News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

ABSOLUTE CHAOS

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 11, 2017, 02:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on May 10, 2017, 12:49:34 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2017, 01:12:22 AM
"Okay, we have the water system under control so long as it doesn't rain.  In Arizona.  Out of season."

Ha.  Hahaha.  AHAHAHAHAHA.

*sky immediately turns black and pisses hate down for 3 hours, flooding out our system*

And every now and then clearly the cosmos is pissing in your Cheerios specifically.

Who puts a tank in a pit? 

Can't ship water to the SWTP or they'll overflow and put shit on dirt.  Which is really, really bad.  So the rain hasn't stopped, and the pit is flooding, but the tank is empty.  The obvious result is gonna happen, and Pete asks me "do we ship water"? 

No.  We do not.  We do many things, but we do not put shit on dirt.

And the empty tank tears loose of it's piping and pops out of the pit like Goddamn Shamu.  My boss calls me to start the incident investigation, and says "Don't worry about it.  You did the exact right thing, and I am sure the EPA guy will agree.  Also, did anyone film it, because I really want to see it."

Have I mentioned that she's an even better boss than Jim?  I didn't imagine that was possible, but she is.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 10, 2017, 03:38:43 AM
"Okay, we have the water system under control so long as it doesn't rain.  In Arizona.  Out of season."

*sky immediately turns black and pisses hate down for 3 hours, flooding out our system*

And every now and then clearly the cosmos is pissing in your Cheerios specifically.

Can't ship water to the SWTP or they'll overflow and put shit on dirt.  Which is really, really bad.  So the rain hasn't stopped, and the pit is flooding, but the tank is empty.  The obvious result is gonna happen, and Pete asks me "do we ship water"? 

And the empty tank tears loose of it's piping and pops out of the pit like Goddamn Shamu.  My boss calls me to start the incident investigation, and says "Don't worry about it.  You did the exact right thing, and I am sure the EPA guy will agree.  Also, did anyone film it, because I really want to see it."

Have I mentioned that she's an even better boss than Jim?  I didn't imagine that was possible, but she is.

By putting shit on dirt do you mean pumping raw sewage onto the ground to sit and bake in the Arizona sun after the rain stops? Or is it more like industrial waste?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on May 10, 2017, 03:47:48 AM

By putting shit on dirt do you mean pumping raw sewage onto the ground to sit and bake in the Arizona sun after the rain stops? Or is it more like industrial waste?

I mean the sewer treatment plant would overflow and literally put human shit on dirt.  This is generally considered a bad thing by the county and state regulatory folks.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 10, 2017, 03:51:21 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on May 10, 2017, 03:47:48 AM

I mean the sewer treatment plant would overflow and literally put human shit on dirt.  This is generally considered a bad thing by the county and state regulatory folks.

Also regular folks.

I'm not sure what to make of the timing, but I'm starting to get the feeling that Murphy's law requires some sort of modification to the effect of "yes the worst thing that can go wrong will go wrong barring Roger's Intervention acting not so much on the risk equation but on the jumpy primates freaking out thinking that they can make things "better" or "fix" them and thus fucking things up more, or factor H. You not only called it you kept the panicky reaction of your coworker contained.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Had a lonnnnng meeting with a vendor today.  I spent the first half hour designing a SCADA report that would measure the cortisol level in my blood1 and set off a whoopie light whenever I'm about to hulk out.  Because I'm socially-conscious that way.

1 I had to sort of assume a set of values for the device measuring the cortisol, because I don't understand biology very well.

The Good Reverend Roger

Reasons Donna is an even better boss than Jim #1:  Pissing Jim off was funny, but when you get all weird at Donna, she just runs it back at you.  Example:

Me:  We really need a site truck.

Donna:  Why?

Me:  For town runs and because the wells are 4 miles away and it's not actually legal to drive the carts to them.

Donna:  Okay.  *turns to her computer, orders a pickup truck*

Glenn:  Was it that easy? 

Donna:  Yep.  Toolbox?

Me:  Yes.

Donna:  Anything else?

Me:  I'd like hydraulics to make the ass drop.

Glenn:  And a bumpin' stereo.

Donna:  Sorry, guys, there's no line item for "the caws that go boom."

Glenn and I:  "BEST BOSS EVER!"

Donna:  Get back to work.

LMNO

I just need to know which one of you is Tigra, and which one is Bunny.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on May 25, 2017, 12:49:02 PM
I just need to know which one of you is Tigra, and which one is Bunny.

I think I have to admit that Glen is Tigra, much as I'd like to say otherwise.   :lulz: