News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

We followed similar trends, though I think our initial 2000s housing bubble may have even pre-dated yours, due to our longstanding policy of "let Saudis and Russians flush with oil money buy houses they never live in and flip them for a profit in 2 years time lol".

Brexit is predicted to crash the London property market though, which is long overdue for a correction anyway.  Those will probably still be out of my price range, but if it has a knock on effect for commuter towns, I might be able to snag a flat in Sussex or similar.  We'll see.  PhD is probably the better long-term investment anyway.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 24, 2018, 11:26:38 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 24, 2018, 08:16:19 PM
Yeah, that I don't spend on rent and food will go towards the PhD fund, which is actually looking pretty healthy.  I may have to buy a house instead if property prices crash post-Brexit.

The American housing market is about to bubble again. Dunno how much that affected prices across the pond last time.

Ireland was a smoking crater for a while.
Molon Lube

Bruno

Yeah, that I don't spend on rent and food will go towards the PhD fund, which is actually looking pretty healthy.  I may have to buy a house instead if property prices crash post-Brexit.

The American housing market is about to bubble again. Dunno how much that affected prices across the pond last time.

Funny story: the area I live in is one of the highest growth areas of the country. If I managed to sell my house (which I bought near the bottom of the last crash) at the peak of a good bubble, I could pretty much undo most of the bad decisions of my youth.

So I've got that going for me, which is nice.
Formerly something else...

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Emo Howard on September 25, 2018, 09:38:10 AM

Funny story: the area I live in is one of the highest growth areas of the country. If I managed to sell my house (which I bought near the bottom of the last crash) at the peak of a good bubble, I could pretty much undo most of the bad decisions of my youth.

Well they're back to bundling crappy mortgages and letting my friends buy houses, so you've probably got like six months if you actually wanna pull off that trick.

Bruno

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 25, 2018, 11:49:33 AM

Well they're back to bundling crappy mortgages and letting my friends buy houses, so you've probably got like six months if you actually wanna pull off that trick.

Dang, so soon? I might clear $60k if I sold my house right now. That's not quite enough to cancel out the heartbreak of ten years of attempted self-employment, or the heartbreak of six years of "Fuck it, I guess I'll just go to college.", or the heartbreak of five years of "I went to college for this?", or the heartbreak of two years of "LOLWTF? Why am I in college, again?!!?!? "

Also, the bonds market is apparently inflated as well, and my pitiful 401k doesn't give me the option to move my assets into Guns n' Beans Futures.

I guess all I can really do at this point is continue to endure the heartbreak of 58hrs/wk until that well dries up. :whack:

Doktor Howl

The ENTIRE market is looking a little scary right now.  The rise in the market can't possibly have enough liquidity to cover it, and the mode wage in the USA is now down to $18,250/year.

In short, the whole thing - the entire economy - is at the stern of the Titanic hooting and hollering about how fast they're rising.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 25, 2018, 11:49:33 AM

It used to take two generations before you could pull the same shitty trick.  It's been 12 years.  :lulz:
Molon Lube

Bruno

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 25, 2018, 07:50:49 PM
The ENTIRE market is looking a little scary right now.  The rise in the market can't possibly have enough liquidity to cover it, and the mode wage in the USA is now down to $18,250/year.

In short, the whole thing - the entire economy - is at the stern of the Titanic hooting and hollering about how fast they're rising.

I think Trump will do everything in his power to delay that until after he is out of office, which will do two things:

1.) it will make it even worse when it does happen, and

2.) it will exhaust what options we do have to soften the impact

The main reason he will do this is so he can tell us afterwards "See, I told you you couldn't live without me", but also because he and his ilk will then be able to buy up assets at a deep discount. They get whole warehouses of gold toilets; we get bread sandwiches (if we're lucky).

Also, both sides of the political spectrum will blame the other, and I'm sure he has a plan to capitalize on that as well.

Doktor Howl

The funny part about this is that there are about 6 major players in American politics, and all of them have different maps for the same territory...And they don't bother looking at anyone else's map.

Government (appointed):  The purpose of money is to use it all up so you get the same budget next year.  The method is to spend every budgeted dime.

Government (elected):  The purpose of money is to get reelected and/or retire to a nation with loose extradition laws.  The method is to take bribes.

Business (non-financial):  The purpose of money is to make more money while spending as little as you can.  The method is shrink & devour, then downsize.  Also give bribes.

Business (financial):  The purpose of money is that it is money, and every digital or paper dollar is a small part of Mammon.  The method is black magic and the sacrifice of insufficiently-motivated traders, usually by defenestration.  Also give bribes.

Business (small):  The purpose of money is I BUILT THE THING.  The method is BUILDING THE THING.  If this is successful, see business (non-financial). If this is unsuccessful, see Lumpen Proletariat.

Lumpen Proletariat:  The purpose of money is to grind you into mincemeat paying for granny's oxygen bottle, little Timmy's insulin, and your beer/meth/whatever.  The method is to work demeaning jobs for peanuts, which leads you back to Government (appointed) for relief in the form of food stamps, etc.  You are also required to hate Government (appointed).

You will note that the media is not mentioned.  That is intentional.  They're not real.
Molon Lube

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 25, 2018, 09:22:10 PM
The funny part about this is that there are about 6 major players in American politics, and all of them have different maps for the same territory...And they don't bother looking at anyone else's map.

Government (appointed):  The purpose of money is to use it all up so you get the same budget next year.  The method is to spend every budgeted dime.

Government (elected):  The purpose of money is to get reelected and/or retire to a nation with loose extradition laws.  The method is to take bribes.

Business (non-financial):  The purpose of money is to make more money while spending as little as you can.  The method is shrink & devour, then downsize.  Also give bribes.

Business (financial):  The purpose of money is that it is money, and every digital or paper dollar is a small part of Mammon.  The method is black magic and the sacrifice of insufficiently-motivated traders, usually by defenestration.  Also give bribes.

Business (small):  The purpose of money is I BUILT THE THING.  The method is BUILDING THE THING.  If this is successful, see business (non-financial). If this is unsuccessful, see Lumpen Proletariat.

Lumpen Proletariat:  The purpose of money grind you to mincemeat paying for granny's oxygen bottle, little Timmy's insulin, and your bee/meth/whatever.  The method is to work demeaning jobs for peanuts, which leads you back to Government (appointed) for relief in the form of food stamps, etc.  You are also required to hate Government (appointed).

You will note that the media is not mentioned.  That is intentional.  They're not real.

I'm not sure if this can be Big Worded or what, but I request it be put in a sharable format, with all credits due.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on September 26, 2018, 12:48:13 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 25, 2018, 09:22:10 PM

Lumpen Proletariat:  The purpose of money grind you to mincemeat paying for granny's oxygen bottle, little Timmy's insulin, and your bee/meth/whatever.  The method is to work demeaning jobs for peanuts, which leads you back to Government (appointed) for relief in the form of food stamps, etc.  You are also required to hate Government (appointed).

I'm not sure if this can be Big Worded or what, but I request it be put in a sharable format, with all credits due.

I plan to expand on this today and tomorrow, but I'm fine with it being Big Worded as is.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Also, edited the original for egregious medicine-inspired grammar and spelling errors.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

So, another day of tests and lying down in the magnetic thingie, and they now know exactly what's wrong.

My entire spine is deteriorating, which is no picnic, but ONE disc, which we will name "Steve" is slipped, smashed, AND herniated.  Prognosis:  With proper core exercise and care, I can maintain a mere low-grade pain forever.  Which, in my family, means say, another 45 years.

Fuck you, Steve, you let us all down.  All the other gaskets did THEIR job, but not you, because you're better than people.  Keep fucking up and I'll have you fused.  See if I don't.
Molon Lube