News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

"well, you've got an organ going there. No wonder the sound has so much body.

Cainad (dec.)

Got a new job in May, thinking a pay raise and a change in scenery would be the ticket out of my funk.

I'm not in a funk anymore, but the downside is that I now realize that this line of work is really not the way I want to spend the next decade, regardless of employer.

Luckily, I have an extremely specific set of nerd skills and credentials that hopefully make me an ideal candidate for a potentially WAY cooler job, in a less expensive part of the country. So if all goes well I only have to put up with this for a few more months.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on August 18, 2018, 03:25:46 AM
Got a new job in May, thinking a pay raise and a change in scenery would be the ticket out of my funk.

I'm not in a funk anymore, but the downside is that I now realize that this line of work is really not the way I want to spend the next decade, regardless of employer.

Luckily, I have an extremely specific set of nerd skills and credentials that hopefully make me an ideal candidate for a potentially WAY cooler job, in a less expensive part of the country. So if all goes well I only have to put up with this for a few more months.

What line of work are you in, now?
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 18, 2018, 03:41:32 AM

Environmental consulting. There's money there, but the kind of work I'd have to do to advance and start making more money is boring shit. Also, while the new employer does some pretty interesting work (EPA, Puerto Rico, Superfunds, etc), my old employer was honestly a better work environment and a lot of these new jobs are fucking grueling.

The potential new gig involves drones and spectral imaging. Much more my speed.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on August 18, 2018, 03:52:09 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 18, 2018, 03:41:32 AM

Environmental consulting. There's money there, but the kind of work I'd have to do to advance and start making more money is boring shit. Also, while the new employer does some pretty interesting work (EPA, Puerto Rico, Superfunds, etc), my old employer was honestly a better work environment and a lot of these new jobs are fucking grueling.

The potential new gig involves drones and spectral imaging. Much more my speed.

From a man with a weird career path, I say GO FOR IT.
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

They told me they're looking to expand their team later this year/early next year. I happen to already possess a drone pilot license and have an educational background in spectral imaging/remote sensing, in addition to the other resume fodder I've accumulated so far. So I think I've got a strong chance.

Resume is in their hands. Now I just have to tolerate my current situation. I'll have to pay back my relocation bonus for leaving less than year after being hired, but fuck it. It'll be the best $1500 I ever spent.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on August 18, 2018, 04:00:31 AM
They told me they're looking to expand their team later this year/early next year. I happen to already possess a drone pilot license and have an educational background in spectral imaging/remote sensing, in addition to the other resume fodder I've accumulated so far. So I think I've got a strong chance.

Resume is in their hands. Now I just have to tolerate my current situation. I'll have to pay back my relocation bonus for leaving less than year after being hired, but fuck it. It'll be the best $1500 I ever spent.

You need a drone license?
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

FAA Part 107. I suspect it matters a lot more in parts of the country where huge chunks of the airspace is controlled. We have a shit ton of airports down in Swamp Yankee territory, as it turns out.

minuspace

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on August 18, 2018, 04:06:43 AM
FAA Part 107. I suspect it matters a lot more in parts of the country where huge chunks of the airspace is controlled. We have a shit ton of airports down in Swamp Yankee territory, as it turns out.

We honestly never checked that shit.  Our drone at work is controlled by whomever wins the toss.

We also have airports.  Busy ones.  Sometimes it takes 10 minutes to get through security.
Molon Lube

minuspace

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 18, 2018, 04:42:25 AM

We honestly never checked that shit.  Our drone at work is controlled by whomever wins the toss.

We also have airports.  Busy ones.  Sometimes it takes 10 minutes to get through security.

It's something that is technically meant to be governed by the FAA, on account of how easy it is to deliver a "present" via cheap, easily accessible drones. Hence Part 107.

The reality is that the processing for getting a controlled airspace exception takes absurdly long and is completely unusable for commercial operators. It's a legal grey area that will almost definitely need revisiting in the next few years.

At my previous employer, we just called the small airports and let their management/air traffic control know we wanted to fly a drone 100ft off the ground 5 miles away, and no one seemed to mind.

rong

Swamp Yankee Territory??  Where is such a place?
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on August 18, 2018, 03:31:00 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 18, 2018, 04:42:25 AM

It's something that is technically meant to be governed by the FAA, on account of how easy it is to deliver a "present" via cheap, easily accessible drones. Hence Part 107.

The reality is that the processing for getting a controlled airspace exception takes absurdly long and is completely unusable for commercial operators. It's a legal grey area that will almost definitely need revisiting in the next few years.

At my previous employer, we just called the small airports and let their management/air traffic control know we wanted to fly a drone 100ft off the ground 5 miles away, and no one seemed to mind.

We don't have small airports.  They're international.  Yuge.  We have the biggest runways and the best runways ever.  But we are doing this.
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

But you also have, like, open space. Lots of Class G airspace, I'd expect.

Between JFK, Newark, and LaGuardia, and dozens of small private airports and a scattering of military bases, there is almost no uncontrolled space in this part of the country.

But all of that is generally moot, because the FAA, so far as I can tell, has barely any resources put into governing this stuff, much less the will to enforce it. And the airports don't seem to give much of a shit as long as you aren't, ya know, in the way of the planes.