News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

ITT Mandela Effect fuckery biblical or otherwise

Started by The Wizard Joseph, July 02, 2017, 04:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 09, 2019, 12:26:37 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 08, 2019, 03:43:46 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 08, 2019, 09:36:44 AM
Just a note on a more recently noticed Mandela effect.

Ed McMahon never worked for Publishers Clearing House. I had to do some research on this one cuz I just couldn't believe it, but it's true. I have distinctive and very clear memories of the old commercials featuring him and Publishers Clearing House. There are more recent Mandela effects but this one was the most noteworthy and to my mind least able to be construed as a simple slip of the memory. LOTS of people remember him as an icon of the 80s and 90s.

And I find more really weird ones I'll post them here, but this one was so visceral it actually gave me a bit of a headache. It's worse than Hitler's blue eyes.

At least that one makes sense. There was a competing company that nobody remembers the name of, and none of us were emotionally invested enough in the magazine subscription wars to notice the ads weren't for the same company.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/larissafaw/2012/11/21/the-curious-case-of-ed-mcmahon-and-the-publishers-clearing-house/#5d47d9d21b70

The company that he did work for was called American Family publishers. But he never left the studio to Ambush families with giant checks.

Thing is I have very clear memories of him doing exactly that. The memories are quite anomalous when compared to the current evidence before my senses. When I was a child I remember asking my dad if something like that could happen to us. I remember him explaining to me that you had to buy magazines for there to be a chance of it happening.

I will not abandon the solidity of these memories for some ethereal notion that they didn't happen and that I must have made them up. As far as I'm personally concerned the world changed. Why I don't know. How I don't know. I only know that there is discontinuity from a great many things collectively known as the Mandela effect, and that I'm not the only one experiencing this By far.

As do I.  I feel as the current narrative is the incorrect one.
Molon Lube

tyrannosaurus vex

I reject out of hand the notion that weird shit doesn't happen. Not necessarily because it does in some objective sense actually happen, but because everything is a lie anyway so who cares if you decide to live in the more interesting version of reality? I know for a fact that Ed McMahon did actually present big ridiculous sweepstakes checks to people, because I remember that and I remember always imagining him coming to my house in that stupid PCH van. Just because "that never happened" doesn't mean it didn't happen. The past is nothing but the way people remember it.

You could say that kind of logic is dangerous because of things like Holocaust denialism, and you'd be right, but that only gives people that much more incentive to consciously and intentionally keep certain memories alive and participate in the collective and ongoing definition of history. The Holocaust definitely did happen, but if we allow enough people to forget or misinterpret it then there is no functional value to that fact and it will be just as if it really didn't happen anyway.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on July 09, 2019, 02:48:56 AM
I reject out of hand the notion that weird shit doesn't happen. Not necessarily because it does in some objective sense actually happen, but because everything is a lie anyway so who cares if you decide to live in the more interesting version of reality? I know for a fact that Ed McMahon did actually present big ridiculous sweepstakes checks to people, because I remember that and I remember always imagining him coming to my house in that stupid PCH van. Just because "that never happened" doesn't mean it didn't happen. The past is nothing but the way people remember it.

You could say that kind of logic is dangerous because of things like Holocaust denialism, and you'd be right, but that only gives people that much more incentive to consciously and intentionally keep certain memories alive and participate in the collective and ongoing definition of history. The Holocaust definitely did happen, but if we allow enough people to forget or misinterpret it then there is no functional value to that fact and it will be just as if it really didn't happen anyway.

I don't believe anything anyone has said since Lemmy died.

I feel as if I am on solid ground on this one.  Everything has been cock & repost ever since.
Molon Lube

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 09, 2019, 02:53:45 AM

I feel as if I am on solid ground on this one.  Everything has been cock & repost ever since.

You're on solid ground except the expiration date was when Bowie died.

Brother Mythos

Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on July 09, 2019, 02:58:50 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 09, 2019, 02:53:45 AM

You're on solid ground except the expiration date was when Bowie died.

You act like they weren't the same person or something.

At least we still have Justin Timberlake.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Brother Mythos on July 09, 2019, 03:09:24 AM
Buddy Holly. A guy wrote a song about it.

Buddy Holly was okay, but he wasn't in the same league as the holy trinity of Lemmy, Bowie, and Freddie.
Molon Lube

Brother Mythos

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 09, 2019, 03:29:51 AM
Quote from: Brother Mythos on July 09, 2019, 03:09:24 AM
Buddy Holly. A guy wrote a song about it.

Buddy Holly was okay, but he wasn't in the same league as the holy trinity of Lemmy, Bowie, and Freddie.

Buddy Holly was just okay?! Blasphemy! Blasphemy I say!

tyrannosaurus vex

Buddy Holly was the musical equivalent of store brand diapers.

The Wizard Joseph

https://www.nme.com/blogs/music-mandela-effects-question-everything-2460038

Since the thread is apparently now taking a musical turn I'll just leave this here. I'm not much of a musical aficionado, but I distinctly at least remember the one from Queen. We Are the Champions now ends just a bit early.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Brother Mythos

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on July 09, 2019, 04:11:53 AM

Nobel laureate Bob Dylan is A Living God. And, I'm here today to testify that I have witnessed, with mine own eyes, the worshipers gathered in reverent silence on The Holy Ground where Jim Morrison is buried, his discarded body thus further sanctifying that already sacred place.

But, to denigrate the memory of Buddy Holly is not only blasphemy, it is heresy!

May The True Gods of Rock 'N' Rollâ„¢, both living and ascended, curse you to listen to The Bay City Rollers, Gary Puckett & the Union Gap, and Tommy James and the Shondells for the rest of your natural life! 

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 09, 2019, 12:52:20 AM

Ed McMahon never worked for Publishers Clearing House. I had to do some research on this one cuz I just couldn't believe it, but it's true. I have distinctive and very clear memories of the old commercials featuring him and Publishers Clearing House. There are more recent Mandela effects but this one was the most noteworthy and to my mind least able to be construed as a simple slip of the memory. LOTS of people remember him as an icon of the 80s and 90s.

And I find more really weird ones I'll post them here, but this one was so visceral it actually gave me a bit of a headache. It's worse than Hitler's blue eyes.

At least that one makes sense. There was a competing company that nobody remembers the name of, and none of us were emotionally invested enough in the magazine subscription wars to notice the ads weren't for the same company.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/larissafaw/2012/11/21/the-curious-case-of-ed-mcmahon-and-the-publishers-clearing-house/#5d47d9d21b70

The company that he did work for was called American Family publishers. But he never left the studio to Ambush families with giant checks.

Thing is I have very clear memories of him doing exactly that. The memories are quite anomalous when compared to the current evidence before my senses. When I was a child I remember asking my dad if something like that could happen to us. I remember him explaining to me that you had to buy magazines for there to be a chance of it happening.

I will not abandon the solidity of these memories for some ethereal notion that they didn't happen and that I must have made them up. As far as I'm personally concerned the world changed. Why I don't know. How I don't know. I only know that there is discontinuity from a great many things collectively known as the Mandela effect, and that I'm not the only one experiencing this By far.

And it's retroactive back in time quite a ways considering the biblical ones go back to at least the translation of the King James version of the Bible. I really wish I could read Isaiah in the original Hebrew just to confirm some things.. 
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

And THAT, you ingrates, is why we call Vex The Chairman of the Board.

:lol:
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 09, 2019, 04:26:00 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 09, 2019, 12:52:20 AM

And it's retroactive back in time quite a ways considering the biblical ones go back to at least the translation of the King James version of the Bible. I really wish I could read Isaiah in the original Hebrew just to confirm some things..

Pretty sure that's a bad idea.  We spent 2000 years sanitizing bronze age horror stories, and you want to read them?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Brother Mythos on July 09, 2019, 04:25:35 AM

Nobel laureate Bob Dylan is A Living God. And, I'm here today to testify that I have witnessed, with mine own eyes, the worshipers gathered in reverent silence on The Holy Ground where Jim Morrison is buried, his discarded body thus further sanctifying that already sacred place.

But, to denigrate the memory of Buddy Holly is not only blasphemy, it is heresy!

May The True Gods of Rock 'N' Rollâ„¢, both living and ascended, curse you to listen to The Bay City Rollers, Gary Puckett & the Union Gap, and Tommy James and the Shondells for the rest of your natural life!

Wait.  What's wrong with the Bay City Rollers?

They're all about Saturday Night.
Molon Lube