News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

ITT The Ether Theory is alive and well

Started by The Wizard Joseph, July 15, 2019, 03:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Qn3y0V1BY

Man I love me some Ether Theory! Even more I love Etherites and other Rogue scientists. I have decided to share this love here on PD. The video above is what inspired me to start this thread. It's typical of Ether Theory proponents. There's much technical jargon mashed in with ad hominem attacks, Wild assertions, and weird high nerdiness. What's not to love?

Slowly over time I will continue to add pieces to this thread as I learn things in my quest to understand better what Ether Theory is and how it could possibly work. My current limited understanding is that in essence the theory is that there is no such thing as nothing. The Aether is a pervasive energy from which all manifestations are created. It is a universal Essence in which all forms of matter and energy might be said to swim in a sense. I could of course be a bit wrong in this as my understanding of the theory is nascent, but I intend to grow it and share my new-found understanding here as I do.

Its proponents often have a bit of a persecution complex, a certain worshipfulness of Tesla and other scientists of his day, and a tendency to shoot from the hip scientifically. I fucking love them!

In this particular video the gentleman scientist has a particular bone to pick with the use of the word quantum. Man does he go off. He claims that a great many of our standing theories are in fact descriptions of The Ether By Any Other Name. Dark matter, quantum entanglement, the way light speed can speed up or slow down depending on the medium, all these are things that he gets a little bit of a chew on. This means that in order to understand ether Theory and his position I will also have to study these other theories and some depth as well. I look forward to this new project and invite you all along for the ride.

I will of course have NONE of your coward-science arguments against The Ether. The current consensus Paradigm is both pernicious and ill-informed! There's nothing that I can do to prevent you from embarrassing yourselves with your mewling, disingenuous "proofs" that The Ether does not exist. The Aether is the very grass in the backyard of God! ITT I will share everything I learn about this miraculous force of nature, and its many ingenious proponents. I hope you enjoy the ride! I know I will.

:scientist:
:science:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZUHyN_NCaQ

Another brief and to-the-point video detailing some of Aether theorie's agust history, a quick refutation of the michelson-morley experiment, and a rather fascinating quote from Einstein at the end. The video lacks a certain bombast, but you can't have everything.

There will be a lot of YouTube videos that I share here, but I intend to go over articles and, when I can afford to, get some (gasp) actual books on the subject to quote from.

edited to fix the link problem pointed out by chaotic neutral Observer
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

chaotic neutral observer

(Psst. Your second link points to the same video as the first link.)

I watched some of it, but couldn't last to the end.  That rambling, meandering style of exposition gives me a headache.

Are there a substantial number of etherites / etherologists, or is it just a few solitary nutballs?
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on July 15, 2019, 04:48:41 AM
(Psst. Your second link points to the same video as the first link.)

I watched some of it, but couldn't last to the end.  That rambling, meandering style of exposition gives me a headache.

Are there a substantial number of etherites / etherologists, or is it just a few solitary nutballs?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZUHyN_NCaQ

Copypasta failure  :sad:

The above link is the one that I intended.

I suspect that there's probably a fairly loose affiliation among the proponents of Ether Theory, but the truth is I have no idea. A piece at a time I intend to dig into some of the specifics on who's who and what's what within their community.

I suspect to find that there's a fair number of them, but I don't expect at they're very tightly organized. If I find out that they do conventions at some point I'd like to attend one Just to satisfy my own personal curiosity.

From time to time I will wax bombastic in this thread, but it's just an act intended to amuse.

I do however wholeheartedly believe that shit talking and ad hominem "refutation" are at least as important to the scientific method as repetition. So as to ensure that the Science is done properly I will occasionally rail against the "consensus" and call it out as the Rusty Bucket of leprechaun jism that it is.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CHrOn2at8Ec

I will happily confess that most of this is entirely over my head for the time being. It's kind of hard to watch because the voice is so monotonous, but I got through it by imagining that an insane robot was instructing me on particle physics. I watched the whole thing and as far as I can tell this is how physicists Mad Dog each other. Something something Rene Descarte was right about the whirlpools. Something something there is no dark matter. Something something Maxwell was wrong entirely. Something something there is no relativity.

I may be out in the deep end and in way, way over my head, But. I. Love. It! I must just have a kink for Heresy.
:lulz:

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_ether_theory

I read this Wiki entirely and followed many of the links when I didn't understand something. There is a lot that I still don't understand, but if I understand what I could grasp correctly Lorentz postulated in Aether that does not move at all, thus explaining why the michelson-morley experiment was a Negative. There is room in special relativity for The Ether, but you have to strip it of all physical properties (including immobility ) and even observability. Thus the Aether becomes a difference that makes no difference mathematically and it can be discarded. So The Ether Theory was marginalized and eventually discarded.

I must admit that all of the math in this is way over my head. In order to speak to the veracity of any of this stuff I would need an education for like 10 years in mathematics and particle physics, that's just to begin to speak the lingo. Fortunately I'm not here to be all mathematical. I'm doing this to investigate the theory and those who still hold to it. It seems to make sense when you put it in terms of Simply being "the medium that light travels through as a wave", but there's been a lot of mathematical and even philosophical jousting over whether or not light needs a medium.

I'm rather enjoying the challenge of understanding these Concepts. The subject matter is a bit dry, but definitely a tasty morsel to chew on. I get the vision that there was sort of a knife fight going on between physicists, but instead of knives they're throwing mathematical equations at each other.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl