated space, namely egalitarianism and equal rights for minorities of all kinds destroys the underlying structures and bases of support for said people to advance their causes. People know this and see it reasonably as pandering to the neoreactionary, when in it appears instead to be the unfortunate known yet "broken eggs for the omelet" collateral costs of Trump's seizing upon the natural power of the US media dialectical polarization mechanism.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on April 13, 2017, 08:07:25 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 13, 2017, 07:58:56 PM
Quote from: Cain on April 13, 2017, 07:50:20 PM
Put down the diluted Nick Land and back away from the keyboard.

What is this?? :?

To quote my permament facebook relationship status, "it's complicated".

Essentially, Nick Land is a British philosopher who went on a massive amphetamines binge and recoiled from the vast and implacable nature of the Universe by becoming the prophet of far-right, accelerationist technofascism.  He essentially invented the "Dark Enlightenment", which of course influenced the alt-right.  For some bizarre reason, certain left-accelerationists seem to be trying to rehabilitate his ideas.

But its really best to read around him yourself.  I can't do justice to his crazy here.

I may just do that. I kinda got the impression in this manifesto here that the author was a bit... altered. That's just the subjective "vibe" from the first reading though.

I must admit that I lack the jargon and author knowledge base to understand the OP completely. Laconism is a lost art.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

So it seems that there's a critter named Wojack and this is something equivalent to Pepe. Gonba be rather difficult making that Eris compatible considering he's dead and pretty much otherwise entirely not how Eris do.

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=Wojak&sm=3

Also attached pics pretty much sum up my feels on this whole thing after a read of the available materials. The lexicon was pretty funny. Reminds me of RP amd LARP and other things that weren't so political not all that long ago.

That said I too think Q.G. may be on to something with its use as a sort of counter-cult.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on April 13, 2017, 08:29:52 PM

Why did Milo's book get pulled? Was it because people beat him in a theater of ideas? Was it because crowds stopped showing up for him? Was it because intersectional politics actually beats regressive shitlord politics? Not in the slightest. We just smeared him.

And it worked.

Should we feel bad about that?

No.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: Captain Pike on April 14, 2017, 02:46:44 AM

Why did Milo's book get pulled? Was it because people beat him in a theater of ideas? Was it because crowds stopped showing up for him? Was it because intersectional politics actually beats regressive shitlord politics? Not in the slightest. We just smeared him.

And it worked.

No.

Well, you can't count on everyone from that side to defend pedophilia as their relevance is flagging.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on April 14, 2017, 02:52:38 AM
Quote from: Captain Pike on April 14, 2017, 02:46:44 AM

And it worked.

No.

Well, you can't count on everyone from that side to defend pedophilia as their relevance is flagging.

Doesn't mean I have to feel bad about it.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.