Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on July 28, 2017, 03:34:40 PM
Sorting through my holiday snaps.  Not as many duds as I thought, though I'm probably not going to win any Pulitzers from this stuff.

I assume PD would like to see some?

Yup
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Vanadium Gryllz

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Cain

First batch up in pics.  Going to split them up by location to avoid one super long pic spam.  Also had to size them down quite a bit...

Cain

The Wizard Joseph

I had a meaningful conversation with my landlord about the bedbug problem. As soon as he realized that I and the problem could not be ignored without the state getting involved he hired exterminators and they heat treat the building on Tuesday. He had no idea how bad bedbugs actually are and I politely explained that the situation was only going to get worse and implying that I might file suit without actually saying so.

I'm unbelievably pleased with this outcome. He's still a slum lord but he's at least smart enough and business savvy enough to understand that his whole damn investment in the building was at stake over a $2,500 treatment if he didn't act.

On an even better note the local housing authority has accepted my application and I'm on a waiting list for a high rise apartment so sooner or later I'll be out of here and probably paying less for a much nicer place.

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 29, 2017, 02:12:27 AM
I had a meaningful conversation with my landlord about the bedbug problem. As soon as he realized that I and the problem could not be ignored without the state getting involved he hired exterminators and they heat treat the building on Tuesday. He had no idea how bad bedbugs actually are and I politely explained that the situation was only going to get worse and implying that I might file suit without actually saying so.

I'm unbelievably pleased with this outcome. He's still a slum lord but he's at least smart enough and business savvy enough to understand that his whole damn investment in the building was at stake over a $2,500 treatment if he didn't act.

On an even better note the local housing authority has accepted my application and I'm on a waiting list for a high rise apartment so sooner or later I'll be out of here and probably paying less for a much nicer place.

Awesome, Joe!  Hopefully you don't have to wait long.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Don Coyote

Yet again one my barely-got through HS, wife works a job whose wage is based on the minimum wage, friend is posting "raising the min wage will cause inflation FACT" shit. :kingmeh:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on July 29, 2017, 02:06:31 PM
Yet again one my barely-got through HS, wife works a job whose wage is based on the minimum wage, friend is posting "raising the min wage will cause inflation FACT" shit. :kingmeh:

Has anyone pointed out that, historically-speaking, no raise in the minimum wage has ever caused inflation?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 29, 2017, 04:08:24 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on July 29, 2017, 02:06:31 PM

Has anyone pointed out that, historically-speaking, no raise in the minimum wage has ever caused inflation?

"Well when they raised the wage inflation happened in this city I lived in so my anecdote beats facts"

Don Coyote

In other news, the bullshit card that an argument over lost me a friend is being played by a professional. But I'm the who is bad at evaluating cards and playing the game. :lulz:

LMNO

For what it's worth, I'm very interested in what's going on in Seattle with the min wage increase, from a science perspective. It's a real-world experiment, and I'm trying to be impartial.

Junkenstein

Quote from: LMNO on July 29, 2017, 05:20:30 PM
For what it's worth, I'm very interested in what's going on in Seattle with the min wage increase, from a science perspective. It's a real-world experiment, and I'm trying to be impartial.

The sky won't collapse and purchasing of luxury items such as food will increase.

It's pretty much what happens every time someone tries something like this.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Don Coyote

Quote from: LMNO on July 29, 2017, 05:20:30 PM

I'm not skilled enough to evaluate all the stuff that's been published since 2016 about the results, and I don't live or work in Seattle so I don't know. Things look good, so I'm hopeful that this leads to a further increase in the Tacoma min wage.