News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on September 11, 2018, 12:12:56 AM
Me:  I think the FAT budget is too small.
Project Manager:  (laughs) Are you just saying that because it's been true for every other project we've done?
Me:  Yes.
PM: (reflects)
PM:  I'll leave it like this.
Me:   :|

I know those feels.

Me:  "If fixed the thing, and it cost 20X dollars.  To maintain it will take X dollars per year."

Them:  "It's fixed, so take that ugly X out of the budget."
Molon Lube

Cain

Surely if you could over allocate to any budget, it would be the FAT budget.  The jokes just write themselves.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Cain on September 11, 2018, 02:23:28 AM
Surely if you could over allocate to any budget, it would be the FAT budget.  The jokes just write themselves.
When we skimp on testing, I have a co-worker who says "This isn't a FAT, it's a skinny".  I think I may have found it funny, once.  I laugh anyway.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

LMNO

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on September 11, 2018, 12:12:56 AM
Me:  I think the FAT budget is too small.
Project Manager:  (laughs) Are you just saying that because it's been true for every other project we've done?
Me:  Yes.
PM: (reflects)
PM:  I'll leave it like this.
Me:   :|

TFW the planning fallacy kicks you in the face, repeatedly, and you still don't notice.

Doktor Howl

Annnnnnd my mother has another cancer.  Totally unrelated to the one she just beat.   :|
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Trivial

Things I learned at work.

HUrricane hunter pilot is 83.  We think after he goes it will be drones from that point on. 

A guy wanted all the hurricane paths to show his viewers that Florence wasn't going to hit the US because no hurricane that started in that location since 1851 has hit the US.  All media support folks agreed that he has damned his particular viewing area.

This hurricane is fucking weird.  Got big very fast.  Moving kinda slow.

Someone at work has the ability to write pixels to the radar outputs, initially a way to fix crap data.  But for tests they drew dicks.  And then he learned that can write to all radar products not just our own.  This was years ago, so he's not sure if the exploit is still there.  I have yet to annoy him about some of the more phallic hurricane maps despite them not using radar data at all.

Canadians are very fascinated by this hurricane and very much want to show the forecast we termed the "murder run".

Everyone is using the murder run now anyway, can't be too sure.

While we're trying to keep people's emergency alerts going, some jackass wasted 2 hours of a tech's time trying to get weather alerts to print out on a printer.   Because reasons. Boss told him to tell the guy to fuck himself if he calls tomorrow.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Trivial on September 13, 2018, 05:00:32 AM

That's really bad, I think.  It gets lots of mass that way, right?
Molon Lube

LMNO

Yeah, like what happened in Houston.  Say bye-bye to the Outer Banks.

Trivial

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 13, 2018, 05:44:59 AM
Quote from: Trivial on September 13, 2018, 05:00:32 AM

That's really bad, I think.  It gets lots of mass that way, right?

Yeah, that's what i caught from the meteorologists here. The "murder run" was the ecmwf 12z from a day or two ago.  You get the very windy type of hurricanes and the very wet types (forgive me for sounding like the president) , and this one was both and sat on the coast for 3 days in that run.  The meteorologists were geeking out on this one because it has weird measurements all over. 

It lowered severity overnight which is good.  Temp difference between the water and air usually fuels them at night.  Was watching the radar yesterday and it was heading south of where we (well the mets in office) thought it'd hit and now it's north of that.  It took a squiggly path.

The one of the new runs has it bouncing along the coast hitting multiple cities.  So let's hope it doesn't do that and just shakes itself apart. 

Cain

Fuck cancer twice.

And this hurricane sounds like it could be worse news than normal.  Between the President downplaying the severity of it, while hyping up the abilities of FEMA (whose funds he cut), this could be really bad.

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on September 13, 2018, 03:48:43 PM
Fuck cancer twice.

And this hurricane sounds like it could be worse news than normal.  Between the President downplaying the severity of it, while hyping up the abilities of FEMA (whose funds he cut), this could be really bad.

Oh I don't know... he did admit it was big and wet. What more can we reasonably expect from him?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Trivial