News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

If she admitted entry then they likely let her go on the spot on the offer that they wont prosecute if she leaves.  If she had denied it they would be in a difficult to get rid of her, but I've never seen suspensions for theft because it becomes impossible to build up trust in that person again.

She could always have had a breakdown during her shift and walked out.

Either way, hopefully thats the last of people fucking with your shit. I don't know how you remained so patient.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

I will admit that my concern is that she is going to deny everything, and turn it into a "he said, she said" kind of a thing.  In that situation, I would walk, even without a job to go into, the moment the references from HR allowed me to put down a deposit on renting elsewhere. 

I've already stomached more shit than I should have from management, but management is mostly a distant concern and I can ignore them due to the unsociable hours I work.  There's no-one around to tell me at 3am I should be doing pointless patrols or putting up posters that no-one will ever look at.  I would be handing over to this person on a daily basis, however.  Sooner or later I'd end up clocking her one or simply refusing to do the handover at all. 

There would also be the issue that, yes on paper it's one person's word against another.  But I'm a senior residence supervisor, with 3 years in the company, no record of making spurious allegations, no record of any form of vendetta with this staff member beyond the concerns sent about her lack of work ethic.  In that case, management refusing to take my side would be akin to saying they think I'm making shit up for some reason.  And if they really think I'm that delusional or vindictive...well, why am I being entrusted with 200+ students again?

I've sort of reached a state of zen-like detatchment about the issue, on one level.  Because of the way in which it happened, I wasn't able to vent about it for hours (I quietly fumed on a train, before concluding that no matter what, there was nothing I could do at this point and so I should concentrate on other things).  Since getting back, I've not been able to talk about it either, because no other members of staff know about this incident.  You would think that would make me feel like I'm bottling it up, but it's almost the reverse.  I already decided, on the day, what my response would be if management didn't do the right thing. 

So really I've just been waiting, to see what will happen. 

Frontside Back

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 04, 2018, 12:51:19 AM
Quote from: Frontside Back on January 03, 2018, 10:19:36 PM

Sufficiently large amount of interconnected smart bots would probably gain a kind of awareness.

No, they'd just be a lot of interconnected programs.

It's my personal bias to think a mind emerges from everything complex enough, but I'll stick to it because I feel like it has some predictive power. After all, the mind is possibly the most complicated concept we can abstract in a meaningful way, people being social creatures. So thinking things more complicated than people as "personalities" is the closest approximation I can really wrap my head around.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

Meunster

Who, what, wart?

Sober me is going to hate getting email updates about this thread. But hi guys, people, reptiles, nightmares[/] idk, I'm touching my Buddhist punk disco roots and wanted to stop for a drink. Now that im a generation defected and recalled to the factory.
Poe's law ;)

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Frontside Back on January 05, 2018, 02:18:14 AM

It's my personal bias to think a mind emerges from everything complex enough,

That only works with bureaucracies.
Molon Lube

Chelagoras The Boulder

Good news today. My A1C is down to 6.3, from 8.1.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Vanadium Gryllz

So i'm moving to Malaysia at the end of the month. Flying out this weekend - a week in Dubai for training then a week in Vietnam visiting customers before my contract even officially starts before finally ending up in Kuala Lumpur.

Pretty excited. Kinda nervous.

Thanks to those of you who encouraged the decision. I should still be about.

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

So I am now "City Manager" for a town full of semi-wealthy retirees.  It pays as well as the plant did, with less actual work involved.

Lots of personnel hilarity, of course, but you can't have everything.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

It's not an elected position, but I somehow feel like a politician.

I am telling my aging parents that I have become a prostitute, so they won't be as ashamed.
Molon Lube

Cain

City Manager sounds like my job, only with old people.  So, uh, have fun?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on January 09, 2018, 11:26:30 PM

Frankly, it looks like it's gonna suck, but I am too broke to be picky.
Molon Lube

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 09, 2018, 03:01:57 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on January 09, 2018, 02:53:42 AM
Good news today. My A1C is down to 6.3, from 8.1.

Over how long a period?
8.1 was taken in November, 6.3 was measured at the end of December. So roughly two months, give or take.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 10, 2018, 12:59:32 AM

Well here's hoping it produces some good stories at least...

And more downtime is good too eh?
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 10, 2018, 12:59:32 AM

I can relate. I just accepted a job as an out-call telemarketing rep trying to set up vacuum cleaner demonstrations.  :|

Good news is it pays little enough that I can keep my state healthcare and housing. I need to really get to good again, but it's a long road from here.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl