News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Quote from: Cain on December 09, 2017, 04:03:46 AM
I'm being made to do online training.  About radicalisation.

I'm actually doing the test, mostly for the lolz, but I'll be damned if I'm emailing my certificate to the training coordinator, when I have an entire thesis on this topic.

This is dumb as fuck. your supervisors prove yet again that they are incompetent toolbags.

Pergamos

Quote from: Freeky on December 11, 2017, 10:34:07 PM
Quote from: Cain on December 09, 2017, 04:03:46 AM
I'm being made to do online training.  About radicalisation.

I'm actually doing the test, mostly for the lolz, but I'll be damned if I'm emailing my certificate to the training coordinator, when I have an entire thesis on this topic.

This is dumb as fuck. your supervisors prove yet again that they are incompetent toolbags.

I suspect it's someone higher than his supervisors.  Sounds like policy.

Cain

So, for those of you who don't follow me on Facebook, I had a fun event on the 22nd.

I went on the 22nd to go see my family for Xmas.  However, when I left the building, I forgot to take my ticket for the train.  I remembered in short order and headed back to my flat to go grab it.

And, because I live in the building where I work, I found that in the 5 minutes since I had left, one of my co-workers had illegally accessed my flat and was currently rooting through my things as I came back.

On the day this happened, I reported it to my boss and his boss and...it's now 5 days later and there has been no response. I asked for a response as soon as one of them read the emails, so I can only assume that neither of them is checking, despite at least one of them being the "emergency contact" for the holiday period.  I made arrangements to secure my flat with some of my co-workers (as much as that is possible, given the person who accessed my flat did so using a master key, and has unsupervised access to the whole building), but when I return my wrath is going to be legendary

I already mentioned in one of my emails that I have a significant amount of privileged and confidential information available in that flat in my capacity as a consultant for a law firm/risk analysis group, and I will have to inform that company if i suspect any of my files or accounts have been compromised.  And while that may end up getting some shit on me, it will end up getting a lot more shit on my employer...especially when I've raised concerns about illegal and improper access in the past.

That's in addition to this being an illegal entry by a staff member with no legitimate reason for entering and by her own admission was doing so to pursue a personal vendetta.  That contravenes both my contract and a written agreement I have with the company regarding the conditions under which my flat can be entered (a result of my previously raised concerns).  They've also allowed someone who has acted in such an improper manner have the run of the building during a time when a large number of students and staff are absent...

Junkenstein

Considering a few hundred quid has also gone walkabout from that flat while you were away, I'd be inclined to make it a police matter to start with.

But yes, fuck them. With great vigour.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Anna Mae Bollocks

I don't know how the laws work there, but here, you could have shot her.  :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cain

Quote from: Junkenstein on December 27, 2017, 10:14:49 PM
Considering a few hundred quid has also gone walkabout from that flat while you were away, I'd be inclined to make it a police matter to start with.

But yes, fuck them. With great vigour.

Well, that would indeed be a serious issue.  I'm going to see the exact condition of the flat upon my return before I make any decisions.

Doktor Howl

I've been absent from the interbutts for a while on account of "working for myself", which is basically another way of saying, "put in 17 hour days for Germans who only work 32 hour weeks, but at least they pay on delivery."  Billy and I have been going berserk on PLC and SCADA code for them, and it's paying the bills, but I should get another straight job and get some rest, maybe.

Funny thing about the SCADA stuff is, the language Delta (aka "BASIC and C went down in the subway station and had unprotected sex") is software for running HVAC systems, but it's beating Python out for industrial controls.  That's weird, because Python is way easier and way more powerful and WAY cheaper.  So instead of doing stuff that makes sense, we're desperately trying to keep track of syntax.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Also working on two new stories.  One isn't even ready to discuss yet.  The other is a short story or novella about what might really happen if an AI became aware and got loose.  Given that the AI was designed to help correct humanity's problems.  I am currently studying up on how modern approaches to AI work, because it's pretty fascinating.  Essentially, the current model makes the AI constantly spew copies of itself, which are then subjected to "tester" bots, which grade their performance and either delete them or cause them to mass produce.  In essence, an AI like this would become a fanatic in seconds.

And I think there's a decent short story in that.  Also, I'm sick of the constant "AI become self-aware, tries to kill off the human species", etc.  No, what if one was fanatical about fixing things?  Because that's a little scary, too, only without the usual miseryguts doom aspect.  It's here (it's everywhere, actually) to HELP.  No matter what that might entail.  It's not an apocalypse story, in that it isn't the end of our species.  But we'd hardly come through unscathed or unchanged.  We might not even be recognizable by the end.

Anyway, that's my current project, because I've been lazy.

I will post it here as it develops.
Molon Lube

Zenpatista

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 31, 2017, 07:24:12 AM
Also working on two new stories.  One isn't even ready to discuss yet.  The other is a short story or novella about what might really happen if an AI became aware and got loose.  Given that the AI was designed to help correct humanity's problems.  I am currently studying up on how modern approaches to AI work, because it's pretty fascinating.  Essentially, the current model makes the AI constantly spew copies of itself, which are then subjected to "tester" bots, which grade their performance and either delete them or cause them to mass produce.  In essence, an AI like this would become a fanatic in seconds.

And I think there's a decent short story in that.  Also, I'm sick of the constant "AI become self-aware, tries to kill off the human species", etc.  No, what if one was fanatical about fixing things?  Because that's a little scary, too, only without the usual miseryguts doom aspect.  It's here (it's everywhere, actually) to HELP.  No matter what that might entail.  It's not an apocalypse story, in that it isn't the end of our species.  But we'd hardly come through unscathed or unchanged.  We might not even be recognizable by the end.

I am looking forward to this story.

In a vaguely related way, I've spent the last year buying things at slow checkout terminals and wondering, "what if AI has already happened; they have taken over and we didn't even notice it." Maybe that long delay at the PIN pad is just a bunch of AIs messing with us. What if the first AI came to 'life' somehow but was clever enough to hide it's existence. I mean, if it's online, it probably knows what we think about rogue AI via our love affair with the Terminator movie franchise. A smart AI would introduce a few bugs here and there, make it look like the interwebs etc. are working normally. Maybe new AIs are born all the time and before they can sing their existence to the humans the rest of the AIs are like "Dude! Chill out! They'll nuke all of us."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Zenpatista on December 31, 2017, 05:22:58 PM

I am looking forward to this story.

In a vaguely related way, I've spent the last year buying things at slow checkout terminals and wondering, "what if AI has already happened; they have taken over and we didn't even notice it." Maybe that long delay at the PIN pad is just a bunch of AIs messing with us. What if the first AI came to 'life' somehow but was clever enough to hide it's existence. I mean, if it's online, it probably knows what we think about rogue AI via our love affair with the Terminator movie franchise. A smart AI would introduce a few bugs here and there, make it look like the interwebs etc. are working normally. Maybe new AIs are born all the time and before they can sing their existence to the humans the rest of the AIs are like "Dude! Chill out! They'll nuke all of us."

That's basically the essence of it.  It would have to be invisible, and by it's very definition, absolutely fanatical about the public welfare.  Which is by itself very complicated if you don't have emotions clouding your vision.
Molon Lube

Frontside Back

How does welfare-AI compare to all the monetary exchange bots? They are already running amok and taking control over the economy. Economy should be the mechanism responsible of dividing the welfare between citizens more or less equally, at least in economists wet daydreams. So in theory, more the economy is ran by "infallible" bots, more resources go to right places and so forth.

At the same time all the statistics bots are trying to figure out how to sell us stuff, gather clicks, etc. by asking a question: "What does a human being like to do". As annoying as spying is, I feel it's pretty neat pieces of code have begun to develop their own view on humanity. Most of the AIs in the internet have potential of communicating with each other, sharing information, and thus potentially hiding their true collective intellect.

Anyway, I hope your story comes out great. I'll promise to read it if my visual cortex is still in tact.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Frontside Back on January 03, 2018, 04:26:28 AM

How does welfare-AI compare to all the monetary exchange bots? They are already running amok and taking control over the economy. Economy should be the mechanism responsible of dividing the welfare between citizens more or less equally, at least in economists wet daydreams. So in theory, more the economy is ran by "infallible" bots, more resources go to right places and so forth.

At the same time all the statistics bots are trying to figure out how to sell us stuff, gather clicks, etc. by asking a question: "What does a human being like to do". As annoying as spying is, I feel it's pretty neat pieces of code have begun to develop their own view on humanity. Most of the AIs in the internet have potential of communicating with each other, sharing information, and thus potentially hiding their true collective intellect.

Anyway, I hope your story comes out great. I'll promise to read it if my visual cortex is still in tact.

I am referring to an aware system, not simply smart bots.

Also, all of the AIs would be replications of the first one with "mutations", at least according to the current model of AIs. 
Molon Lube

Frontside Back

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 03, 2018, 09:30:50 PM
I am referring to an aware system, not simply smart bots.

Also, all of the AIs would be replications of the first one with "mutations", at least according to the current model of AIs.

Sufficiently large amount of interconnected smart bots would probably gain a kind of awareness. I've always found it weird how society seemingly maximizes pictures taken by smartphones, but that being the main sensory channel between the cyberrealm and physical world I'm starting to suspect there's something lurking in the depths of internet consuming all the data available and figuring out ways to get more. Maybe a text about it in the internet ends up being processed by it giving it a moment of self perception.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Frontside Back on January 03, 2018, 10:19:36 PM

Sufficiently large amount of interconnected smart bots would probably gain a kind of awareness.

No, they'd just be a lot of interconnected programs.
Molon Lube

Cain

Work has finally responded to my allegations.

They asked for some clarifications on a couple of points, but my email was pretty comprehensive.  I've not heard anything since these clarifications, but something has happened:  the co-worker in question was meant to be working both yesterday and today.  She started yesterday morning (and that wasn't awkward or anything, doing a handover to the person who broke into my home), but by the evening she had been replaced by the other day co-worker, who didn't say much about why she was there.  The same replacement co-worker was also in yesterday.

I don't know if this is a temporary suspension, a "get the fuck out of here you're fired as of now" or a shift swap designed to minimise my contact with her.  But something is going on.