Licenced Jenkem provider since 2007

Main Menu

ITT Mandela Effect fuckery biblical or otherwise

Started by The Wizard Joseph, July 02, 2017, 04:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Mythos

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 05, 2017, 07:41:35 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iU83R7rpXQY
The above is a link to a high quality version of the "Zapruder film" of JFK's assassination. Notice anything different? I remember a different angle and a 4 seater sedan not 6. The final headshot looks different to me as well.
There's a lot of material covering this ME on youtube. I remember when the big going theory was the driver shot him from several frames that might be construed as him turning back towards Kennedy with a "gun" that was too blurry to be sure of, but bare moments before the final shot. None of these frames exist anymore and the going theory, for a long time now apparently, is that JACKIE might have shot him.

Tell me I'm crazy. This freaked me out more than even C-3po's silver leg.

The only thing I noticed new is the bouquet of flowers flying though the air. I don't remember seeing that before.

I do/did know the car was equipped with two "jump seats," but I'm not really sure when I learned of it. I do know that contemporary media descriptions and reenactments of the assassination always placed John Connally as sitting in the front seat of the car, not on a fold-down jump seat in the back. But remember, this was in the days before the internet, and cheap and plentiful high-quality cameras. And, I doubt the press had access to the car for some time after the assassination.   

I never noticed C-3PO's silver leg, but that doesn't really freak me out. When watching my favorite movies a second, third, etc. time, I almost always see things I didn't notice the first time around.

I do, however, clearly remember Obi-Wan Kenobi cutting an "insect-villain" in half with his light saber in the bar scene of the original movie. I believe that scene was cut from the movie within a month, or two, of the film's opening.
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Aren't there like 3 or 4 different cuts of A New Hope though?
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 06, 2017, 05:07:28 AM
Quote from: Brother Mythos on July 05, 2017, 11:46:22 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 05, 2017, 07:29:51 PM
It could be in that the effect is in having a vastly different memory from what reality currently presents to most. I would have to consult with my dad who is a serious world war II buff to know the context, but let me ask you this without googling: What color were Hitler's eyes?

The vast majority of the pictures I've seen of him were in black and white. But, my guess, without googling, is brown.

That was my known fact, brown. But nope. Blue as the sky. Google him and look for a color pic. Or.. don't.

I remember darker eyes,
now they appear otherwise.

This is explainable by conflation with the irony that his hair wasn't blond, blond hair and blue eyes being 2 of the nazis' standards for aryan beauty and perfection.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Cramulus

Just for posterity
The Mandela Effect is just false memories + the sleeper effect.

The mechanism is that when you imagine something that happened in the past, at first, your brain can easily tell the difference between the real memory and the imagined scenario. But that imagined scenario gets stored much like a real memory does.

Over time, the "metadata" decays--it becomes harder to distinguish the real memory from the imagined one. The weaker a memory, the more vulnerable you are to being misled by false memories.

Do you remember how it rained during your prom?

imagine that

imagine it really hard, visualize it, tell me some details about it

10 years from now, you won't be so sure it didn't rain.

hooplala

Quote from: Cramulus on July 06, 2017, 07:50:11 PM
Just for posterity
The Mandela Effect is just false memories + the sleeper effect.

The mechanism is that when you imagine something that happened in the past, at first, your brain can easily tell the difference between the real memory and the imagined scenario. But that imagined scenario gets stored much like a real memory does.

Over time, the "metadata" decays--it becomes harder to distinguish the real memory from the imagined one. The weaker a memory, the more vulnerable you are to being misled by false memories.

Do you remember how it rained during your prom?

imagine that

imagine it really hard, visualize it, tell me some details about it

10 years from now, you won't be so sure it didn't rain.

I'm now imagining it raining during my prom... I didn't even go to prom.  :eek:
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Brother Mythos

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on July 06, 2017, 03:47:23 PM
Aren't there like 3 or 4 different cuts of A New Hope though?

I don't really know.

I do know I saw the "insect-villain" scene in the original movie, in a theater, shortly after the movie was released under its original name. That would have been sometime in late spring/early summer of 1977.

I, and my sci-fi loving friends, were totally blown away by Star Wars. I never went to a theater to watch the same movie a second time, but for that one I made an exception. Again, I remember seeing the "insect-villain" scene. However, when Star Wars finally made it to TV, the "insect-villain" scene was gone, and I haven't seen it on the tube since.

I don't remember the time gaps between the original theater release, the TV premier, and the VCR release. (DVD's didn't exist yet.) And, I don't remember different versions being available for VCR, as is common today with movies on DVD.

I never threw away our old VCR player, and I may have an old VCR tape of Star Wars lying around in a box somewhere. Someday, if I get really, really bored, I might just dig that stuff out. If I have the VCR version, I might just hook up the old VCR player, and see if the "insect-villain" scene is on it. I don't clearly remember whether the scene in question was on VCR release version, or if it had been cut.

Q. G. Pennyworth

I was a giant star wars dork from the time I was old enough to have opinions, and while I did go to Jedi in the theaters, it's on a technicality, because I was still in my mom.

I have no memory of any "insect-villain" scene in any version I saw (original VHS release, TV release, remastered VHS, or Special Edition), or any mention of it in the volumes of trivia I consumed. I am going to spend some time googling now because you've got me curious, but in the spirit of the thread I wanted to state my recollection and bona fides for the record before fact checking myself.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I remember Obi-Wan cutting someone in half in the cantina but the only bug-like character I remember from ep.4 is Greedo, who appears later in the Cantina scene and is shot by Han Solo

Brother Mythos

The deleted scene in the cantina featured an insectoid that was different from the praying mantis creature, and the more humaniod one (If that was an insectoid.) that Han Solo shot. The deleted creature resembled a tall, upright-walking cockroach more than anything else. I think it was brownish-green (I'm not 100 % sure of this.) in color, and spoke with a buzzing sound like an insect.

After confronting Obi Wan and Luke, Obi Wan warned the insectoid off, and, of course, it didn't back down. Then, Obi Wan quickly cut it in half with his light saber, from top to bottom. The camera focused on a full frontal of the insectoid being split into two halves, with the two smoldering halves falling away on either side of the centerline where the creature had originally stood. It was quite graphic and memorable.

I did a Google search after my previous post, but I can't find any reference to the scene I have just described.

hooplala

Quote from: Brother Mythos on July 07, 2017, 06:05:55 AM
The deleted scene in the cantina featured an insectoid that was different from the praying mantis creature, and the more humaniod one (If that was an insectoid.) that Han Solo shot. The deleted creature resembled a tall, upright-walking cockroach more than anything else. I think it was brownish-green (I'm not 100 % sure of this.) in color, and spoke with a buzzing sound like an insect.

After confronting Obi Wan and Luke, Obi Wan warned the insectoid off, and, of course, it didn't back down. Then, Obi Wan quickly cut it in half with his light saber, from top to bottom. The camera focused on a full frontal of the insectoid being split into two halves, with the two smoldering halves falling away on either side of the centerline where the creature had originally stood. It was quite graphic and memorable.

I did a Google search after my previous post, but I can't find any reference to the scene I have just described.

I have zero memory of such a scene, or ever hearing of such a scene being cut. We should ask Suu.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Brother Mythos

Quote from: Hoopla on July 07, 2017, 01:42:03 PM
Quote from: Brother Mythos on July 07, 2017, 06:05:55 AM

I have zero memory of such a scene, or ever hearing of such a scene being cut. We should ask Suu.

I admit, I must now question the validity of my memory. Given the staggering number of Star Wars fanatics who have documented every minutia there is to be found concerning the franchise, it's more than odd that I seem to be the only one that remembers that scene.

Still, I can't think of any good reason why I would retain this kind of old, false memory. I don't remember any other movie, TV show, etc. that ever utilized the light saber prop other than the Star Wars franchise. So, I believe it's unlikely I'm confusing a scene from another movie, etc. with the scene only I seem to remember in Star Wars.

And, as far as simply "dreaming it up" goes, I very rarely have violent dreams. But, when I do have a violent dream, I clearly remember it, and can almost always relate it to some real, previous stressful situation in my life. And, most important, I am never simply a passive observer of someone else's fight in one of my rare violent dreams.

So ...

Q. G. Pennyworth

Okay! I can solve this one!

Here's a link to the original script: http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Star-Wars-A-New-Hope.html
QuoteA large, multiple-eyed Creature gives Luke a rough shove.

CREATURE
                         Negola dewaghi wooldugger?!?

The hideous freak is obviously drunk. Luke tries to ignore
               the creature and turns back on his drink. A short, grubby
               Human and an even smaller rodent-like beast join the
               belligerent monstrosity.

HUMAN
                         He doesn't like you.

LUKE
                         I'm sorry.

HUMAN
                         I don't like you either.

The big creature is getting agitated and yells out some
               unintelligible gibberish at the now rather nervous, young
               adventurer.

HUMAN
                         Don't insult us. You just watch
                         yourself. We're wanted men. I have
                         the death sentence in twelve systems.

LUKE
                         I'll be careful than.

HUMAN
                         You'll be dead.

The rodent lets out a loud grunt and everything at the bar
               moves away. Luke tries to remain cool but it isn't easy. His
               three adversaries ready their weapons. Old Ben moves in behind
               Luke.

BEN
                         This little one isn't worth the
                         effort. Come let me buy you
                         something...

A powerful blow from the unpleasant creature sends the young
               would-be Jedi sailing across the room, crashing through tables
               and breaking a large jug filled with a foul-looking liquid.
               With a blood curdling shriek, the monster draws a wicked
               chrome laser pistol from his belt and levels it at old Ben.
               The bartender panics.

BARTENDER
                         No blasters! No blaster!

With astounding agility old Ben's laser sword sparks to life
               and in a flash an arm lies on the floor. The rodent is cut
               in two and the giant multiple-eyed creature lies doubled,
               cut from chin to groin.
Ben carefully and precisely turns
               off his laser sword and replaces it on his utility belt.
               Luke, shaking and totally amazed at the old man's abilities,
               attempts to stand. The entire fight has lasted only a matter
               of seconds. The cantina goes back to normal, although Ben is
               given a respectable amount of room at the bar. Luke, rubbing
               his bruised head, approaches the old man with new awe. Ben
               points the the Wookiee.

The smaller critter was not in the scene as filmed, as evidenced by everyone else's memory but also this wookiepedia page http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cornelius_Evazan
QuoteEvazan wasn't named and was described as a "short, grubby-looking human" with a surprisingly deep voice. In his scene, he was accompanied by a many-eyed and a rodent-like alien—early incarnations of Ponda Baba and Kabe respectively—and when they picked a fight with Luke Skywalker, Baba tossed Skywalker aside, and Obi-Wan Kenobi sliced off Evazan's arm and cut Kabe and Baba in half, with Evazan retreating into the crowd without a word following the fight,[22] nearly identical to how the event played out in several revised fourth drafts of A New Hope.[23] In the final version of the film, however, Kabe didn't partake in the altercation, Baba only lost his arm, and it was instead Evazan who flung aside Skywalker and got slashed across the chest by Kenobi.[3] Upon closer examination of the sequence, however,[24] Evazan can be seen talking to Kabe before the scuffle,[3] indicating that the idea of them being allies may have lasted up to shooting.[24]

It's possible you read the script at some point and visualized the fight more or less as described and then conflated that with the real memory of the movie. I find it unlikely that you're correctly remembering an early cut that was revised before broader release, largely because this is what Kabe looks like: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kabe

Nephew Twiddleton

Might also be thinking of this guy, whose mouth butt is somewhat reminiscent of a spider's fangs

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ponda_Baba
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Brother Mythos

Thank you for all of the effort you have put into researching this scene. I now feel much better, as I am reassured that the scene was actually filmed, and was briefly shown during the movie's first theater run. I do find is odd that the scene isn't showing up on YouTube, like a lot of other deleted scenes, but again, I am now reassured that it was actually filmed, and was very quickly edited out of the movie. I suspect Lucas decided, on his own, that the scene was to violent for the children that were flocking to see the movie, as it would have already passed motion picture industry rating standards for it have been there in the first place.

Your guess concerning a possible source for my memory is reasonable. But, I have never read any Star Wars franchise scripts, and this is a memory that goes back forty years to 1977. And, there was no Internet back in 1977, and I doubt the original script was available to the general public in any format back in those days.

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 08, 2017, 01:01:38 PM

With astounding agility old Ben's laser sword sparks to life
               and in a flash an arm lies on the floor. The rodent is cut
               in two and the giant multiple-eyed creature lies doubled,
               cut from chin to groin.
Ben carefully and precisely turns
               off his laser sword and replaces it on his utility belt.

The above quote is significant. I don't remember the rodent creature being cut it two. But, I do clearly remember the "giant multiple-eyed creature."

This really did happen.

Brother Mythos

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 08, 2017, 01:56:01 PM
Might also be thinking of this guy, whose mouth butt is somewhat reminiscent of a spider's fangs

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ponda_Baba

Thank you for researching this, but that is not the creature I remember. And, the scene description on the wikia page does not match my memory of want happened.

As per my above post, I'm now reassured that the cantina scene did happen, pretty much, as I remember it.