News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Today I scored platinum on the National Career Readiness test. I'm super excited because this will not only look good on a resume but may get me a job real soon here. It will also count towards various academic placement tests when and if I actually get back into school. Overall a pretty good day so far!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Trivial

Quote from: Don Coyote on April 10, 2018, 02:27:19 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 03, 2018, 05:39:46 AM
Quote from: Trivial on April 03, 2018, 04:50:24 AM
Had my post gestational diabetes test and I do not have the permanent diabetes.

I can have all the potatoes now.

:rogpipe:

I have the jealousy.
Meanwhile I'm  playing "dodge the refined carbohydrates" on account of living with the in laws. I don't understand  the attitude  of my mil towards carbs. She also doesn't think prediabetes is a thing and that it's  bullshit the diagnostics for diabetes keep trending to lower levels of acceptable.

Like, I'm  trying not to get the beatus? Her conception of what is a good A1c or sugar level is so warped.

People are weird about food.  Like giving regular coke to folks who order diet if they see that the person is not fat.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Doktor Howl

I have the jealousy.
Meanwhile I'm  playing "dodge the refined carbohydrates" on account of living with the in laws. I don't understand  the attitude  of my mil towards carbs. She also doesn't think prediabetes is a thing and that it's  bullshit the diagnostics for diabetes keep trending to lower levels of acceptable.

Like, I'm  trying not to get the beatus? Her conception of what is a good A1c or sugar level is so warped.

How is she telling you what to eat?
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 11, 2018, 12:54:38 AM

I have the jealousy.

How is she telling you what to eat?

We fucking moved in with them. My rant glad will be getting a small purging next week. She does  the cooking and I really don't want to have to cook for them. I fucking hate this.

Don Coyote

Also, it's  very likely that a) I have PTSD, 2) it had it before I joined the army, and c) the army made it worse. And this might explain why half of my BP isn't  fully responding to my meds and why I had an extremely atypical reaction to another.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Don Coyote on April 14, 2018, 01:25:15 AM
Also, it's  very likely that a) I have PTSD, 2) it had it before I joined the army, and c) the army made it worse. And this might explain why half of my BP isn't  fully responding to my meds and why I had an extremely atypical reaction to another.

This is possible, but speaking from experience, I wouldn't rule out a physiological problem.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 14, 2018, 06:13:04 AM

This is possible, but speaking from experience, I wouldn't rule out a physiological problem.

That is likely. Seroquel should not have made me react in almost the opposite of its function. But I think the PTSD is likely why Lamictal isn't doing much for my manic irritability while helping with the depression.

POFP

Quote from: Don Coyote on April 15, 2018, 02:25:21 AM

That is likely. Seroquel should not have made me react in almost the opposite of its function. But I think the PTSD is likely why Lamictal isn't doing much for my manic irritability while helping with the depression.

Lamictal is actually known for mainly treating the depressive phase of BP, not so much the manic phase. Specifically, it should decrease the amplitude of the low, and delay the high, but it usually won't prevent it or dampen it.

The Seroquel activity depends on genetic predisposition to favoring certain neurotransmitter activity over another, and also depends on dosage. You may wanna discuss dosage of that one with your doctor, as you may need more or less. If they're not aware of that distinction, or think it irrelevant, you may wanna shop around for another doctor if possible.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Don Coyote

Quote from: PoFP on April 16, 2018, 02:54:10 PM

Lamictal is actually known for mainly treating the depressive phase of BP, not so much the manic phase. Specifically, it should decrease the amplitude of the low, and delay the high, but it usually won't prevent it or dampen it.

The Seroquel activity depends on genetic predisposition to favoring certain neurotransmitter activity over another, and also depends on dosage. You may wanna discuss dosage of that one with your doctor, as you may need more or less. If they're not aware of that distinction, or think it irrelevant, you may wanna shop around for another doctor if possible.

I appreciate the concern and I know that it's where your info dump and advice come from, which is why I'm not going in a tear about the implied insult that I am so dumb i would not have done research into my health or the medications I am on and my treatment. I am well aware what lamotrigine primarily treats in bp. I am week aware of what quetiapine is and does. BPII and PTSD are treated in different ways with different kinds of drugs and therapy. My treatmenttement needs to be adjusted in light of the new revelation. And before you point out that one of the unapproved uses for lamotrigine is top treat PTSD, it its clearly not currently working fully.

I will however point out that were I dissatisfied with my psychologist or the staff psychiatrist I would be venting about that and not talking about my experiences in the joy that is trying out psychiatric drugs.

POFP

Quote from: Don Coyote on April 16, 2018, 08:40:06 PM
Quote from: PoFP on April 16, 2018, 02:54:10 PM

I appreciate the concern and I know that it's where your info dump and advice come from, which is why I'm not going in a tear about the implied insult that I am so dumb i would not have done research into my health or the medications I am on and my treatment. I am well aware what lamotrigine primarily treats in bp. I am week aware of what quetiapine is and does. BPII and PTSD are treated in different ways with different kinds of drugs and therapy. My treatmenttement needs to be adjusted in light of the new revelation. And before you point out that one of the unapproved uses for lamotrigine is top treat PTSD, it its clearly not currently working fully.

I will however point out that were I dissatisfied with my psychologist or the staff psychiatrist I would be venting about that and not talking about my experiences in the joy that is trying out psychiatric drugs.

I apologize for anything that may have seemed to be implied by what I said. I sometimes come across as mansplainy and arrogant at times, and I am working on it (It likely stems from the fact that my job is based on explaining and diagnosing problems for people of various levels of education, forcing me to find a low compromise in vocabulary and explanation detail most of the time.). I just wanted to explain my perspective on your situation based on the biochemical and pharmacological knowledge I've gained from my extensive studies of those subjects in general. I also didn't want to get into a bunch of chemical/medical jargon, so I simplified it quite a bit. I did not mean for it to imply that you knew less about the medication than I did. If anything, it was aimed more at triggering a detailed discussion that would increase my knowledge.

Also, I certainly didn't mean to say that you should stop either of the medications you were referring to. It's completely understandable that you wanted to change medications or dosage, even though the combination would normally be expected to work. Obviously if you are still having issues, something is wrong with the medication/dosage/interaction with your genetic predispositions.

Also also, I wasn't implying that you were dissatisfied with your psychologist. I was just emphasizing the importance of the dosage in its effects, as the effects become completely opposing to what is expected depending on the dose (Seemed to be what you were experiencing, but if you insist this was false, then it probably was, and I apologize for that, too.).
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

POFP

Quote from: PoFP on April 16, 2018, 09:08:19 PM
Also also, I wasn't implying that you were dissatisfied with your psychologist. I was just emphasizing the importance of the dosage in its effects, as the effects become completely opposing to what is expected depending on the dose (Seemed to be what you were experiencing, but if you insist this was false, then it probably was, and I apologize for that, too.).

For instance, I seem to be radically resistant to almost all medications despite my normal weight. So in most cases, a normal dose for one person may quite literally have the opposite effects on me, whereas an increase in my dosage to sometimes double would have the intended effects. This isn't really something psychiatrists always take into account, at least not until they become aware of it for the individual they're prescribing for.

Doktor Howl

I was unaware that there was any effective drug protocol for PTSD.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 17, 2018, 05:05:45 AM
I was unaware that there was any effective drug protocol for PTSD.

I think it's currently "try shit and see if it works" using anxiety meds and therapy.l. I don't.  I actually never paid attention to PTSD treatment because it's almost always focused in treating the singular major traumatic event kind. But I don't know. It's been two whole sessions that weren't even solely on that. It feels like treating my BPII its slightly more important. I don't have all the sexy symptoms of PTSD, just the other ones that aren't super obvious.

POFP

As far as I know, they are actually making some headway with Ketamine on both Depressive/Mood disorders and PTSD. Granted, they are still in the Trial stage at the moment (So I guess you could say it's still "try shit and see if it works.") but it looks quite promising. The known effects of Ketamine don't seem to fit with the effects it's having on these disorders (In that drugs with identical or similar known mechanisms - NMDA Receptor Antagonism - aren't as successful), but once they figure out what mechanism is treating them, it might open up a whole new target for treatment, and may give new insight into the low-level pathology of the disorders.

Personally, I suspect it has a lot to do with the neural activity-stabilization and neuro-protective effects of the Sigma receptors. It's never been tried before (Likely because of its abuse patterns), but I suspect that Dextromethorphan (Polistirex-binded, not HBr), which has similar known effects to Ketamine (NMDA Receptor Antagonism and Sigma Receptor Agonism), could be helpful in treating PTSD as well. It would also have the added benefit of acting on Serotonin (Although, not selectively like most anti-depressants) to treat comorbid depressive symptoms.

Trivial

Friend of a friend was in some PTSD study that involved MDMA. 
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.