News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

The Truth About Discordianism (Stay Tuned For More)

Started by Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard, June 16, 2017, 05:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard

Discordianism is the appreciation of chaos, not always an excuse to seek it out.

Chaos in the face of overwhelming order, yes. Things, however, are not in order. Struggle for chaos now is not warranted.

In the face of overwhelming chaos, the Discordian has no choice but to be uncharacteristically orderly... but not at all times.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

hooplala

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on June 16, 2017, 05:23:30 AM
Discordianism is the appreciation of chaos, not always an excuse to seek it out.

Chaos in the face of overwhelming order, yes. Things, however, are not in order. Struggle for chaos now is not warranted.

In the face of overwhelming chaos, the Discordian has no choice but to be uncharacteristically orderly... but not at all times.

I assume you posted this in Discordian Recipes to spite order?

Also, I would argue order is part of chaos, but that's a personal nitpick.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Maybe yours is.  Mine is the deliberate sowing of chaos. 

Except when it's not.

You're doing it wrong.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

The truth about Discordianism is the same as the truth about everything else: It's a sham and a hoax, and it won't end well for anyone.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on June 16, 2017, 08:34:00 AM
The truth about Discordianism is the same as the truth about everything else: It's a sham and a hoax, and it won't end well for anyone.

It started as a casual lie to get hired, but spiraled completely out of control.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

My Discordia is that we are always in a natural state of chaos, our culture is tulmut, it is a complementary reflection of the perfectly ordered universe, that has always been ordered, will always be ordered.  Whether you act orderly or disorderly matters not.

I would also disagree that we are in a time of overwhelming chaos, we are in a time of overwhelming confusion, it appears chaotic, where opportunist politicians use that to their advantage, they are the greyface, and though their actions now seem chaotic,they have a grim and predictable outcome
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Salty

I try to keep Discordia as far away from my self as possible. She's gross and weird and mean.

Quote(Stay Tuned For More)

I was going to say how disappointing this recipe was, but then I remembered the candied yams. Now I'm REALLY disappointed.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

hooplala

Quote from: Salty on June 16, 2017, 02:46:07 PM
I try to keep Discordia as far away from my self as possible. She's gross and weird and mean.

Quote(Stay Tuned For More)

I was going to say how disappointing this recipe was, but then I remembered the candied yams. Now I'm REALLY disappointed.

:lol:
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

Discordianism is

an attitude

my attitude:
CHAOS is the book in which ORDER and DISORDER are written
CHAOS is the raw universe, "Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild", but brimming with potential energy

there's a way of understanding things
a way which is outside of order and disorder, outside of reason and emotion,
formless, therefore objective,
the source
the spirit of the valley
the crack in What Is
the seed growing from What Isn't

the banana cream pie
                                in flight
the banana peel
                         you just stepped on

what your face looked like
                                      before you were born
the self
            that has no face

after the wild circus

LMNO

Quote from: The Chao te Ching, Chapter 4
This is Chaos: it is everything, including itself.
All of Starbuck's Pebbles come from it.
It confuses Order, it arranges Disorder.
It multiplies its opposite, it positively negates.
Lying below life, lining the world.
The origin of all patterns.
It has existed before we observed it.
Ok, that last one's not quite accurate.
You can't really observe Chaos, just the consequences.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Your Discordia can be whatever you want it to be. That's the beauty of it; your Discordianism is about YOU, so it also serves as an effective means of figuring out who to avoid.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

I can't tell you, Faust, how happy it makes me to see you're still using my graphics for your icon.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Salty

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on June 17, 2017, 08:03:54 PM
I can't tell you, Faust, how happy it makes me to see you're still using my graphics for your icon.

I'm surprised at all. It is an incredible piece of art.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Faust

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on June 17, 2017, 08:03:54 PM
At first I used it as a joke, but I have grown fond of it, it is your art though so I should ask if it's ok?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Quote from: Hoopla on June 16, 2017, 05:26:25 AM
I assume you posted this in Discordian Recipes to spite order?

I wish I could say yes, but the truth is that I'm an idiot.

Also, I would argue order is part of chaos, but that's a personal nitpick.

Speaking of being an idiot, I often get chaos confused with disorder and both of them confused with confusion.
~ Abrahaham Lincololn