News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO on July 22, 2017, 03:30:49 PM
Verily, the words of the non-prophets are scribbled on the bathroom walls of the sub-universe.

Or something like that.

The holes in the walls and filthy stalls are their doing too.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

You know who does take security seriously?  Hungarian border guards.  Especially when they break the law by detaining EU citizens at the border for over an hour.  Namely, me.

Cain

Incidentally, new hotel's internet is appallingly shit.  It's like being back on dial-up.  WTF is this nonsense, I thought this place was 4*?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on July 22, 2017, 04:30:04 PM
You know who does take security seriously?  Hungarian border guards.  Especially when they break the law by detaining EU citizens at the border for over an hour.  Namely, me.

Maybe you look like a person of interest?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 23, 2017, 12:46:02 AM

:lmnuendo:

The Wizard Joseph

Perhaps it was because of your EU cred.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hungarys-leader-border-fences-stop-muslim-migration-103830035.html

Happened to spot this earlier today. Pretty sure it's a bad sign.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Junkenstein

Kind of lucky it was just an hour and not indefinitely. That seems popular there these days
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

In that case, I'd hope they'd run my passport to verify my ID.  Which they did not do.  In fact, they didn't even look at my passport, beyond my flashing it in their faces.

The whole episode was very bizarre.  I know they have had refugee and human trafficking problems, but the flow of people is from Serbia (where I also wouldn't want to flee to if I was a Muslim) into Hungary and then through the Slovakia/Czech corridor into Germany.  And I wsa entering from Slovakia, the complete opposite direction and side of the country.

I'm still considering writing up the event for the British Embassy in Hungary, even though I know they won't do anything about it because none of that will apply to us in another 18 months.

Cain

All that said, Budapest > Vienna.  Sure, the latter definitely has grasped the importance of grand scale...but Budapest understands everything should not be off-white in colour.  And has better beer.  And coffee, for all the Viennese go on about their cafe culture.

Trivial

Higher up wondering why all the "Be a Viking" swag isn't getting used at our office, fails to remember our location and regional football teams.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Trivial

Oh ffs, this is from a VP blog, a different guy:

BE A VIKING, NOT A VICTIM!
I hear too many victim-like comments from our organization every day -- "Finance and HR won't let me hire the people I need to finish the job."

Gonna take the Viking metaphor a bit differently if I ever see him.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Trivial on July 25, 2017, 02:21:06 AM
Oh ffs, this is from a VP blog, a different guy:

BE A VIKING, NOT A VICTIM!
I hear too many victim-like comments from our organization every day -- "Finance and HR won't let me hire the people I need to finish the job."

Gonna take the Viking metaphor a bit differently if I ever see him.

WTF?   :lulz:

That's Goddamn precious.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

So you should rape and pillage to acquire the resources you need? 

Bruno

Don't be the quarry. Just stay calmer.
Stalk your prey like Jeffrey Dahmer.*

*also works with Unabomber
Formerly something else...

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on July 25, 2017, 03:40:33 PM
So you should rape and pillage to acquire the resources you need?

Isn't that the basis of ayn Rand's shtick?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.