News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

ITT Mandela Effect fuckery biblical or otherwise

Started by The Wizard Joseph, July 02, 2017, 04:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

This thread is a dumping ground for the so called "Mandela effect". It was sparked during a conversation over in this thread here. It primarily exists as a reference to avoid derailing the thread above. If folks want to add to it go right ahead. I'm going to merely report what folks have been attributing to the effect. If others want to be more whimsical I sure wouldn't mind. This shit is heavy enough and I could use a laugh.

QuoteIsaiah 11:6-8

6The wolf will live with the lamb,
the leopard will lie down with the goat,
the calf and the lion and the yearlinga together;
and a little child will lead them.

7 The cow will feed with the bear,
their young will lie down together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox.

8 The infant will play near the cobra's den,
and the young child will put its hand into the viper's nest.

This is the infamous "lion and lamb" quote that appears to now involve a lamb and wolf. If you never read the passage you'd never know the difference in that it's crazy talk about peaceful animals, but this is in reference to the world peace of the messiah's kingdom to come and the animals represent political and spiritual entities. There was never a wolf with the lamb to my recollection and it was the wolf eating grass, not the lion.

QuoteMatthew 6:9-13 (Lord's Prayer)

9"This, then, is how you should pray:
" 'Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,

10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.

11 Give us today our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.

Luke 11: 2-4

2And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.

3Give us day by day our daily bread.

4And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

Here we have the Lord's prayer in both versions. It's notable that it now says debt instead of tresspass and "evil one" where most would remember just saying "evil".

There's no affirmation "for Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen." It totally doesn't exist. :fnord:

Quote2 Corinthians 11:8

8 I robbed other churches, taking wages of them, to do you(the church of Corinth) service. 

If I recall correctly Paul never referred to himself as a thief or confessed theft in his epistles. Of course the whole "Mandela" thing is about whether or not folks are in fact recalling shit correctly.

Matthew 21:1-3

1 And when they drew nigh unto Jerusalem, and were come to Bethphage, unto the mount of Olives, then sent Jesus two disciples, 

2Saying unto them, Go into the village over against you, and straightway ye shall find an ass tied, and a colt with her: loose them, and bring them unto me. 

3And if any man say ought unto you, ye shall say, The Lord hath need of them; and straightway he will send them. 

Here we have a narrative discrepancy in that there was "originally" only one ass and no colt in the palm Sunday story, yet there it is. Two asses for the price of one.

Luke 19:27

27But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

The way this read was "shew (show) them before me". Jesus never called for murder and was quite the ardent pacifist to the death. This is just a sampling of the weirdness in the bible lately... but of course these passages were always this way surely...

That's it for now. These five barely scratch the surface of what folks are reporting in vast numbers as discrepancies in scripture. It's only going to get weirder from here on out and I suspect that a major schism is likely to happen over this shit. Folks do get touchy about their "holy" books after all.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Fallenkezef

They have been doing this since the council of Nicaea in 325. To a greater or lesser extent.

It really annoys the fundies when you argue that their "word of god" is a party political broadcast. Take those Jehovah's Witness nutters, the original text was along the lines of not CONSUMING blood.

Need to find the citation, but I remember reading that there was an uproar over the King James text when it first came out, the papists clicked that the text had been changed to a subtle support for king over church.
Engage the enemy more closely

tyrannosaurus vex

I may be wrong but I think the Lord's Prayer example results from differences between the KJV translation and the traditional Catholic recital, which is heard more often in popular culture.

The rest of it is definitely due to time travelers or the Large Hadron Collider, though.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on July 02, 2017, 09:15:04 AM
I may be wrong but I think the Lord's Prayer example results from differences between the KJV translation and the traditional Catholic recital, which is heard more often in popular culture.

The rest of it is definitely due to time travelers or the Large Hadron Collider, though.

You're correct. Catholics end it at "but deliver us from evil".
During Mass, the priest then continues, "Deliver us, Lord, from every evil, and grant us peace in our day. In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our Saviour, Jesus Christ." They changed the wording of the translation in 2011, but that's not how I was brought up so, obviously that's all wrong
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

I have a Mandela effect thing, that I'm not sure anyone else had. I could have sworn that someone different played Winston Zeddemore in Ghostbusters II, because Ernie Hudson passed on reprising the role. It would have been reasonable to do so, because as I would find out later, he wasn't very happy with how downplayed his character was in the first movie and how it didn't really help his career that much as was promised. However, Hudson definitely played Zeddemore twice.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

tyrannosaurus vex

I remember Winston having a much larger role in Ghostbusters than he actually does in either movie, but I think it's because I watched the cartoon version a lot as a kid. But I never paid that much attention to the behind the scenes stuff.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on July 02, 2017, 09:15:04 AM

Yeah I thought it might be from reconciliation of the two on "deliver us from evil". The use of the word "debts" in both is news to me and the bigger mystery. "Tresspass" has a rather different meaning and that's how I was taught it for sure.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Fallenkezef on July 02, 2017, 09:06:27 AM
They have been doing this since the council of Nicaea in 325. To a greater or lesser extent.

It really annoys the fundies when you argue that their "word of god" is a party political broadcast. Take those Jehovah's Witness nutters, the original text was along the lines of not CONSUMING blood.

Need to find the citation, but I remember reading that there was an uproar over the King James text when it first came out, the papists clicked that the text had been changed to a subtle support for king over church.

The Watchtower Society are some crazy fuckers. I'd like to see if there's any buzz from them on this, but don't care to dig into their shit to find out.

As for the KJV drawing criticism... not surprising. I always thought that raising one particular translation to the status of "Infallible Word Of God" was pretty much idolatry. But folks disagreed with fire back then.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Fallenkezef

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 02, 2017, 05:06:58 PM
Quote from: Fallenkezef on July 02, 2017, 09:06:27 AM

Classic con job. The common folk eat it up, thinking they where being empowered when it was just the king trying to wrestle control from the church by attacking thier power base. Catholics clicked on it first, took the protestants longer to fugure out the con.

The Watchtower Society are some crazy fuckers. I'd like to see if there's any buzz from them on this, but don't care to dig into their shit to find out.

As for the KJV drawing criticism... not surprising. I always thought that raising one particular translation to the status of "Infallible Word Of God" was pretty much idolatry. But folks disagreed with fire back then.

Fallenkezef

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 02, 2017, 01:08:59 PM
I have a Mandela effect thing, that I'm not sure anyone else had. I could have sworn that someone different played Winston Zeddemore in Ghostbusters II, because Ernie Hudson passed on reprising the role. It would have been reasonable to do so, because as I would find out later, he wasn't very happy with how downplayed his character was in the first movie and how it didn't really help his career that much as was promised. However, Hudson definitely played Zeddemore twice.

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on July 02, 2017, 04:35:45 PM
I remember Winston having a much larger role in Ghostbusters than he actually does in either movie, but I think it's because I watched the cartoon version a lot as a kid. But I never paid that much attention to the behind the scenes stuff.

Now I want to watch the Ghostbusters again just to see.

There are a LOT of movie and media Mandelas. They even say folks remember movies that never existed like "Shazam!", a movie about a genie named  Shazam that had Sinbad cast as the genie. Never happened, but I personally remember the movie clear as day from when I worked in a video rental place around 16 years ago.

There's also a LOT of Star Wars ones. C3po's silver leg is one. Another is the infamous quote "Luke, I am your father" is now "No. I am your father". There's even footage of James Earl Jones repeating the line with "Luke" in it on a daytime talk show. You'd think he would know.

There's a James Bond one where Jaws meets a woman who smiles at him and they just click for no reason. I never saw the "original" but folks swear she used to have a mouth full of braces and the metal teeth thing was their motivation in the scene.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

tyrannosaurus vex

Are there any even remotely plausible explanations for the phenomenon that veer into Weird territory? I've heard the LHC one, and time travel, but really the LHC thing is silly because the effects of those experiments are scientifically unsurprising even when they produce new information. I mean it isn't like they've discovered gigantic holes in the standard or relativistic models or there's some kind of "might puncture the spacetime continuum" warning from anyone other than nutters on Reddit.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on July 02, 2017, 05:24:39 PM
Are there any even remotely plausible explanations for the phenomenon that veer into Weird territory? I've heard the LHC one, and time travel, but really the LHC thing is silly because the effects of those experiments are scientifically unsurprising even when they produce new information. I mean it isn't like they've discovered gigantic holes in the standard or relativistic models or there's some kind of "might puncture the spacetime continuum" warning from anyone other than nutters on Reddit.

The LHC one is sort of an outgrowth of an even more bizarre theory that CERN is actually a gateway to hell built with that intent... ya know, like scientists do.  :roll:

They can't all be Parsons.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

tyrannosaurus vex

I don't know if this qualifies (probably not), but I remember as a kid in the late 80s/early 90s playing these "choose your own adventure" games via telephone hotlines. I was curious one day and decided to look them up online, but they're not mentioned anywhere I can find them (or my google-fu is poor) except on one forum post somewhere with no replies. Maybe the Time Lords cancelled their existence.