News:

CAN'T A BROTHER GET A LITTLE PEACE?

Main Menu

Look both ways before you cross

Started by Fallenkezef, June 27, 2017, 03:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on July 05, 2017, 08:35:37 PM
I can identify with a ton of shit, from Gautama Buddha to the cast of Silicon Valley, doesn't mean I'm retarded enough to describe myself as a Buddhist or a f'kin Bachmanian tho. Anyone who does, I reserve the right to fuck with mercilessly.

:mittens:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on July 06, 2017, 02:03:41 AM
What we really need is a welfare system that drops off gradually. Like for every five cents you make above a certain minimum they strike three cents off your assistance, that way there's never a situation where a pay increase can leave you making more than two cents less than you were before (and even that only happens on a one cent increase that pushes you to a multiple of five).

What we need is fucking basic income.

You can't run a consumer economy when nobody can fucking buy anything, and robots can do most peoples' jobs better than the people can.

And the funniest part is, a robust consumer economy is literally the only chance the species has, because we have closed the door to any other option more or less permanently.  We are running downhill on ice, and the moment we lose our nerve, we're some cop's really, really bad night at the bar.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Ziegejunge

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on July 05, 2017, 08:35:37 PM
I can identify with a ton of shit, from Gautama Buddha to the cast of Silicon Valley, doesn't mean I'm retarded enough to describe myself as a Buddhist or a f'kin Bachmanian tho. Anyone who does, I reserve the right to fuck with mercilessly.

:mittens:

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Fallenkezef on June 27, 2017, 03:23:33 PMDon't like the result of an election or referendum? We'll riot, burn and destroy till we get what we want! We'll demand more referendums till we get the result we want and if the other side don't like it, well that's "undemocratic."

Are you talking about Brexit of Trump? Because Trump wasn't elected, he was appointed to the presidency by the electoral college after losing the election by more than two million votes. AFAIK you're right about Brexit though.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Another problem with the left is that in places, certainly not everywhere but it places, multiculturalism and diversity have been been deformed into an essentially reactionary caricature of themselves. You can't do or use anything associated with another culture because that's "cultural appropriation", and to a lesser extent ethnic people are discouraged from acting too white. It's as if isolation and segregation was the goal. Multiculturalism doesn't mean multiple distinct and isolated cultures happening to be in the same place, it means multiple cultures interacting and eventually fusing into a single huge superculture.

Also, (pro vided that the matter doesn't relate to women's rights or gay rights) other cultures are cut a lot of undue slack to do backwards and barbaric things in places where a white person would be rightly called out on it. They are also given more slack to have been backwards in the past. A lot of the peoples conquered during the age of european imperialism were indeed barbaric compared to the europeans; we just can't see it because the olden europeans are in turn barbaric compared to us, and the gulf between them and us is much larger than the gulf between them and those they conquered; but some of those people they conquered (the Aztecs for instance) still practiced human sacrifice and shit like that, that kind of thing needed to be stopped.

EDIT:
I apologize for the rough disjointed nature of this post, I had to submit it without having the chance to tidy it up or  fully write out my thoughts because my break ended

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

hooplala

Oh, I don't know... I can think of one of two people I wouldn't mind sacrificing.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on July 06, 2017, 10:08:19 PM
Another problem with the left is that in places, certainly not everywhere but it places, multiculturalism and diversity have been been deformed into an essentially reactionary caricature of themselves. You can't do or use anything associated with another culture because that's "cultural appropriation", and to a lesser extent ethnic people are discouraged from acting too white. It's as if isolation and segregation was the goal. Multiculturalism doesn't mean multiple distinct and isolated cultures happening to be in the same place, it means multiple cultures interacting and eventually fusing into a single huge superculture.

Also, (pro vided that the matter doesn't relate to women's rights or gay rights) other cultures are cut a lot of undue slack to do backwards and barbaric things in places where a white person would be rightly called out on it. They are also given more slack to have been backwards in the past. A lot of the peoples conquered during the age of european imperialism were indeed barbaric compared to the europeans; we just can't see it because the olden europeans are in turn barbaric compared to us, and the gulf between them and us is much larger than the gulf between them and those they conquered; but some of those people they conquered (the Aztecs for instance) still practiced human sacrifice and shit like that, that kind of thing needed to be stopped.

EDIT:
I apologize for the rough disjointed nature of this post, I had to submit it without having the chance to tidy it up or  fully write out my thoughts because my break ended

Anyway, I remember a while back on some forum or another, I forget where, saying that wouldn't it be great if in the future absolutely everyone was mixed race (like really mixed, like part black, part white, part asian, part jewish, part misc. indigenous peoples mixed, not half-ass mixed like part french part irish or something) and (in addition to realtively sensible things like "never gonna happen", and "people would find something else to hate each other for) there were some really fucked up responses to the effect that the races shouldn't be totally mixed, and they didn't come from white supremicists; Nobody got called out on this, despite the fact that if it had been in the context of keeping the white race pure it almost certainly would have; apparently it's ok for non-white people to be anti-miscegenation.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on July 06, 2017, 11:34:15 PM

EDIT:

Anyway, I remember a while back on some forum or another, I forget where, saying that wouldn't it be great if in the future absolutely everyone was mixed race (like really mixed, like part black, part white, part asian, part jewish, part misc. indigenous peoples mixed, not half-ass mixed like part french part irish or something) and (in addition to realtively sensible things like "never gonna happen", and "people would find something else to hate each other for) there were some really fucked up responses to the effect that the races shouldn't be totally mixed, and they didn't come from white supremicists; Nobody got called out on this, despite the fact that if it had been in the context of keeping the white race pure it almost certainly would have; apparently it's ok for non-white people to be anti-miscegenation.

Poor white folks.  They always get the shitty end of the stick.   :cry:

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 07, 2017, 01:49:51 AM

EDIT:

That's exactly what I'm talking about there. That's a non-sequitur, an ad-homenim, and (if you believe in racial equality) hypocritical. Being disadvantaged doesn't give you the right to be a jackass any more than being advantaged does. A white guy who hates asians, an asian who hates blacks, and a black who hates whites are all equally bad, because all races are equal and interchangable.

It's the same with (serious) neopaganism, it's just as bullshit as christianity but liberals let it slide because it doesn't currently have a big enough following to actively cause trouble; that doesn't mean it's good or even just not bad, that just means it's small.

Edit:
But mostly your response a strawman. My point was clearly that opposing mixed relationships and mixed race people would be bad regardless of who was saying it, but you turned it completely in the opposite direction to try and make it look like I was saying that white people should be allowed to oppose mixed relationships and mixed race people

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on July 07, 2017, 02:11:10 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 07, 2017, 01:49:51 AM

EDIT:

That's exactly what I'm talking about there. That's a non-sequitur, an ad-homenim, and (if you believe in racial equality) hypocritical. Being disadvantaged doesn't give you the right to be a jackass any more than being advantaged does. A white guy who hates asians, an asian who hates blacks, and a black who hates whites are all equally bad, because all races are equal and interchangable.

It's the same with (serious) neopaganism, it's just as bullshit as christianity but liberals let it slide because it doesn't currently have a big enough following to actively cause trouble; that doesn't mean it's good or even just not bad, that just means it's small.

Edit:
But mostly your response a strawman. My point was clearly that opposing mixed relationships and mixed race people would be bad regardless of who was saying it, but you turned it completely in the opposite direction to try and make it look like I was saying that white people should be allowed to oppose mixed relationships and mixed race people

At some point you are expecting me to stop mocking you and start debating?

Let me know how that works out.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I'll just go on assuming that you don't have a valid argument then

tyrannosaurus vex

If you spend your time worrying about what minorities do and say with respect to white people as if that's where you need to spend your energy, while disregarding the mountain of shit white people continue to do to minorities, you're gonna have a bad time. It's like getting pissed off because some feminists "hate men", as if alleviating that sore spot is somehow going to bring balance to a system that's already heavily weighted against them. It's utterly ignorant.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on July 07, 2017, 04:06:43 AM
If you spend your time worrying about what minorities do and say with respect to white people as if that's where you need to spend your energy, while disregarding the mountain of shit white people continue to do to minorities, you're gonna have a bad time. It's like getting pissed off because some feminists "hate men", as if alleviating that sore spot is somehow going to bring balance to a system that's already heavily weighted against them. It's utterly ignorant.

At no point did I say to disregard the mountain of racist shit that racist whites do, I just said not to disregard the racist shit that racist non-white people do. I can summarize my position as two rules:

1.) When white people say/do stupid racist shit, call them out on it
2.) When non-white people say/do stupid racist shit, call them out on it

These rules are in no way mutually exclusive

And I'm not saying to waste your energy seeking out and correcting bad behavior by the people who aren't in power and aren't in a position to do much harm, but if it happens to be right there in front of you say something. (or at least don't waste your energy criticizing the person who does say something)

Also, just because the group currently in power doesn't deserve it and doesn't use it well that doesn't mean that the group not in power does and will. History is littered with revolutions and regime changes that did no good. The tsardom's out and the soviet union's in, the soviet union;s out and Putin's in; same shit different day. A roman emperor has a vision, the religious landscape of europe changes, no longer will the christians be persecuted by the the pagans, now the pagans will be persecuted by the christians.  And of course there's the endless parade of near interchangable dictators in many parts of the third world

Edit:
To quote Romeo & Juliet, "A plague on both your houses"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on July 07, 2017, 03:59:45 AM
I'll just go on assuming that you don't have a valid argument then

:lulz:

You've been taking Libertarian classes, right?

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on July 07, 2017, 05:01:01 AM
Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on July 07, 2017, 04:06:43 AM

At no point did I say to disregard the mountain of racist shit that racist whites do, I just said not to disregard the racist shit that racist non-white people do. I can summarize my position as two rules:

1.) When white people say/do stupid racist shit, call them out on it
2.) When non-white people say/do stupid racist shit, call them out on it

These rules are in no way mutually exclusive

And I'm not saying to waste your energy seeking out and correcting bad behavior by the people who aren't in power and aren't in a position to do much harm, but if it happens to be right there in front of you say something. (or at least don't waste your energy criticizing the person who does say something)

Also, just because the group currently in power doesn't deserve it and doesn't use it well that doesn't mean that the group not in power does and will. History is littered with revolutions and regime changes that did no good. The tsardom's out and the soviet union's in, the soviet union;s out and Putin's in; same shit different day. A roman emperor has a vision, the religious landscape of europe changes, no longer will the christians be persecuted by the the pagans, now the pagans will be persecuted by the christians.  And of course there's the endless parade of near interchangable dictators in many parts of the third world

Edit:
To quote Romeo & Juliet, "A plague on both your houses"

That sure is a long-winded way of saying "I'm not racist, but brown people should probably watch their step around me".
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.