News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

So, I've been solicited to write an article for a relatively well known national security/military website (it's not War On The Rocks, as awesome as that would be).  It's a little odd, but quite flattering, because the website in question usually puts out requests for articles and then presumably picks from the pieces they are sent, and they usually publish pieces from current and former military and intelligence officials, and I'm not either of those barring my two weeks blowing up things for the Royal Engineering Corps.

Only problem is, I have absolutely no clue what to write.  They've not given me a timetable, and I am travelling for the next 2 weeks anyway, but it's mildly frustrating.

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: Cain on July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM
So, I've been solicited to write an article for a relatively well known national security/military website (it's not War On The Rocks, as awesome as that would be).  It's a little odd, but quite flattering, because the website in question usually puts out requests for articles and then presumably picks from the pieces they are sent, and they usually publish pieces from current and former military and intelligence officials, and I'm not either of those barring my two weeks blowing up things for the Royal Engineering Corps.

Only problem is, I have absolutely no clue what to write.  They've not given me a timetable, and I am travelling for the next 2 weeks anyway, but it's mildly frustrating.

They don't give you a brief or anything? Just "We'd like an article."?
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Cain

Yes, they went out of their way to say that my article didn't have to be one of their solicited pieces, just noting my research and previous writing would likely be a good fit for the topics they cover.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Trivial on July 12, 2017, 02:33:17 AM
Goddamnit I want beer, I want sushi, I want a fucking melty chocolate chip cookie, and lemon meringue pie.  :argh!:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTkCHE1sS4
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on July 12, 2017, 01:15:14 PM
Yes, they went out of their way to say that my article didn't have to be one of their solicited pieces, just noting my research and previous writing would likely be a good fit for the topics they cover.

What do you feel a passion or see a necessity for as a topic? They're giving you executive authority and no instructions, go with it. If you want to you could probably even try to hook them with a potential mini series if the topic is expansive enough. They may be testing you on what you would call meaningful. So show them.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Trivial

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 12, 2017, 01:16:55 PM
Quote from: Trivial on July 12, 2017, 02:33:17 AM
Goddamnit I want beer, I want sushi, I want a fucking melty chocolate chip cookie, and lemon meringue pie.  :argh!:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTkCHE1sS4

:lulz:

But NOW!!!

got like 7 weeks to go, so I'll live.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Chelagoras The Boulder

"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Cain

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 12, 2017, 01:22:54 PM
Quote from: Cain on July 12, 2017, 01:15:14 PM

What do you feel a passion or see a necessity for as a topic? They're giving you executive authority and no instructions, go with it. If you want to you could probably even try to hook them with a potential mini series if the topic is expansive enough. They may be testing you on what you would call meaningful. So show them.

Well, the only restriction is the writing guidelines - everything either has to be an assessment, or weighing options.  Which is fine, I like writing guides because they've done half the work for me.

It's a matter of picking a topic, which is where I always struggle.

LMNO

I suggest going in a direction counter to the media feeding frenzy (Trump/Russia/DPRK/et al), and writing about a much overlooked situation crucial to current events that will have a greater impact in the long run.

I have no idea what that would be, which is why I'm not you.

Trivial

Is Tucson drowning yet?  Because that's what I got from the call I just had.

Freeky

They up north or further west? I'm hearing some wind pick up but no rain yet.

I'm east of the base right now.

Trivial

Quote from: Freeky on July 14, 2017, 03:22:30 AM
They up north or further west? I'm hearing some wind pick up but no rain yet.

I'm east of the base right now.

I don't quite know the geography of the area:

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=AZZ504&warncounty=AZC019&firewxzone=AZZ151&local_place1=Tucson%20International%20Airport%20AZ&product1=Special+Weather+Statement&lat=32.12&lon=-110.94

Just having "fun" tech support issues with the tv stations there.