News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trivial

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 10, 2017, 02:25:43 AM
It just occurred to me that Tucson is probably the most functional city in America today.

O_o
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Trivial on August 10, 2017, 03:43:25 AM
It just occurred to me that Tucson is probably the most functional city in America today.

O_o

It is.  We're growing, so they're expanding all of our roads.  The police hardly ever shoot people.  The ambulance comes when you call.

It's fucking weird.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Trivial

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 10, 2017, 05:23:44 AM

O_o

It is.  We're growing, so they're expanding all of our roads.  The police hardly ever shoot people.  The ambulance comes when you call.

It's fucking weird.

You've doomed the rest of the country. 

POFP

Quote from: Trivial on August 09, 2017, 11:03:21 PM
Quote from: PoFP on August 09, 2017, 10:40:17 PM
Quote from: Trivial on August 09, 2017, 12:38:35 AM
Quote from: Freeky on August 08, 2017, 09:36:07 PM
Fuckin' christ. And I remember now, he sounds VERY ill.  :sad:

So now she's getting stuff in writing, hopefully overseen by a lawyer, to make things like kid visitation contingent on a psych evaluation.  She also told him she may stay if he sees a doc.  He countered it should be marriage counseling.  However they have tried that.  He went along with it during sessions, and then did fuck all after.

Also, semi-related to this bullshit, his mother is a jerk.  I know very few people that give off insta-jerk vibes, but she's one. She also thinks she's helping by going shopping for things for their house to surprise them, and then sending them a bill.  This included a new couch and a new tv.  Also she got shit-faced at a baby shower.  Who does that?  She's also in the medical field, just many wtfs.

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/science-news/2013/five-major-mental-disorders-share-genetic-roots.shtml

Not only am I quite sure that your brother-in-law has Schizophrenia, or some variant, I would venture to guess that the mom has Bipolar symptoms that may not have been addressed. Making large, surprise purchases for people and then sending them the bill during a stressful time implies severely lacking Cognitive Empathy, which is common in Bipolar Disorder and related disorders. And considering the similarities in genetic predispositions to both Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia, it would increase the likelihood of either one having a disorder if the other were to be diagnosed.

Obviously this is just conjecture, but the blunt presentation of your brother-in-law's symptoms coupled with the very bizarre nature of his mother's behavior (Seriously, I've never even heard of someone doing that. Who the fuck does that?) makes it something worth looking into, IMO. Maybe evidence of a pre-existing condition in his mother, and proof of the similar genetic roots could convince him to do something about it? I wouldn't think so, but every argument counts in dire situations like that. Marriage is a pretty big deal.

Very interesting.  I'll bring this up with my sister, though it'll make her a bit worried about the kids and developing something of that nature.

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 10, 2017, 12:29:46 AM
If it helps, even severe mental health disorders like schizophrenia are affected by the environment and childhood development. Genes make you more susceptible, but they're not a guarantee of problems or the severity thereof.

Yeah, I forgot to mention and stress this ^

It just so happens that I've been spending hours and hours of the last week or so going from scientific study paper to scientific study paper trying to isolate the genetic, protein-level cellular causes/factors of Schizophrenia, or at least that which would cause the neural damage that might lead to Schizophrenia and similar diseases. This put me in a mindset that ignored the environmental factors when writing my original response.

I will actually be doing a write-up of my findings and posting it in the Scientism section of this forum, if you or your sister become interested. It'll end up incorporating environmental factors like cannabis use during late adolescence (The Synaptic Pruning stage of neural development.) as well. Just keep in mind that I'm not a medical professional by any stretch of the imagination, but that the write-up should give an overview of the disease that includes details that are usually lacking in Schizophrenia documentation. The essay should be done either today or tomorrow.
This Certified Popeā„¢ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Trivial on August 10, 2017, 06:53:57 AM

O_o

It's fucking weird.

You've doomed the rest of the country.

IKR? 

And due to the steepening tech curve plus our new economy, I can get weird faster than people can pass laws against it.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Don Coyote

O_o

It's fucking weird.

...If it weren't for that whole BURNING SKY ORB thing AZ has

Don Coyote

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on August 11, 2017, 03:59:48 AM
Also, does the board have Nazis again?

Just edgy trolls, I think.

Also, congratulations again, Coyote.  :banana:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on August 11, 2017, 03:58:37 AM

O_o

It's fucking weird.

You can't have it all.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 11, 2017, 04:59:45 AM

O_o

It's fucking weird.

You can't have it all.

To be fair, thanks to fucking CANADA being on fire, it is almost tempted to move down to Tuscon. But I don't think my wife can handle deserts.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 11, 2017, 04:59:26 AM

Thanks

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on August 11, 2017, 05:02:54 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 11, 2017, 04:59:45 AM

O_o

It's fucking weird.

You can't have it all.

To be fair, thanks to fucking CANADA being on fire, it is almost tempted to move down to Tuscon. But I don't think my wife can handle deserts.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 11, 2017, 04:59:26 AM

Thanks

Your wife has an issue with no mosquitoes?

The Wizard Joseph

So perhaps unsurprisingly The State has seen fit to deny my initial disability claim despite actual medical evidence going back to childhood. Now I must hire a lawyer and appeal. The lawyer gets paid a steep cut, but only if they win. Tight little scam they  got going there. In the meantime I must find some sort of part time work that won't burn me out, pays under a grand a month, and doesn't mind flexible scheduling for my various doctor and psych appointments.

On the bright side a heat treatment of the building and a follow up spray have put the bed bug situation to rest. For now anyway I am able to sleep in my own bed in the room that I have rented for so long. Better yet I managed to swap my shitty bed for a relatively more comfortable futon. Other than the despair, impoverishment, frustration, and clinical depression I'm much more comfortable now.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Trivial

Grr annoyed at people's faulty memories.  "I remember when we could leave doors unlocked, we didn't have to worry about x y or z crime."

Yes we did.  We locked the fucking doors. Though I suppose it was your parents worrying and not you.

I just paid attention as a kid I guess.

Bruno

Quote from: Trivial on August 14, 2017, 05:05:34 AM
Grr annoyed at people's faulty memories.  "I remember when we could leave doors unlocked, we didn't have to worry about x y or z crime."

Yes we did.  We locked the fucking doors. Though I suppose it was your parents worrying and not you.

My parents' house was broken into almost immediately after it was build back in the 60s. They religiously locked their doors whenever they left the house, and before going to bed at night my entire childhood, and even to this day. they lived, and still live in rural Tennessee

Today, I also live in rural Tennessee, and NEVER lock my doors. Though when I did live in town, I I locked doors, and it really pissed me off that my roommate refused to lock the door behind him when he left in the morning, and I was still asleep for a few hours after he left, even though I asked him nicely. It wasn't a terrible neighborhood, but it wasn't that great, either.
Formerly something else...

Trivial

Quote from: Emo Howard on August 14, 2017, 05:13:09 AM
Quote from: Trivial on August 14, 2017, 05:05:34 AM

My parents' house was broken into almost immediately after it was build back in the 60s. They religiously locked their doors whenever they left the house, and before going to bed at night my entire childhood, and even to this day. they lived, and still live in rural Tennessee

Today, I also live in rural Tennessee, and NEVER lock my doors. Though when I did live in town, I I locked doors, and it really pissed me off that my roommate refused to lock the door behind him when he left in the morning, and I was still asleep for a few hours after he left, even though I asked him nicely. It wasn't a terrible neighborhood, but it wasn't that great, either.

Wow, I mean, in any area where there's people there's the off chance some drunk will think it's their place and wander in.  Or maybe that's just Wisconsin.