News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

ITT, We shit all over the future for SOCIAL JUSTICE!

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, June 22, 2017, 04:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POFP

Quote from: Pope Pelvis Flirtini on August 31, 2017, 10:19:54 PM
Possible Alternative Situation: If we attract too much of the wrong attention, we end up with spam-bots and rule-breakers who would turn this place into a garbage dump, or use up all of the admins' time in their attempts.

I briefly hosted my own backwoods, highly-specialized message board, the only links to which existed on a backwoods Wikipedia page and a backwoods Google Group. It's unbelievable how much bot traffic I was constantly having to fend off.

I'm not a web hosting expert or web designer, nor have I ever administered a website before. But I suspect that that's likely due to the fact that bots are usually run tandem to spiders, which are enumerating every single link on every page, and then visiting each of those pages, and repeating the process. If your message board was technically able to be indexed by Google or any other search engine, I feel like it'd be quite easy for the spider to find your message board, regardless of how obscure it was for the ordinary person. At that point, it comes down to the bot protections you have in place (CAPTCHAS, etc), and the type of message board software you're using, if you didn't code it yourself. Or maybe you simply needed someone constantly blocking and kicking bots like Cain, here.  :lol:
This Certified Popeā„¢ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on August 31, 2017, 07:41:58 PM
We already get a lot of bots.  However someone deletes most of them at the signup stage.

I'd help, but I don't have permission to delete unapproved accounts.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard

Quote from: PoFP on August 31, 2017, 10:35:01 PM
Quote from: Pope Pelvis Flirtini on August 31, 2017, 10:19:54 PM
Possible Alternative Situation: If we attract too much of the wrong attention, we end up with spam-bots and rule-breakers who would turn this place into a garbage dump, or use up all of the admins' time in their attempts.

I briefly hosted my own backwoods, highly-specialized message board, the only links to which existed on a backwoods Wikipedia page and a backwoods Google Group. It's unbelievable how much bot traffic I was constantly having to fend off.

I'm not a web hosting expert or web designer, nor have I ever administered a website before. But I suspect that that's likely due to the fact that bots are usually run tandem to spiders, which are enumerating every single link on every page, and then visiting each of those pages, and repeating the process. If your message board was technically able to be indexed by Google or any other search engine, I feel like it'd be quite easy for the spider to find your message board, regardless of how obscure it was for the ordinary person. At that point, it comes down to the bot protections you have in place (CAPTCHAS, etc), and the type of message board software you're using, if you didn't code it yourself. Or maybe you simply needed someone constantly blocking and kicking bots like Cain, here.  :lol:

Yeah, no, the person constantly blocking and kicking was me, and the captchas from that particular board implementation were probably easier than a prom queen.

It makes sense that spiders would make no qualms about going anywhere and everywhere. When you think like a robot, all of the web is fair game. Actually, speaking of Google indexing, old threads in this forum pop up as number one under certain searches. To be fair, the search that led me straight back here was "Upright Citizens Brigade Discordian".
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

minuspace

Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard

"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

freshmeat

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 23, 2017, 02:41:32 AM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on June 22, 2017, 04:57:17 AM
this is why i'm sincerely hoping we colonize a planet in my lifetime. It's the only semi-possible escape i can see from this madness.

If we can't get our shit together here, we won't be able to get our shit together anywhere else, either. I'm not sure what that would accomplish besides fucking up more planets (which aren't really even ours to fuck up in the first place).

yeah, duh. But imagine the interplanetary football rivalries!