News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

Spooks!

Started by Bird Daughter, June 24, 2017, 09:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bird Daughter

(I am new to the traditional forum format, so if I am doing anything wrong then please let me know)

What do you think of the ideas of Max Stirner? I figured you guys would like him because he is a strong advocate of disobeying authority and acting in your own interest, AKA 'doing whatever the shit you want'.

Links
------
The Ego And His Own
https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/max-stirner-the-ego-and-his-own

The Unique And Its Property (A new translation of the ego and his own that's easier to read but no one likes because it says 'phantasms' instead of 'spooks') [PDF]
https://www.pdf-archive.com/2017/06/24/the-unique-and-its-property/

Q. G. Pennyworth

Hey new person!

There is an Introductions thread around here somewhere, but I wouldn't worry too much about standing on formality. Feel free to poke around and comment on whatever threads tickle your fancy.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bird Daughter

Thanks for being so welcoming, I was kind of worried that with my first post being semi-political I would be seen as a pain.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bird Daughter on June 25, 2017, 02:55:01 AM
Thanks for being so welcoming, I was kind of worried that with my first post being semi-political I would be seen as a pain.

You are.

But we're worse.  We are in fact bad people.  Everyone thinks that's a joke, or braggadocio, but it isn't.  It's sort of what would happen if you took the cast of The Real World and walled them all up together for 15 years.

So you're fine.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

It's not outright Nazism, which helps a bit.

Not familiar with the chap, will have a dig and see what's interesting.

3 points for new subject matter, at least for me. Kudos to you.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

For reference bird daughter, this is the part where you say something abhorrent and I retake my vow of silence.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Bird Daughter

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 25, 2017, 11:57:20 PM

It's not outright Nazism, which helps a bit.

Not familiar with the chap, will have a dig and see what's interesting.

3 points for new subject matter, at least for me. Kudos to you.

Not even close to Nazism, most people interpret his writing as a kind of individualistic form of left anarchism (post-left if you're going to pick of the nits).

Cain

I appreciate Stirner more as an influence than as a thinker in and of himself.  Rational egoism is very easy to claim, by a devious enough mind, as a reason for almost anything if one's self-interest is broadly enough defined, making it somewhat useless as a concept.

I do share his scepticism regarding social institutions, but I also think he doesn't take it far enough, by stopping with the individual ego.  I also think that while those concepts are certainly false, their outcomes are, at least in some cases, more preferable than anything that would come out of his own prescriptions.