News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trivial

Quote from: Hoopla on July 17, 2017, 02:07:19 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on July 17, 2017, 01:57:52 PM
Quote from: Trivial on July 17, 2017, 06:00:06 AM
Quote from: Emo Howard on July 17, 2017, 05:55:04 AM
The Doctor Who people have just announced that the new Doctor is going to be a woman. "The Fandom" immediately shat itself, and has been rolling around in it all day. Having been a fan since I was like 14, I have never given a single fuck about "The Fandom" until now. This shit show is glorious.

I like how people were complaining about liberals and political correctness when the show had a lesbian dinosaur woman.

I guess they're ok with having "exotic" characters around, but The Smartest Person in the Universe should be a man, dammit.

Also, I think a lot of the women who are upset had a crush on the Doctor, and now that he's a woman, that's just not working for them, which is hilarious.

Two hearts? Totally fine. Vagina? Blasphemy!

People are insane.

Heck we don't really know what sort of parts each Time Lord Gender has.  Last I read either could get pregnant from a tryst which suggests they have both sets, at least pre time war.  Though there's also that they could have none due to looms and whatever happened after time war.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Trivial on July 18, 2017, 02:47:07 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on July 17, 2017, 02:07:19 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on July 17, 2017, 01:57:52 PM
Quote from: Trivial on July 17, 2017, 06:00:06 AM
Quote from: Emo Howard on July 17, 2017, 05:55:04 AM
The Doctor Who people have just announced that the new Doctor is going to be a woman. "The Fandom" immediately shat itself, and has been rolling around in it all day. Having been a fan since I was like 14, I have never given a single fuck about "The Fandom" until now. This shit show is glorious.

I like how people were complaining about liberals and political correctness when the show had a lesbian dinosaur woman.

I guess they're ok with having "exotic" characters around, but The Smartest Person in the Universe should be a man, dammit.

Also, I think a lot of the women who are upset had a crush on the Doctor, and now that he's a woman, that's just not working for them, which is hilarious.

Two hearts? Totally fine. Vagina? Blasphemy!

People are insane.

Heck we don't really know what sort of parts each Time Lord Gender has.  Last I read either could get pregnant from a tryst which suggests they have both sets, at least pre time war.  Though there's also that they could have none due to looms and whatever happened after time war.

They need to make her sidekick a Pakistani dude, just to get the full effect.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 17, 2017, 11:30:29 PM
Quote from: Cain on July 17, 2017, 07:07:36 PM
Important breaking news: Beer in Prague is still cheap and good, food in Prague is still cheap and bad, and Whovians are bitter nerds who obsess over a lacklustre program.

More at 11.

The old Dr Who, back in the 80s, was pure Buldada.  We all loved it because it was AWFUL.

The crime here is not who is The Doctor, but the fact that they have a budget.

True, but that's the problem.  It has a budget, A-list actors, prime time BBC viewing slots etc and its still terrible.  Low budget and terrible is fine, I can appreciate the old Doctor Who for that.

The writing really irks me though.  It's something Steven Moffat does, and I can't really put my finger on it, but there's just something in the way he writes things that sets my teeth on edge.  Sherlock had the same problem.  That fast-talking nonsense and self-awareness can make up for paper thin plots and gaping holes in those plots.  Just stick a monster of the week in and be done with it, geez.  It worked for the X-Files, Supernatural, Buffy etc

Faust

He's condescending, and trying to demonstrate he is smart, at the expense of the characters. He can do excellent once off episode's like blink, or the girl in the fireplace, but any of his long running stories become a mess fast
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Vanadium Gryllz

I feel like what attracts people to the 'fandom' of shows like Sherlock and Dr. Who is exactly that attribute though - watching something where the characters are running around acting all smarter-than-thou rubs off and makes the watcher feel smart by association.

Unfortunately that smartness only applies within the bounds of the fictional world.

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Bruno

It started out as a low budget kids show, and it did that pretty well. It was almost like watching a play. Spray-painted bubble wrap monsters, and cheap camera effects. It took some imagination.

Also, the new show fucking Tinkerbell claps the shit out of every thing. They seriously need to put down the Tinkerbell Clap pipe.
Formerly something else...

Faust

Its not just bulldada, in fact when the budgets sucked it had some of the best written sci-fi stories,
Sure every episode was the same quarry with a different colour filter over the camera lense each week, but that quarry gave us stories like Genesis of the Daleks which is A-Grade storytelling.

Also Douglas Adams was the show writer for about two years in the 70s and those episodes are still slick stylish and funny, his best is probably City of Death and is a fun counterfeit art story set in 70s Paris and renaissance Paris.

The show has never had consistency, Its as strong as the individual writers of which there are scores. You get the good with the bad. The bulldada episodes like Face of Evil when they had no money had to get creative and have hilarous thungs like tom bakers screaming head following the cast around a forest.

The main problem with the new show apart from condescension is the melodrama, the show is strongest when its exporing a sci-fi concept and not moaning over the doctor wondering if he doing the right thing.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

hooplala

Quote from: Faust on July 18, 2017, 03:14:31 PM
Its not just bulldada, in fact when the budgets sucked it had some of the best written sci-fi stories,
Sure every episode was the same quarry with a different colour filter over the camera lense each week, but that quarry gave us stories like Genesis of the Daleks which is A-Grade storytelling.

Also Douglas Adams was the show writer for about two years in the 70s and those episodes are still slick stylish and funny, his best is probably City of Death and is a fun counterfeit art story set in 70s Paris and renaissance Paris.

The show has never had consistency, Its as strong as the individual writers of which there are scores. You get the good with the bad. The bulldada episodes like Face of Evil when they had no money had to get creative and have hilarous thungs like tom bakers screaming head following the cast around a forest.

The main problem with the new show apart from condescension is the melodrama, the show is strongest when its exporing a sci-fi concept and not moaning over the doctor wondering if he doing the right thing.

Agreed. It's like the writers decided, well people loved Genesis of the Daleks, so let's be all moral quandaries from here on out.

roger, do you remember Read All About It? It was like Dr Who for kids in Canada.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bruno

Quote from: Hoopla on July 18, 2017, 04:56:38 PM

Agreed. It's like the writers decided, well people loved Genesis of the Daleks, so let's be all moral quandaries from here on out.

roger, do you remember Read All About It? It was like Dr Who for kids in Canada.

I just found Read All About It on youtube last year. I remembered seeing it as a kid, and went looking for it. It took me a while to figure out what it was. At first, I thought it was Ghost Writer, but that wasn't on until after I had graduated high school. Season one was amazing.

hooplala

Quote from: Emo Howard on July 18, 2017, 05:26:16 PM

I just found Read All About It on youtube last year. I remembered seeing it as a kid, and went looking for it. It took me a while to figure out what it was. At first, I thought it was Ghost Writer, but that wasn't on until after I had graduated high school. Season one was amazing.

I have many memories of watching it under the age of five. It was terrifying.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Bruno

Quote from: Hoopla on July 18, 2017, 05:47:00 PM

I have one very vague memory of it. It ran once on local PBS when I think I was on Christmas break. I want to say I saw it after coming home from the christmas party at the half-day at school in maybe 4th or 5th grade. That's the only specific memory I have of ever seeing it, though I may have seen a few random episodes at other times.

I have an even earlier memory of this one scene from one show that I'm pretty sure was on PBS. It's a teenage boy and girl standing next to an indoor pool, possibly at some school. The boy kisses the girl, the girl turns green (like a witch or something?), and spits out a mouthful of nails. The boy bursts into flames and falls into the pool. The girl then walks off with another girl. And I'm just standing there like "WTF did I just see?" I still have no idea.

hooplala

Quote from: Emo Howard on July 18, 2017, 06:06:26 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on July 18, 2017, 05:47:00 PM

I have one very vague memory of it. It ran once on local PBS when I think I was on Christmas break. I want to say I saw it after coming home from the christmas party at the half-day at school in maybe 4th or 5th grade. That's the only specific memory I have of ever seeing it, though I may have seen a few random episodes at other times.

I have an even earlier memory of this one scene from one show that I'm pretty sure was on PBS. It's a teenage boy and girl standing next to an indoor pool, possibly at some school. The boy kisses the girl, the girl turns green (like a witch or something?), and spits out a mouthful of nails. The boy bursts into flames and falls into the pool. The girl then walks off with another girl. And I'm just standing there like "WTF did I just see?" I still have no idea.

Sounds like an average afternoon in Florida.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Bruno

Quote from: Hoopla on July 18, 2017, 07:49:02 PM

Yeah, but this was ostensibly Canada. That's what makes it weird.

Unless... Does Canada have it's own Florida?

hooplala

Quote from: Emo Howard on July 18, 2017, 09:29:35 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on July 18, 2017, 07:49:02 PM

Yeah, but this was ostensibly Canada. That's what makes it weird.

Unless... Does Canada have it's own Florida?

Yes. It's called Hamilton.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

I think they made a musical about that, right?