News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

Autocatalysis, Hammers, and How We're Defending Abortion Wrong

Started by POFP, April 17, 2017, 07:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm sorry, man, but this really is hilarious. :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: You just don't understand why yet.

I feel kind of like a jerk because you are clearly making an effort to educate yourself and that is highly admirable.

This is still funny tho.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Here are a few starting points that can help you catch up on the debate, and why bodily integrity and not fetus viability is the core argument in favor of legal medical abortion:

http://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1042&context=yjlf
http://www.healthrights.am/practitioner-guide/more/579/
https://www.mmfllaw.com/ones-right-to-bodily-integrity.shtml

Now, consider the argument you are making, which is that the right to bodily integrity alone is insufficient to justify abortion. In order for that argument to be valid, you must assume that pregnancy is a special case in which a woman's bodily integrity is suspended in favor of another organism, which we will assume for the sake of the discussion is a person. Therefore, the woman's right to bodily integrity is suspended in order to confer the right to use her body to another person, placing her in a category of less-than-human, as bodily integrity is legally considered a human right.

Yes. Please read that again, and understand that the argument you are making, at its core, is that the human rights argument is insufficient because women just aren't quite people enough.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

POFP

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 18, 2017, 11:07:47 PM
I'm sorry, man, but this really is hilarious. :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: You just don't understand why yet.

I feel kind of like a jerk because you are clearly making an effort to educate yourself and that is highly admirable.

This is still funny tho.

I'm 21, and understand that I have often said, and will often say things that are outrageously stupid for quite awhile longer than Imight expect. I accept that.

But don't be surprised that I find this annoying.

On second thought, I've intentionally walked into threads and turned into an exploding shitfountain before. I'll give you this one.

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 18, 2017, 11:29:43 PM
Here are a few starting points that can help you catch up on the debate, and why bodily integrity and not fetus viability is the core argument in favor of legal medical abortion:

http://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1042&context=yjlf

Now, consider the argument you are making, which is that the right to bodily integrity alone is insufficient to justify abortion. In order for that argument to be valid, you must assume that pregnancy is a special case in which a woman's bodily integrity is suspended in favor of another organism, which we will assume for the sake of the discussion is a person. Therefore, the woman's right to bodily integrity is suspended in order to confer the right to use her body to another person, placing her in a category of less-than-human, as bodily integrity is legally considered a human right.

Yes. Please read that again, and understand that the argument you are making, at its core, is that the human rights argument is insufficient because women just aren't quite people enough.

Before I jump into this,  I wanna have something clarified:

By bodily integrity, do you mean the ability for the body to live? Or do any changes/damage to the body whatsoever count as "affecting bodily integrity?" I looked up the definition, but my young male brain shit the bed and resorted to pterodactyl sex fantasies and pepe memes.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

MithridatesXXIII

LMNO

Following the links would be a good start.

Also paying attention to what women say about abortion is also a good idea.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 18, 2017, 01:35:38 PM
Quote from: LMNO on April 18, 2017, 12:56:56 PM
Quote from: Captain Pike on April 18, 2017, 02:12:37 AM
Quote from: rong on April 18, 2017, 02:10:09 AM

2) fathers should be allowed to request an abortion - if the mother chooses to have the child anyway, the father should not have to pay child support

Your trilby is crooked.

Thank you for referencing the correct style of hat.

Are you both sure? It sounds more like this kind of headwear:

Those are in fact my people, you know.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

2) fathers should be allowed to request an abortion - if the mother chooses to have the child anyway, the father should not have to pay child support

Your trilby is crooked.

It's an important distinction.  I don't want to tar Tom Waits with this brush.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

POFP

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 18, 2017, 11:29:43 PM

I have some information to digest.

Might take me a day or so to respond. Thank you for the response.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

rong

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on April 19, 2017, 12:35:17 AM
Sovereignty over your person

the is the best pro-choice argument i've ever heard. 

kind of like the "stand your ground" laws
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

MithridatesXXIII

It's basically the cornerstone of freedom, followed by dominion over what you own and produce, followed by the authority of the state to tax all of the above. Conservatives tout this all the time, just as it pertains to every other conceivable phenomena.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: rong on April 19, 2017, 03:46:01 AM

Having the right to your own body is just like shooting Trayvon Martin.

You are a fucking genius.  Talking Ben Carson level brains, here.

MithridatesXXIII

There's that, and that it also goes beyond self-defense. The important question is, if a human being can be considered a sovereignty unto themselves, What are the powers of the sovereign?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on April 19, 2017, 04:11:07 AM
There's that, and that it also goes beyond self-defense. The important question is, if a human being can be considered a sovereignty unto themselves, What are the powers of the sovereign?

Doing as they please with their own bodies.

rong

Quote from: Captain Pike on April 19, 2017, 03:57:18 AM
Quote from: rong on April 19, 2017, 03:46:01 AM

Having the right to your own body is just like shooting Trayvon Martin.

You are a fucking genius.  Talking Ben Carson level brains, here.

:thanks:
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

LMNO

Quote from: Captain Pike on April 19, 2017, 01:23:12 AM

Your trilby is crooked.

It's an important distinction.  I don't want to tar Tom Waits with this brush.

They fact that I know the difference, and am sometimes upset when an error is made, worries me that I may be part of the former group, rather than the latter.

m'lady.