News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Free Russian Orphans with Every Purchase

Started by Cain, July 12, 2017, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on August 23, 2018, 09:00:58 PM
Anyone spoken to therapists much? My appointment is this evening and I am REALLY not looking forward to having someone pick around inside my head, asking personal questions. Does one get used to it?

Yeah.  Don't worry about it.  It's no different than a prostate exam, only on the other end.

Which is to say, "a little squicky and uncomfortable, and you won't ever be glad you did it, but it won't kill you and might make you somewhat better."
Molon Lube

Faust

In your first session they will discuss things in a way you are comfortable with, you might talk about what your goals are for the therapy, but it shouldn't feel like a cross examination, at worst it should feel very formal, in general some therapists are very good at keeping things conversational and relaxed.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

hooplala

Ok thanks. I figured I was getting worked up over nothing.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Q. G. Pennyworth

Anyone spoken to therapists much? My appointment is this evening and I am REALLY not looking forward to having someone pick around inside my head, asking personal questions. Does one get used to it?

Therapy is less someone rooting around in your brain and more someone sitting with you while you clean out the metaphorical fridge. It can be embarrassing or awkward as you get to the rotten stuff, but it's good to have someone there with you holding the garbage bag open.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 23, 2018, 09:33:50 PM

Therapy is less someone rooting around in your brain and more someone sitting with you while you clean out the metaphorical fridge. It can be embarrassing or awkward as you get to the rotten stuff, but it's good to have someone there with you holding the garbage bag open.
having gone to a therapist for the better part of a decade, i can confirm this. A good therapist is there to just stand beside you while you pull out all of your gross shit without gagging and barfing.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

hooplala

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Junkenstein

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 18, 2018, 09:00:09 PM
So I'm at work today, because I had the horrible fucking stomach horrors all week.  Pretty sure I brought up my tonsils, my back teeth, and cake I had at my 5th birthday party.

But while I was away, the mice didn't play.  They did jack & shit.  Piss all.  The purge begins on Tuesday.

"You and you fight to the death. The winner get sacked."
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Ziegejunge

Late as usual, but yeah. Therapy is a generally a good thing, imo. I'm going back 9/6 after a long hiatus (last session was January '17).

I definitely get the apprehension. I was pretty nervous too on my first visits, but I just tried to remind myself that the therapist is there to help, and that openness and honesty on my part is the best way to facilitate that.

I hope your first session goes well!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 23, 2018, 10:55:16 PM
So I'm at work today, because I had the horrible fucking stomach horrors all week.  Pretty sure I brought up my tonsils, my back teeth, and cake I had at my 5th birthday party.

But while I was away, the mice didn't play.  They did jack & shit.  Piss all.  The purge begins on Tuesday.

Purge ongoing.  On Monday of next week, it will be over and I start hiring.
Molon Lube

hooplala

It turned out to be very insightful, even being a fairly brief initial consultation.  I'm glad I went.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 23, 2018, 11:50:17 PM

So... they literally did nothing the whole time you were off sick?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on August 24, 2018, 03:42:15 AM

Not a Goddamn thing.

And now they won't have to.
Molon Lube

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 24, 2018, 04:04:27 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on August 24, 2018, 03:42:15 AM

Not a Goddamn thing.

And now they won't have to.

What a bunch of rank amateurs. You have to at least rearrange the Penske file.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

My mother's first post-treatment test came back.

No cancer.  It's totally gone.

They shut off her estrogen and gave her an estrogen-like replacement hormone, and the cancer just withered up and died in a few weeks.  They removed the tumor from the side, zapped her a couple of times to make sure, and that was that.

This was the weird form of breast cancer that had killed just about every female relative she had.
Molon Lube