News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trivial

Company that spun off our company put our tech support number on their website.  People threatening to give bad reviews if we don't answer questions.  I think this will sort itself out.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Trivial

Quote from: Faust on July 18, 2017, 11:22:42 AM
He's condescending, and trying to demonstrate he is smart, at the expense of the characters. He can do excellent once off episode's like blink, or the girl in the fireplace, but any of his long running stories become a mess fast

It's also like he doesn't know why those episodes were good, like Blink.  He figures oh people liked it because the Weeping Angels, if I just throw those in new episodes, those new episodes will be good, right?

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on July 18, 2017, 09:36:51 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on July 18, 2017, 09:29:35 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on July 18, 2017, 07:49:02 PM

Sounds like an average afternoon in Florida.

Yeah, but this was ostensibly Canada. That's what makes it weird.

Unless... Does Canada have it's own Florida?

Yes. It's called Hamilton.

:tgrr:

TGRR,
CAN'T ACTUALLY ARGUE THAT.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

POFP

Copied from previous Open Bar, didn't see this shiny new one:

I've been reading stories of complex social engineering schemes that pentesters and criminals have used to compromise entire corporate networks, and I've just been thinking about how no complexity or effort would even be required to compromise my company's entire network (And all the networks and companies we support). Literally no one would question a single person walking right into our building, and walking up to any computer left open and alone, and breaking into it using publicly available, no-hardware-required Windows 7 boot-time exploits, and installing whatever list of malware they desired.

It's disturbing, actually. Considering we support several of the largest Fortune 500 companies, you'd think we'd spend a little more effort on security.

Oh yeah, I forgot, we have these nice, security badges. Good thing no one can get one at the security desk just by asking for one and providing information that is publicly available. Nope, not at all...
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Generally speaking companies don't implement even the most basic security until somebody rubs their nose in it publicly.

Trivial

Someone broke a thing that affects many other things, but no one knows where first thing is.  I'm having an awesome day.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Trivial on July 20, 2017, 01:54:13 AM
Someone broke a thing that affects many other things, but no one knows where first thing is.  I'm having an awesome day.

This has been my entire professional life.   :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

So my boss just assigned the engineer to my department. If you've ever been in the maintenance field, this is supposed to be a true Darth Vader moment. Or Jeremy Irons. Cue hideous laughter.

But the guy is fucking adorable. He is in over his head, technically, and has this bunny in the headlights look (he's been in the field for 25 years), and I just can't hold up the side with some institutional revenge.

First step: Cure him of that whole tie thing, because a) this is Tucson and we don't do ties, and b) he is now a PLANT ENGINEER (even if it's a test bed plant) and they get dirty. At least when they work with my crew.

Second step, tell him that I see his internet use, and I know he's frantically looking for another job (he is more of a draftsman, and he's scared shitless of this job, even though it's within his capabilities), and he just got here, FFS. He is staying.

We're gonna do great things. We're gonna do IMPROPER SCIENCE. He just doesn't know it yet.

Trivial

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 20, 2017, 02:29:34 AM
Quote from: Trivial on July 20, 2017, 01:54:13 AM

This has been my entire professional life.   :lulz:

They found the thing!  Also, they should have not let people that actually have a map of what things go together leave. Or at least leave angry, which I imagine they did because they took a whole bunch of knowledge with them.

We have people on my side going, some shit is broken. We have people on the other side that can say they can only fix shit if they know what particular shit it is.  Everyone gets their elbows into unknown shit before finding that one needed turd.  We're just lucky it was actually something that could be traced.

LMNO

Quote from: PoFP on July 19, 2017, 10:43:58 PM
Copied from previous Open Bar, didn't see this shiny new one:

I've been reading stories of complex social engineering schemes that pentesters and criminals have used to compromise entire corporate networks, and I've just been thinking about how no complexity or effort would even be required to compromise my company's entire network (And all the networks and companies we support). Literally no one would question a single person walking right into our building, and walking up to any computer left open and alone, and breaking into it using publicly available, no-hardware-required Windows 7 boot-time exploits, and installing whatever list of malware they desired.

It's disturbing, actually. Considering we support several of the largest Fortune 500 companies, you'd think we'd spend a little more effort on security.

Oh yeah, I forgot, we have these nice, security badges. Good thing no one can get one at the security desk just by asking for one and providing information that is publicly available. Nope, not at all...

My Google Fu is failing me, but I recall a story about a hacking challenge, where the IT security guy was boasting how strong their firewalls, etc were, and dared a certain hacker to try and get access to a particular server.  So, the hacker dressed up as maintenance, walked through the front door unquestioned, went to the server field, unplugged it, and walked out with it under his arm.

Like I said, I can't attest to its veracity because I can't find the link, but it sounds true.

POFP

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 19, 2017, 10:52:52 PM
Generally speaking companies don't implement even the most basic security until somebody rubs their nose in it publicly.

I was considering writing up a report and sending it to the powers that be, but I think you're right. I may have to pay a friend to put on one of these bad boys:

and perform the pentest. Worst case scenario, people notice and laugh it off. Considering everyone who works here knows the story of how the Pizza Hut guy got to our most secure floor without a badge or question simply because the person who ordered the pizza told him they were on that floor. The guy walked into the elevator, asked someone to take him to that floor, AND THEY DID IT... This has happened MULTIPLE TIMES.

Quote from: LMNO on July 20, 2017, 01:12:15 PM

My Google Fu is failing me, but I recall a story about a hacking challenge, where the IT security guy was boasting how strong their firewalls, etc were, and dared a certain hacker to try and get access to a particular server.  So, the hacker dressed up as maintenance, walked through the front door unquestioned, went to the server field, unplugged it, and walked out with it under his arm.

Like I said, I can't attest to its veracity because I can't find the link, but it sounds true.

That's fucking fantastic. And all that required was either a generic maintenance uniform, or one tailored to the company they contract maintenance out to, if they even do.

I completely believe it.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Without the correct paperwork, pentesting is still criminal, and inviting another person to do it makes you an accessory.

Not telling you not to, just don't want you to stumble into criminal actions accidentally.

POFP

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 20, 2017, 04:14:31 PM
Without the correct paperwork, pentesting is still criminal, and inviting another person to do it makes you an accessory.

Not telling you not to, just don't want you to stumble into criminal actions accidentally.

Oh yeah, you're completely right. It was more of a joke. I read LMNO's post and the picture that was generated in my mind was a guy in a maintenance outfit with one of those nose-stache-glasses combos on. So I figured I'd share the mental picture, and the fact that it'd likely be successful. I was considering doing a youtube video of it working on some other place that wouldn't care.

Bruno

I'm filling out a job application, and one of the questions is "Tell us what makes you unique. Try to be creative and say something that will catch our eye!"

Am I wrong in interpreting this as "Make up some outlandish shit about yourself"?  I mean, how could something factually accurate be "creative"?

I'm thinking of saying something like "I was born in a dirigible, and can communicate telepathically with creamed corn."
Formerly something else...