Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Don Coyote on February 26, 2018, 06:07:11 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 26, 2018, 01:18:01 AM
So on Wednesday I've got an appointment with the local DVR. Hopefully this will mean I find some sort of employment. I'm in a tricky position. I need to either find part-time work that will pay me very little so that I can keep my insurance benefit or a full-time job that I can handle that's got benefits sufficient that I won't lose out on getting my pills.

Also going to be riding the bus a lot more since my car doesn't work. It's going to be an interesting challenge. I'll get used to it eventually but in the meantime I literally have almost no idea where the routes go. I have a bus schedule map but I've never been good at map reading or planning a trip. Starting next month I'm going to buy a bus pass and just ride the thing as much as I can until I learn the place by sight.

"we have a mental health problem in our nation"

"so...free or heavily subsidized mental health treatment for at the very least the lower income brackets so they can be 'contributing' members of society?"

'Haha NO!! You clearly are lazy and are using your 'illness' as an excuse for not working hard. If you want mental health care, try being wealthy. Peasant."

Also, bus routes are clearly designed by evil or senile wizards for arcane purposes. your plan of riding a lot to familiarize yourself with the routes, stops, and timing is my method.

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on February 26, 2018, 04:37:14 PM
Also uhhhh good job everyone on... not dying? Apparently there's been some near misses. Yikes.

Not being dead is great.

Yeah. Not Dead Yet beats the alternative. Some may see me as an unproductive feudal serf but at least I'm alive. I'm not even sure I'd want to be rich except for the benefits like being able to go to doctors and stuff
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Well I've got Facebook and messenger up and running again. I just had to commit to putting them on my phone. I guess this thing is now tied to me so calling in a burner is no longer appropriate. I really do like the voice recognition on it much better than my old phone.

My phone-tablet is now serving as a radio of sorts. I've been listening to Terry Pratchett audio books almost nonstop for weeks and weeks. I have the complete set don't ask where I got it. His last Works were some of his best and it's a shame that he wound up getting Alzheimer's and leaving us so soon. I can't say I blame him though.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Faust

He dictated a lot of those last books because he was better able to concentrate and keep his flow verbally, and showed good clarity right up towards the end while doing that, I'd like to think that it relaxed him in a confusing difficult time.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Faust on February 27, 2018, 10:55:53 AM
He dictated a lot of those last books because he was better able to concentrate and keep his flow verbally, and showed good clarity right up towards the end while doing that, I'd like to think that it relaxed him in a confusing difficult time.

Raising Steam was a particularly good one. He was building a very rich world right up to the end. There's even a bit in there about a goddess Pepina, she of the apple of discord. It was the most overtly Discordian thing I think in his entire work. He even go so far as to say 'hail Pepina and the occasional Discord'. So I say hail Pratchett!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

On a different note death almost came for Kevin Smith. Apparently he had a massive heart attack a couple of days ago. He's recovering and I saw a post of his on Facebook that was pretty upbeat for a guy that almost died.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Ziegejunge

Kevin Smith is a national treasure, imho. Glad he beat the reaper this time!

Cain

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 27, 2018, 01:17:09 PM

Raising Steam was a particularly good one. He was building a very rich world right up to the end. There's even a bit in there about a goddess Pepina, she of the apple of discord. It was the most overtly Discordian thing I think in his entire work. He even go so far as to say 'hail Pepina and the occasional Discord'. So I say hail Pratchett!

In the Discworld Noir game, you're explicitly "helped" by a priest called "Malacypse" who is the worshipper of the goddess Errata, who presides over misunderstandings, and is considered a trickster goddess. Malaclypse is furthermore obsessed with conspiracy theories.

Admittedly, Pratchett didn't write the game, but he did edit it.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on February 27, 2018, 05:03:24 PM

In the Discworld Noir game, you're explicitly "helped" by a priest called "Malacypse" who is the worshipper of the goddess Errata, who presides over misunderstandings, and is considered a trickster goddess. Malaclypse is furthermore obsessed with conspiracy theories.

Neat! I'll have to look into getting a game system one day and checking it out.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Ziegejunge on February 27, 2018, 04:44:19 PM
Kevin Smith is a national treasure, imho. Glad he beat the reaper this time!

He's also a heck of a businessman. Even use that post to to promote a Jay and Silent Bob reboot! That's dedication

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 27, 2018, 05:38:53 PM
Quote from: Cain on February 27, 2018, 05:03:24 PM

Neat! I'll have to look into getting a game system one day and checking it out.

It came out about 19 years ago, so any reasonable laptop should be able to run it (with backwards compatibility).

Trivial

Damnit, baby either has a badass immune system that eats platelets, or one that is too lame and the bone marrow is making defective ones.

fuck all the things
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

LMNO

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Trivial on February 28, 2018, 12:37:08 AM
Damnit, baby either has a badass immune system that eats platelets, or one that is too lame and the bone marrow is making defective ones.

fuck all the things

I'm sorry to hear that.   :sad:

Molon Lube

Trivial

Won't know for a month or so what it is.  If it's the bad one I'm going to start begging for people's bone marrow.

It appears my genes are defective, but in a way that doesn't hurt me, just my kids.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Trivial on March 01, 2018, 12:18:27 AM
Won't know for a month or so what it is.  If it's the bad one I'm going to start begging for people's bone marrow.

It appears my genes are defective, but in a way that doesn't hurt me, just my kids.

:sad: just try to hang in there trivial.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl