News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

i spend too much time on facebook

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, September 05, 2017, 05:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

It's probably my paranoia, or I'm just missing a large piece of the picture somewhere, but it seems that popular Facebook groups (expecially the ones with lax moderation) tend to hit some level of activity or membership size, and then face an almost automatic onslaught of alt-right trolling. I've seen it happen to a number of groups, not least of which almost every single Discordian group. It tends to happen faster when there's a high level of anti-Trump or otherwise progressive content or opinion being shared.

I'm not saying there's an Alt-Right mastermind out there, but... is there an Alt-Right mastermind out there? Because the level of racist, sexist, generally douchebaggy trolling spikes and it tends to either destroy the group, or turn it into a nuked-out husk filled with Pepe memes and people calling everything that moves "cuck". Am I crazy, or is this an actual phenomenon? And if it is a thing that actually does happen almost predictably, is there more to it than just roving bands of neo-Nazis that just accidentally hit some kind of critical mass and begin festering?
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

Doesn't need to be.  Swarming tactics are made for the internet.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Cain on September 05, 2017, 05:24:52 AM
Doesn't need to be.  Swarming tactics are made for the internet.
True enough. Are there any tactics shown to be effective in countering such swarms short of administrator-level fucks given?
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.