News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

Noncommercial Branding

Started by Cramulus, September 01, 2010, 04:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: LuciferX on March 20, 2017, 12:00:47 AM
Yeah, and if I reserve copyright, can anyone explain to me how I can add additional fair-use CC attribution?  I mean, given that I may, how does the legislation intercede when owner discovers, for example, non-attributed use of IP for commercial purposes, or something else that would however violate "fair-use"?  Just thinking about it makes me want to dismiss all copyright, unless the gods of legalese have somehow figured all this out? (actually asking)

Missed this before.

CC isn't public domain, you are voluntarily releasing some of your rights as the copyright holder but not all. So if someone is using your CC work in a way that is not expressly permitted by the CC license, then regular copyright law is still in play. In your example, you find someone using your writing for commercial purposes without attribution and the first step would be angry letters from lawyers or filling out online complaints with the website hosting the material, and you'd escalate from there if the person infringing didn't comply.

If it got to the courts, the fact that you released it CC-Non Commercial would be unlikely to work against you in a case where unattributed commercial use took place. The other party would have to prove that their work was transformative, that is they changed it so much that it's a unique work now and your copyright no longer applies. That's a high burden of proof, and unless you have Prince money and fame it's generally a losing strategy. If it's a news organization, different rules apply.

Bathtub Jim

Quote from: Don Coyote on September 01, 2010, 04:39:36 PM
Why not....just buy clothes with no obvious brand label, or remove labels?

This is literally how I tackle this problem. Sometimes band shirts make the cut, but wearing logoless shirts, shoes, etc, is the only way I see how to combat this branded nonsense that consumes our lives.
In other ways, I am still a slave to branding, such as minor things with soda.
Branding isn't completely awful though when branding actually says something, such as with cars, where Tesla, Ford, and Honda all say very different things about the driver but also serve a very different function than each other.

In taking a brief survey of the room I'm in and glancing at the people, most people are wearing logoless clothing.
In many ways, clothing is purely commercial and consumerist. No one wants for clothing in America, Americans want for clothing with status or for clothing that fits with certain events (suit for an interview at the firm). To advocate for a non-branded clothing, a non-commercial clothing line is to engage in the exact same superfluous commercial activity that can be so concerning when taking a critical eye to the world around us.
If someone tried to sell me an identity centered around rejecting identities, that might not be the hook for me that it once was.
Opossums have opposable thumbs