News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POFP

Glad you and Don are okay/alive!

Came into the office today to learn that our IT department decided to block network access to several of our team's necessary web applications (And Facebook!  :argh!: ). The last time they did this, they did it by blocking access to some applications on only our system-wide proxy, and blocking other applications on the DIRECT connection, which was easily bypassed with a simple modification to our proxy script. But now they've blocked all kinds of shit on BOTH the proxy and DIRECT connection.

If someone had told me that I was gonna have to solve riddles in order to perform my required job functions, I would've joined Nicholas Cage as a Treasure Hunter.

Also, it's shit like this that makes security breaches like those that made our executives have a couple heart attacks last week well-deserved.

I'm so glad the company I'm supporting via contract is interested in my skills. My company obviously doesn't give a shit.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Cain

Should get my final draft approved for the interesting tech I mentioned a few weeks ago today.  Though it likely won't be published for weeks, as soon as its OK'd, I'll post an abridged version of it here.

Suu

Dumbass FB friend posts link about "BBC MAKES SHOCKING DOCUMENTARY PROVING JESUS WAS A BUDDHIST MONK!", complains she can't find the documentary.

Me: That's because it's not real, and the BBC never did such a thing. It's satire.

Her: Yeah, but how do you know?

Five other people on her page: Wait, this is from "Lamb", by Christopher Moore.

Other guy: My dad's been talking about this for 30 years!

Her: OMG then it must be real!

Us: READ MORE BOOKS, USE LESS INTERNET.

Her: Ang, just because you're a historian doesn't mean you really know everything.

Me: WELL, ACTUALEEEEE, IT MAKES ME MORE QUALIFIED THAN CHRISTOPHER MOORE BUT YOU SHOULD READ HIM ANYWAY.

Her: But this documentary!

Me: It's not real! You're on a clickbaity website called "Earth We Are One", that has subheaders for exopolitics and self-help.

Her: But how do YOU know?

Me: ...You hate vaccines, don't you?

*BLOCKED*
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Incidentally, I second the recommendation of Lamb, by Christopher Moore.

If anyone needs additional convincing, the subtitle is "The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal".

Don Coyote

Clearly an ancient Rabbi was really a Buddhist monk because vaccines contain mercury and cause autism, it's just science sheeple.

Suu

Quote from: Don Coyote on February 22, 2018, 08:23:31 PM
Clearly an ancient Rabbi was really a Buddhist monk because vaccines contain mercury and cause autism, it's just science sheeple.

Romans did make pilgrimages to Buddhist shrines if they were God-Fearers stationed in the east, but this is straight out of a work of fiction, and it's fucking hilarious that random WORLD GOD TRUTH TV DAILY websites are picking up on it.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Suu on February 22, 2018, 11:36:26 PM

Romans did make pilgrimages to Buddhist shrines if they were God-Fearers stationed in the east, but this is straight out of a work of fiction, and it's fucking hilarious that random WORLD GOD TRUTH TV DAILY websites are picking up on it.

Not even surprised it was from a work of fiction.

Suu

Quote from: Don Coyote on February 23, 2018, 01:22:22 AM

It's like these people do God's work for us.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Suu on February 23, 2018, 01:28:48 AM
Quote from: Don Coyote on February 23, 2018, 01:22:22 AM

It's like these people do God's work for us.

THAT SOUNDS LIKE communism

The Wizard Joseph

So on Wednesday I've got an appointment with the local DVR. Hopefully this will mean I find some sort of employment. I'm in a tricky position. I need to either find part-time work that will pay me very little so that I can keep my insurance benefit or a full-time job that I can handle that's got benefits sufficient that I won't lose out on getting my pills.

Also going to be riding the bus a lot more since my car doesn't work. It's going to be an interesting challenge. I'll get used to it eventually but in the meantime I literally have almost no idea where the routes go. I have a bus schedule map but I've never been good at map reading or planning a trip. Starting next month I'm going to buy a bus pass and just ride the thing as much as I can until I learn the place by sight.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on February 09, 2018, 04:07:38 AM
So, the co-worker who broke into my flat apologised to me today.

I think my reaction is best summed up by this smiley:  :kingmeh:

King Meh remains my single greatest contribution to PD.com. I think it's telling that the freeware pixel art program I used to make it borked forever shortly after. It's work in this world was complete.

Also, 'sup Pee Dee. It appears that the forum is no longer nannywalled off at work.

Cainad (dec.)

Also uhhhh good job everyone on... not dying? Apparently there's been some near misses. Yikes.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on February 26, 2018, 04:33:00 PM
Quote from: Cain on February 09, 2018, 04:07:38 AM
So, the co-worker who broke into my flat apologised to me today.

I think my reaction is best summed up by this smiley:  :kingmeh:

King Meh remains my single greatest contribution to PD.com. I think it's telling that the freeware pixel art program I used to make it borked forever shortly after. It's work in this world was complete.

Also, 'sup Pee Dee. It appears that the forum is no longer nannywalled off at work.

Kingmeh is one of my favorites! Good to see you again Cainad! Welcome back to PD
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 26, 2018, 01:18:01 AM
So on Wednesday I've got an appointment with the local DVR. Hopefully this will mean I find some sort of employment. I'm in a tricky position. I need to either find part-time work that will pay me very little so that I can keep my insurance benefit or a full-time job that I can handle that's got benefits sufficient that I won't lose out on getting my pills.

Also going to be riding the bus a lot more since my car doesn't work. It's going to be an interesting challenge. I'll get used to it eventually but in the meantime I literally have almost no idea where the routes go. I have a bus schedule map but I've never been good at map reading or planning a trip. Starting next month I'm going to buy a bus pass and just ride the thing as much as I can until I learn the place by sight.

"we have a mental health problem in our nation"

"so...free or heavily subsidized mental health treatment for at the very least the lower income brackets so they can be 'contributing' members of society?"

'Haha NO!! You clearly are lazy and are using your 'illness' as an excuse for not working hard. If you want mental health care, try being wealthy. Peasant."

Also, bus routes are clearly designed by evil or senile wizards for arcane purposes. your plan of riding a lot to familiarize yourself with the routes, stops, and timing is my method.

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on February 26, 2018, 04:37:14 PM
Also uhhhh good job everyone on... not dying? Apparently there's been some near misses. Yikes.

Not being dead is great.

Trivial

So if I remember right a few months ago the fcc ruled you didn't have to have a physical studio located in the broadcast area you are serving.  I wondered how long it'd be before the stations start closing down.

I just set up a weather computer that serves Anchorage, Alaska for a studio in Las Vegas, Nevada.

So, yeah, it's already happening.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.