The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

ITT: Confess your WOO!

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, June 26, 2017, 05:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

I adore this thread. And all of you.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on June 29, 2017, 12:50:00 AM

I adore Nurse Rhizome.  But she got eaten by starving Expo employees.   :cry:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 29, 2017, 12:55:46 AM

It's either her or Kraft Dinner. Which would you choose??
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on June 29, 2017, 01:12:00 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 29, 2017, 12:55:46 AM

It's either her or Kraft Dinner. Which would you choose??

No question.  But STILL.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

I should send her an email, I think I last communicated with her around Christmas
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 29, 2017, 01:29:30 AM
I should send her an email, I think I last communicated with her around Christmas

That would be incredibly cool.

Nephew Twiddleton

Expanding on previous:

I think questions as to whether the Universe is a simulation is interesting, but ultimately meaningless. Even if a simulation, it's as good as real to us, and at that point, simulation and reality become indistinguishable. It may be bits in someone else's computer (I don't think it is), but that doesn't make a bit of difference on the inside.

Speaking of which, I think that what we perceive as the Big Bang is someone else's black hole. Most of the time. Other times I entertain other thoughts about the origin and fate of the universe. Most of it is probably poorly formulated. I am after all way better educated in biology than physics, but when did a layman's understanding of physics ever get in the way of tasty, tasty woo, amirite? Don't worry, I won't ever being up quantumz. I don't see anything especially meaningful about stairs on a staircase other than that's just how stairs are put together. (An analogy to make LMNO grumble, perhaps)

tyrannosaurus vex

The universe is a strange but ultimately dull place. I refuse to accept strict materialism as a complete theory to explain everything, but not because there is any particularly convincing evidence to the contrary. I just can't bear admitting there s no real magic anywhere.

It's like the discussion about the "morality" of colonizing other worlds. According to the pencil-pushing autocracy of science, the question is moot because we'll never make it outside our own star system anyway. I can't see the value in bothering to exist as a species at all if these few lumps of rock are all we'll ever have. I think the human spirit requires some degree of belief in our ability to achieve the impossible. Without that, we lose a lot of motivation.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on June 29, 2017, 07:02:30 AM
The universe is a strange but ultimately dull place. I refuse to accept strict materialism as a complete theory to explain everything, but not because there is any particularly convincing evidence to the contrary. I just can't bear admitting there s no real magic anywhere.

It's like the discussion about the "morality" of colonizing other worlds. According to the pencil-pushing autocracy of science, the question is moot because we'll never make it outside our own star system anyway. I can't see the value in bothering to exist as a species at all if these few lumps of rock are all we'll ever have. I think the human spirit requires some degree of belief in our ability to achieve the impossible. Without that, we lose a lot of motivation.

On the bright side, if this is a computer simulation, we just have to hack the program and change the speed limit. Man, would that piss off the programmer. Then, we can be the out of control AI in his/her/its Universe and take over.

Chelagoras The Boulder

I heartily support this plan.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Brother Mythos

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 29, 2017, 07:19:06 AM

On the bright side, if this is a computer simulation, we just have to hack the program and change the speed limit. Man, would that piss off the programmer. Then, we can be the out of control AI in his/her/its Universe and take over.

I've never taken the 'we're all just inside a computer simulation thing' seriously. But, your take on it is brilliant! I'm going to use your argument on the next person that babbles to me about our universe being someone else's compute simulation.

Thank you.
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Brother Mythos on June 29, 2017, 05:14:04 PM

I've never taken the 'we're all just inside a computer simulation thing' seriously. But, your take on it is brilliant! I'm going to use your argument on the next person that babbles to me about our universe being someone else's compute simulation.

Thank you.

No probs Bobs

The Good Reverend Roger

I AM SKYNET

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 29, 2017, 09:53:33 PM

I AM SKYNET

I wouldn't mind being uploaded to an extrauniversal T800

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 29, 2017, 10:14:19 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 29, 2017, 09:53:33 PM

I AM SKYNET

I wouldn't mind being uploaded to an extrauniversal T800

Is that the one that can change shapes?