News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: Cain on October 02, 2017, 09:08:27 AM
I'm hearing the damage is so bad that PR's infrastructure, including electrical grid, has been knocked back 40 to 60 years.  It's going to take a decade to recover under optimal conditions.

It's shocking to think that can happen to part of a first world nation. They are going to need a lot of support from the rest of the US

A black start is hard to perform under perfect conditions, for instance getting the frequency to stabilise in the UK to 50Hz means massive coordination of the various plants and the large load customers that can cause imbalances, it could take days, with zero damage to the grid.

PR is going to have a hard time coordinating that, and any damage to areas may not be detectable until they start trying to bring the grid online.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

You might get more out of this specific info than me, but the takeaway is that PR's in a very bad way, and wasn't doing well even before the hurricane hit

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/9/30/16384176/army-corps-puerto-rico-iraq-hurricane-maria

Faust

Hard to tell if their main generation plants are damaged or not from that, but the logistical cost of importing new power lines and poles and keeping hospitals powered on Diesel 24/7 for the next several months is not a good prospect. It's going to need the full backing of the government to rebuild.

The Good Reverend Roger

I just realized I washed my sleeping pills down with coffee.

No, I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

That will be your body's reaction in a couple of hours too.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Trivial

Forum looks very plain.  Is it weird for everyone?
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

MMIX

Quote from: Trivial on October 16, 2017, 04:23:52 AM

It has always been weird but it still looks the same to me as it always has . Maybe that is because I don't go for any of those fancy schmantzy colour schemes that you kids are so fond of.
So welcome to "Stripped Down Discordia" Trivial
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Doktor Howl

Quote from: MMIX on October 16, 2017, 11:37:35 AM

It has always been weird but it still looks the same to me as it always has . Maybe that is because I don't go for any of those fancy schmantzy colour schemes that you kids are so fond of.

This in no way implies that the shirtless Dok Howl pics are forthcoming.
Molon Lube

Trivial

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 17, 2017, 12:51:44 AM

I miss the handy buttons, they're all gone.  Both phone and computer are doing the same thing. 
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Trivial on October 17, 2017, 03:54:10 AM

I miss the handy buttons, they're all gone.  Both phone and computer are doing the same thing. 

This is the only button you really need around here:
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Faust

Some of the files were being served on https and some not, sorry about that.

LMNO

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on October 17, 2017, 05:12:10 AM

This is the only button you really need around here:

SHIT.

FUCK.

DAMN.

Cain

We need to renew the SSL again, to keep LMNO out.

He's bringing BIG GAY COWBOYS, he's bringing BEARFORCE1.  And some, I assume, are fabulous people.

BuildTheSSLRenewl, MakePDGreatAgain

LMNO