Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

ITT Mandela Effect fuckery biblical or otherwise

Started by The Wizard Joseph, July 02, 2017, 04:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on July 03, 2017, 05:28:29 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 02, 2017, 01:08:59 PM
I could have sworn that someone different played Winston Zeddemore in Ghostbusters II, because Ernie Hudson passed on reprising the role.

When I read this sentence the first time I accidentally read it as if there was a comma between "on" and "reprising". That would've been a great Ghostbusters movie.

Metal. As. Fuck.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on July 03, 2017, 06:02:40 PM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on July 03, 2017, 05:18:13 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 03, 2017, 04:35:07 PM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on July 03, 2017, 02:08:09 AM
Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on July 02, 2017, 05:40:58 PM
I don't know if this qualifies (probably not), but I remember as a kid in the late 80s/early 90s playing these "choose your own adventure" games via telephone hotlines. I was curious one day and decided to look them up online, but they're not mentioned anywhere I can find them (or my google-fu is poor) except on one forum post somewhere with no replies. Maybe the Time Lords cancelled their existence.

I've had things where I've tried to remember their names or look them up but was unable to find them for years (and I then I suddenly found most of them over the course of the previous year. For those curious these included the movie "Soulkeeper", the cartoon "The Halloween Tree", the book "The Summer I Shrunk My Grandmother", and the published D&D encounter "The Shrine of Gath-Mal)

Now as for the bible you also have to keep in mind that there's at least twenty-something translations, take a look:

http://biblehub.com/ecclesiastes/1-2.htm

Also the King James version while famous is in many places a very poor translation. In the Book of Revelation for instance it has the personification of famine giving out food essentially for free.
While I agree the KJV is shit translation, I'm pretty sure this isn't actually in it.
:cn:

http://biblehub.com/revelation/6-6.htm

compare:

New International Version:
Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, "Two pounds of wheat for a day's wages, and six pounds of barley for a day's wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!"

Berean Litetal Bible
And I heard something like a voice in the midst of the four living creatures, saying, "A choenix of wheat for a denarius, and three choenixes of barley for a denarius; and you should not injure the oil and the wine."

New Living Translation
And I heard a voice from among the four living beings say, "A loaf of wheat bread or three loaves of barley will cost a day's pay. And don't waste the olive oil and wine."

King James
And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, 'A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine.'

Now, I checked, and I'm pretty sure the British penny is as worthless as the American penny (can one of you brits verify?) and also I did a google search and apparently some of the really miserable third world sweatshop workers get as little as one cent an hour, so if we're really generous the King James Bible is off by a factor of ten

That scripture is actually saying it will be terribly expensive for basic things like bread, and stuff like wine and olive oil will be absurdly expensive. Bread, olive oil and wine were the staples of the day.

This. The use of "penny" isn't what I remember. I remember "day's wages" but I prefer the NIV so that could just be me...

Or it could be yet another Mandela effect.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Nephew Twiddleton

A penny might have been a shitload of money during the reign of James
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 04, 2017, 12:55:05 AM
A penny might have been a shitload of money during the reign of James
We'll get there again, someday.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Brother Mythos

I've got one under the category of "or otherwise" that may be appropriate for our Independence Day. I'm seeing what I call a "Rewriting of History" concerning the US contribution to winning WWII. I've never thought of it as the Mandela Effect, but I suppose this example may count as such.

My old memories of the Normandy invasion are based upon the stories I heard as a boy (Including the brief utterances of an uncle who landed on Utah Beach), the many documentaries of the 1950's, and statements made by Stephen E. Ambrose, an eminent historian of WWII. Lately, I'm finding those memories are significantly different from what I'm now reading, and seeing on TV. 

Being a student of history, and having had the opportunity to visit the Normandy beachheads with "Uncle François" (extended family) as a guide, my memories of all of this are quite clear and vivid.

When we visited The Mémorial de Caen, I was surprised to learn that Americans had been, pretty much, allowed to tag along with the British during their great victories at the Normandy beachheads. And although I was irritated, I wrote it off as the French catering to the large numbers of British tourists visiting the museum, versus the paltry number of Americans that manage to find there way into Caen. (We had visited the Normandy beachheads, museums, and cemeteries during one of the invasion anniversaries, and still only a small handful of Americans were there.)   

Anyway, now I'm reading, and seeing on TV, that we Americans had totally misjudged the difficulty in fighting our way through the famous Normandy hedgerows, and that's why it took Americans so long to achieve a breakout from the beachheads. The way I remember it, however, is that our allies totally screwed the pooch by not taking Caen on schedule, and leading the originally planned breakout through the flat, open country, sans hedgerows, that lie to the east of Omaha beach. I distinctly remember Stephen E. Ambrose remarking that after making easy landings at their assigned beachheads, our allies stopped to make tea, congratulate themselves, and fail to aggressively press further inland over easy terrain.

Again, to emphasize my point, I'm now reading, and seeing on TV, that we Americans are the ones that dropped the ball. And this despite the fact that it was American forces that ultimately achieved the Normandy breakout at Saint-Lô. Needless to say, I'm offended after seeing for myself what American forces had to deal with at Omaha beach and Pointe du Hoc, compared to what the other allied forces faced. And although casualties were much lighter at Utah beach, I'm surprised the landing there succeeded at all, after seeing the lay of the land for myself.

So, is this an example of the Mandela Effect?
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

The Wizard Joseph

It could be in that the effect is in having a vastly different memory from what reality currently presents to most. I would have to consult with my dad who is a serious world war II buff to know the context, but let me ask you this without googling: What color were Hitler's eyes?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iU83R7rpXQY
The above is a link to a high quality version of the "Zapruder film" of JFK's assassination. Notice anything different? I remember a different angle and a 4 seater sedan not 6. The final headshot looks different to me as well.
There's a lot of material covering this ME on youtube. I remember when the big going theory was the driver shot him from several frames that might be construed as him turning back towards Kennedy with a "gun" that was too blurry to be sure of, but bare moments before the final shot. None of these frames exist anymore and the going theory, for a long time now apparently, is that JACKIE might have shot him.

Tell me I'm crazy. This freaked me out more than even C-3po's silver leg.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

hooplala

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 05, 2017, 07:41:35 PM
The above is a link to a high quality version of the "Zapruder film" of JFK's assassination. Notice anything different? I remember a different angle and a 4 seater sedan not 6. The final headshot looks different to me as well.
There's a lot of material covering this ME on youtube. I remember when the big going theory was the driver shot him from several frames that might be construed as him turning back towards Kennedy with a "gun" that was too blurry to be sure of, but bare moments before the final shot. None of these frames exist anymore and the going theory, for a long time now apparently, is that JACKIE might have shot him.

I remember noticing C-3PO's silver leg as a kid in the early 80s. And most people assume the JFK convertible was a 4-seater. I don't think that is all that unusual.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Hoopla on July 05, 2017, 09:51:22 PM

I remember noticing C-3PO's silver leg as a kid in the early 80s. And most people assume the JFK convertible was a 4-seater. I don't think that is all that unusual.

There's a lot of folks who don't remember these things including myself. As for the causes I leave that to others to speculate about or scoff over, but it's a thing that is actually happening to folks. I merely report my own experience and what others seem to believe.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

hooplala

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 05, 2017, 10:41:45 PM

There's a lot of folks who don't remember these things including myself. As for the causes I leave that to others to speculate about or scoff over, but it's a thing that is actually happening to folks. I merely report my own experience and what others seem to believe.

My speculation is faulty memory, but I am notoriously boring.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Brother Mythos

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 05, 2017, 07:29:51 PM
It could be in that the effect is in having a vastly different memory from what reality currently presents to most. I would have to consult with my dad who is a serious world war II buff to know the context, but let me ask you this without googling: What color were Hitler's eyes?

The vast majority of the pictures I've seen of him were in black and white. But, my guess, without googling, is brown.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Hoopla on July 05, 2017, 10:47:21 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 05, 2017, 10:41:45 PM

My speculation is faulty memory, but I am notoriously boring.

My baseless assertion is that you must be native to this universe.

Betcha I'm right.  :p

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Brother Mythos on July 05, 2017, 11:46:22 PM

The vast majority of the pictures I've seen of him were in black and white. But, my guess, without googling, is brown.

That was my known fact, brown. But nope. Blue as the sky. Google him and look for a color pic. Or.. don't.

I remember darker eyes,
now they appear otherwise.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

tyrannosaurus vex

I remember quips about Hitler's "Master Race" being a bunch of hogwash because even his own eyes were brown. But... I assume it's just a large number of people getting the wrong idea from black and white photos.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Brother Mythos

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 06, 2017, 05:07:28 AM
Quote from: Brother Mythos on July 05, 2017, 11:46:22 PM

That was my known fact, brown. But nope. Blue as the sky. Google him and look for a color pic. Or.. don't.

I remember darker eyes,
now they appear otherwise.

I played the game fairly. I didn't google for color photos of him before I posted my reply. And, I didn't want to deprive you of an "I told you so" moment, in the event I guessed wrong.

However, in my case, I don't believe this counts as a Mandela Effect moment, as I never knew, thought I knew, discussed, cared about, or ever even thought about Hitler's eye color before reading and answering your post. Similarly, if I didn't know one of Frank Sinatra's nicknames was Ol' Blue Eyes, I would have guessed he had brown eyes too, if asked. The bottom line being that not knowing the nickname, I would not have known for certain, or really cared. (I doubt Frank ever gave a damn about my eye color either.)