Main Menu

Banning Nazis from PD

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, May 14, 2017, 01:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 17, 2017, 04:19:10 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on May 15, 2017, 04:03:01 PM
Suggestion:
Revise the signup rules page thing to include something like "If you're a nazi fuckwit, don't bother. It's boring and won't end well".

Saves any kind of discussion when the next brother nihil wanders in.

I once suggested making being a racist fuck a bannable offense, as in adding it to the rules, but he doesn't want to change the rules, he wants to spend year after year repeatedly whining about it not being a bannable offense and implying that it's somehow everyone else's fault, as if it isn't basically just him and Cain in charge at this point.

Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of A) osmosis not being a thing, and B) your incredible fucking hypocrisy on this very issue, from the time in question.

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 17, 2017, 05:45:48 PM
I assume you're referring to Roger?

I wouldn't say he's constantly whining, as this shit tends to only occur to a severe degree every 3-6 months or so. And to be fair he's stated his stance that's not changed every time and it's usually one I agree with. I see no reason to give the kinds of people we're talking about a platform, but most (rp-esque) don't even last a week anyway. I'm a judgemental little fucker so would probably be even harsher than what may be fair. I'm also sick of the terrible luck I get when I say hello to new meat, so that factors in to this too.

Or, Roger, as this is about you and, you know, kind of shitty to talk around you, if you can, just change the thing? I'd support this being banable. Faust does not seem averse. I forget if there's a fifth (maybe lmno?) Or whoever has kicked in the most cash to server shit. I for one am not averse to seeing less of these fuckers.

I am down with this.  There are enough alt-right tards stinking up the rest of my planet.

Off to PM with the remaining other mods.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 17, 2017, 07:25:25 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on May 17, 2017, 05:45:48 PM
I assume you're referring to Roger?

I wouldn't say he's constantly whining, as this shit tends to only occur to a severe degree every 3-6 months or so. And to be fair he's stated his stance that's not changed every time and it's usually one I agree with. I see no reason to give the kinds of people we're talking about a platform, but most (rp-esque) don't even last a week anyway. I'm a judgemental little fucker so would probably be even harsher than what may be fair. I'm also sick of the terrible luck I get when I say hello to new meat, so that factors in to this too.

Or, Roger, as this is about you and, you know, kind of shitty to talk around you, if you can, just change the thing? I'd support this being banable. Faust does not seem averse. I forget if there's a fifth (maybe lmno?) Or whoever has kicked in the most cash to server shit. I for one am not averse to seeing less of these fuckers.

I didn't say constantly, I fucking said repeatedly. As in every 3-6 months for years on fucking end. And I suggested making being a racist turd, or at least posting racist turd sentiment, bannable years ago. I suggested it because integrity is important to me, so banning people for actual rules they knew about in advance and violated anyway would be a way of maintaining integrity while ALSO getting to ban racist turds. I also disagreed with it in principle, as IMO it was, at the time, counter to the general ethic of the forum to have a list of rules that basically came down to "agree with us or we ban you". I disagree with the general tactic of finding excuses to ban people we don't like. I think that every time there's a troll, instead of trolling them back until they have a wobbler and ragequit, someone "confirms" that they're from the same city, state, rainshadow, or geographical region as Poptard and they're banned. But times have changed, the board is not what it was, and if the modmins want to make being a neonazi a bannable offense, they fucking should have that conversation in PM and do it already, or don't. Without the recurring cycle of passive-aggressive whining.

I don't talk to Roger, and I rarely talk about him because he's rarely relevant to me. But this topic affects the whole board, so there's my two cents.

I like it better when you don't talk to me or about me.  I can make that more clear if you'd like. 

Or we can both just go back to ignoring each other's existence, which I think we both prefer, and I think is better for everyone around.

You decide.

Supreme Dingus

If we want to create a world where race doesn't matter and no one has to suffer more just because the color of their skin, that has to include White people.

For everyone to be treated equally, everyone has to be treated equally.

White people should be free to advocate their interests like everyone else.

Only punching White people for doing what every other race does unfairly causes them to suffer more just because the color of their skin.

You are NOT fighting for a world where race doesn't matter. If race didn't matter to you, you wouldn't hold White people to a completely different standard. You are fighting for a world where White people are discriminated against.

Associating every pro-White sentiment with hate and violence, to instantly censor it, is what leads to the more extreme manifestations.

Is stopping the evil Nazis from living in a separate community something you would die for? You'd die before actually treating everyone equally and letting White people form communities based on their shared identities too? You'd die just to make sure White people suffer more just because the color of their skin?

Faust

You've already shown you dont want a fair world where everyone is treated equally because you hold the prejudiced and false view that the average Muslim is extremist. It undermines your argument.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Supreme Dingus on May 18, 2017, 02:36:20 PM
If we want to create a world where race doesn't matter and no one has to suffer more just because the color of their skin, that has to include White people.

Only punching White people for doing what every other race does unfairly causes them to suffer more just because the color of their skin.

You are NOT fighting for a world where race doesn't matter. If race didn't matter to you, you wouldn't hold White people to a completely different standard. You are fighting for a world where White people are discriminated against.

Associating every pro-White sentiment with hate and violence, to instantly censor it, is what leads to the more extreme manifestations.

Is stopping the evil Nazis from living in a separate community something you would die for? You'd die before actually treating everyone equally and letting White people form communities based on their shared identities too? You'd die just to make sure White people suffer more just because the color of their skin?

It's adorable when you pretend to use logic.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cramulus

What metric would you propose to measure equality?

LMNO

Interesting example from NPR yesterday.  It talked about government housing policies of segregation and redlining, going back at least 80 years, and the knock-on effects of such policies -- Basically, because of the policies of the past, minorities in the present are structurally disadvantaged on an economic an geographic way, from birth.

So with that in mind, what does "equality" mean?  To start at a "point zero" and treat all people 'the same' means you're starting out with a structural inequality that's already been built in.  Changing the rules now and ignoring the past doesn't mitigate or level the playing field.

Salty

Quote from: Supreme Dingus on May 18, 2017, 02:36:20 PM

Before you get too far into handing equality out like candy, maybe take a sociology class? Just a thought.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Requesting a split of the "do we ban Nazis from PD" section.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on May 18, 2017, 04:26:30 PM
Requesting a split of the "do we ban Nazis from PD" section.

Done.

Salty

If spag's consideration are to be considered:

I think we should ban white-nationalism from the boards, forever.

Those threads are more contemptible than drug threads. There is nothing to gain from having those people here.

In the past I would have been against this because I feel Discordia is stronger than that bullshit. However, because posting here isn't what it once was, and because it is a much more fractured place than it once was, we are not able to make these fuckers leave in shame the way we would have.

That's ok, things change. But I don't think we should have to put up with it.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

tyrannosaurus vex

I vote in favor of banning white nationalists on sight, without warning on the first infraction, so long as appropriate signage is displayed somewhere. As Salty says, there's nothing to gain from having them here. They will not convince anyone here, and we will not convince them. The world is not what it was 10 years ago, and we are deep into the Zombie Apocalypse. No sense pleading with zombies not to eat brains.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

minuspace

It's like this, you can't really blame someone for being authentically intolerant of actual intolerance. Cognitive dissonance is worn out.

The Wizard Joseph

My only thought on the matter that hasn't already been expressed by another is that if we're banning an idea we don't like and every fool that spouts it openly here then perhaps the board needs to seriously consider what sort of folks and ideas are desirable and seek them out by some means. If we're to be active in exclusion we might do well to be active in inclusion.

Also... much of what is known about the problem came directly from some wannabe "NAZI" fools that couldn't KYFMS to save their souls or from searches into their spouted bullshit. In banning the occasional fuckers coming here we exclude the possibility of incidental info coming to us. Do we begin to seek it out or sit happy in our new "clean" little space here and play 5 word story while they busily push their message elsewhere?

Is this ultimately about a more comfortable board or about actually intending to prepare for a real fight?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl