News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Stanislav Petrov the end of Days

Started by MMIX, September 18, 2017, 08:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMIX

I wasn't sure where to put this, but it kind of feels kind of discordio-political. Please move if inappropriate

RIP Lt. Col. Stanislav Petrov. Thanks for Saving The World.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/9/18/1699419/-RIP-Lt-Col--Thanks-for-Saving-The-World

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

freshmeat

Quote from: MMIX on September 18, 2017, 08:30:32 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this, but it kind of feels kind of discordio-political. Please move if inappropriate

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/9/18/1699419/-RIP-Lt-Col--Thanks-for-Saving-The-World

"A Soviet officer who prevented nuclear Armageddon has passed away aged 77. Stansilav Petrov was monitoring radar in Moscow at the height of the Cold War in 1983 when it showed that America had launched a salvo of nukes at Russia.Despite panic among his subordinates Petrov decided not to retaliate, and it was later revealed the radar reading was false - generated by sunbeams reflected off some clouds."

for better or worse he kept the game alive

MMIX

Quote from: freshmeat on September 18, 2017, 08:43:10 PM
Quote from: MMIX on September 18, 2017, 08:30:32 PM

"A Soviet officer who prevented nuclear Armageddon has passed away aged 77. Stansilav Petrov was monitoring radar in Moscow at the height of the Cold War in 1983 when it showed that America had launched a salvo of nukes at Russia.Despite panic among his subordinates Petrov decided not to retaliate, and it was later revealed the radar reading was false - generated by sunbeams reflected off some clouds."

for better or worse he kept the game alive

Yep and, as a lowly pawn, I thank him daily for his service.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

The Good Reverend Roger

We have had a few threads glorifying the Patron Saint of Keepin' Your Nerve.

But in his case, there's always room for another.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

Going to have to have a few drinks on the 26th, thank you for your service to the human race Lt. We definitely didn't deserve you
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Ziegejunge

I don't have a lot to add, but I'd be remiss not to state my regard for Petrov and this is as good a place as any to do so. RIP sir.